Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #1

Jayco 165 Shower Plumbing - switch from black to gray tank

Hi, I'm new here but I thought this information might be helpful to someone else who may owner or consider buying a Jayco 165 Sport.

I recently bought a 2004 model that is in good shape and is pretty much stock. I was surprised to discover that the shower drains directly down into the black water tank, which is only 11 gallons. Meanwhile, the gray tank, which is twice as big only receives water from the sink. That's a terrible design flaw, and a sign of lazy planning and manufacturing.

So last night I re-plumbed it to the gray tank. It took about an hour and cost about $15 in parts.

Here's a shopping list (all pipe is 1 1/2" ABS drain pipe and fittings):
1 - slip-fit drain cap
1 - Vent elbow (that's the tight angle 90 degree bend)
2 - 90 degree elbows
1 - 45 degree street elbow
1 - long sweep sanitary tee (looks like this: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pro...9c4bf_1000.jpg)
1 - 10' abs pipe
1 - black abs glue

I recommend pipe cutters, I actually used sprinkler pipe cutters because cutting the drain between the trailer floor and the black tank happens in a really tight area and I could just barely get the sprinkler pipe cutters around the 1 1/2" pipe.

I routed the new line along the rear of the black tank, in the space between the tank and the floor and attached it directly to the gray water line. I couldn't see a need to take the line directly to the gray tank itself.

Note that you'll need a second person to help push in the pipe that goes along the back of the tank. Everything else is a one person job.

Here are some photos of my install:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...e42dbab906.jpg

http://www.jaycoowners.com/attachmen...7c75933703.jpg

I hope this helps someone else who may find themselves baffled by Jayco's incredibly lazy decision to drain the shower line into the tiny black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
jayco-plumbing-annotated-1.jpg   jayco-plumbing-annotated-2.jpg   holding-tanks.gif   jayco-plumbing-1.jpg   jayco-plumbing-2.jpg  

slippast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast View Post
. I was surprised to discover that the shower drains directly down into the black water tank, which is only 11 gallons. Meanwhile, the gray tank, which is twice as big only receives water from the sink. That's a terrible design flaw, and a sign of lazy planning and manufacturing.

I hope this helps someone else who may find themselves baffled by Jayco's incredibly lazy decision to drain the shower line into the tiny black tank.
Dumb, but quite common by many manufacturers years ago. Theory was to help provide water for a better dumping of the black water tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 PM   #3

Wish I could choose where to drain the sink or tub...when they grey tank starts to fill, switch to the black tank and then back again after dumping.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #4

That's a good suggestion, being able to switch where the water drains makes sense. I think for now I'll just add a couple gallons of water in the black tank after each dump and rinse cycle. I'm still new to RV ownership so I'm hoping I didn't make a bad decision in making this switch over, because reversing it would be very difficult.

I have two kids who need to take baths when I'm camping, 11 gallons just isn't enough capacity! I wonder if anyone has ever installed a larger black tank on the 165? I don't know, that might mess with the weight distribution too much.

Anyway, I know that the 165 is a few years out of production, but for anyone out there who acquires one I hope this info might prove useful.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:41 AM   #5

Hi,
Thanks for posting, I added your modification to my wish list!! I appreciate your detailed diagram

Currently, (bc black tank SO small),
I use tub area as extra, easy access storage. I added a tension shower bar inside for hanging items. The bottom is filled with shallow tubs for smaller items.
*Easy to remove if need to use tub.

*Trying to decide on some type of a top bunk privacy curtain for the kiddo.... Please post if you add that mod yourself or any others!

Happy Camping

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport165 View Post
Hi,
Thanks for posting, I added your modification to my wish list!! I appreciate your detailed diagram

Currently, (bc black tank SO small),
I use tub area as extra, easy access storage. I added a tension shower bar inside for hanging items. The bottom is filled with shallow tubs for smaller items.
*Easy to remove if need to use tub.

*Trying to decide on some type of a top bunk privacy curtain for the kiddo.... Please post if you add that mod yourself or any others!

Happy Camping
Thanks for the feedback! I'm resisting using the tub as storage. When I was growing up my parents never used the trailer bath because it was always full of stuff. With the advent of Keen sandals and the unbearable stench of children's feet I've got to keep my bathtub accessible at all times.

RE the curtain, here's an idea...

Above the exposed corner of the upper bunk screw a large metal washer and a flat-head screw into the ceiling. Then get a hook on a magnet and stick it to the washer (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Five-Po...dp/B01N916JV8/ - maybe something with a slightly weaker magnet). You can remove the hook so that there's no risk of someone being injured when they're struggling to get onto the second bunk.

Then install two permanent hooks (or magnetic hooks if you want to remove the curtain entirely) (https://www.amazon.com/Bonayuanda-Ni...dp/B01KM3PEAU/), one by the cabinet at the head of the bed and one behind the little wall at the foot of the bed.

Then, when you need privacy, you can attach the magnetic hook and run a curtain from the permanent hooks to the temporary magnetic one. When not in use you can use the two hooks to hang the curtain out of the way.

Bam! Instant privacy!

I attached a highly technical architectural sketch of the implementation plan. Let me know if you try it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Privacy-curtain.gif  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippast View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I'm resisting using the tub as storage. When I was growing up my parents never used the trailer bath because it was always full of stuff. With the advent of Keen sandals and the unbearable stench of children's feet I've got to keep my bathtub accessible at all times.

RE the curtain, here's an idea...

Above the exposed corner of the upper bunk screw a large metal washer and a flat-head screw into the ceiling. Then get a hook on a magnet and stick it to the washer (like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ninth-Five-Po...dp/B01N916JV8/ - maybe something with a slightly weaker magnet). You can remove the hook so that there's no risk of someone being injured when they're struggling to get onto the second bunk.

Then install two permanent hooks (or magnetic hooks if you want to remove the curtain entirely) (https://www.amazon.com/Bonayuanda-Ni...dp/B01KM3PEAU/), one by the cabinet at the head of the bed and one behind the little wall at the foot of the bed.

Then, when you need privacy, you can attach the magnetic hook and run a curtain from the permanent hooks to the temporary magnetic one. When not in use you can use the two hooks to hang the curtain out of the way.

Bam! Instant privacy!

I attached a highly technical architectural sketch of the implementation plan. Let me know if you try it out!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Lexus GX470
Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 PM   #8

Hi SlipPast!!

Just wanted to ask if you could do me a favor and take a picture of your bathroom fan vent? & Post here for me to see??

Sorry to bother you about it, but You're the only person I know with the 2004 trailer just like mine!

I went to replace my old crumbled fan blade with one a Jayco dealership gave me about a year ago when I first picked up the trailer, but I can't figure out how to make it stay on the little motor spindle thing that it attaches to, which makes it spin!!

I put it in place but it just falls back off, and I realized I don't actually know exactly what it's supposed to look like, and I've searched online but I can't locate a picture!

Which is where you come in. If you have the time to take a picture... I completely understand if you don't. But if you can, I certainly appreciate it!!

I'd like to be able to get this fan blade situated before my trip next week, it's going to be hot and Utah. If I just can't make it work, my next plan of action is to stop at Jayco if I happen to drive by one on the trip. Or on another trip...

Alrighty, thank you for your time!!!

*PS I understand and completely respect why you'd like to keep your tub as a tub, I have a 10 year-old boy! Enough said haha

2004 Lexus GX470