Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #1

Jayco 166 SBF - problem with rails vinyl insert

Picked up my brand new 166 FBS from Manteca trailers….had to drive all the way from San Diego as locally the prices were 20% higher…

After 15 miles the side vinyl trims that run top to bottom on the front of the trailer started flapping around….. made a U turn and went back to the dealer.

Long story short : either I left it there and would have to drive back another time ( 450 miles….) or they temporarily fixed it and told me to find a dealer locally and use the warranty.

Drove home with trailer….

Now : local dealer la mesa RV will only service trailers he has sold ….
Any advice ? The next closest dealer is 1,5 hour drive away….. this really sucks.

The vynil inserts cannot be re-inserted in the rails as the latter have been pressed too much at the manufacturer …so there is no space. The present temporary fix has been to silicone them back on and screw them on the rails evey 2/3 feet …they are holding well but I am afraid that water might eventually get through the screws….
Pippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

This is a strange one, sorry you have to deal with that! Post pictures and let’s talk more
Old 11-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #3

And change your title to the correct model alphas or repost so you get more action
Old 11-27-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

The purpose of those inserts is to cover the screws that are underneath, If you screw through the vinyl you are defeating the purpose and will make it more susceptible to leaks. You can but new vinyl of various widths and colors from Amazon or other sources. You want to order the vinyl just a bit wider that the channel it goes into. It helps if you do it in warmer weather so that it is a bit flexible. Check for YouTube videos on how to do it properly.

Welcome to the world of RV's where you are your best technician. Dealers frankly suck and their service is even worse. What you were told by La Mesa RV is one reason I would never set foot on their property. I drive by the Camping World on Boulder Highway in Henderson, Nevada about twice a month. Their parking lot is overflowing with RV's of every type waiting for service. All are out in the open in the unsecured parking lot just waiting for someone to break in and steal whatever they want.

Your adventure has just begun....good luck!

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:49 PM   #5
EJH

Pippo, I hope you get resolution. Keep us posted.

We pay higher prices, on average, on the west coast. I could save 20% taking a week and picking up a trailer 1,000'miles away. That doesn't make sense. Is shipping really that high?

One dealer near me has a sign right out front stating they prioritize service on units purchased from them

It doesn't seem legal but is what it is. We thought about traveling across the country to save a bunch also, but decided not to risk needing warranty work.

I have heard some owners are able to use independent repair shops for warranty work, after contacting and complaining to Jayco (or whatever the manufacturer was). Maybe try to reach out to the corporate contacts?

Good luck.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #6

Really appreciate all the help
The problem are thexrails that are squashed down…so no space to insert a new vinyl strap….
Old 11-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

Rails and vinyls

Here are the photo
Attached Thumbnails
BEF343A3-32E0-46A2-9234-977AE4019328.jpg   AC7910BC-3BF9-4DC2-BF60-8D308B6A67A3.jpg   8E661BFD-0765-4832-A390-5EBD5C5BF0F3.jpg  
Old 11-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
EJH

IMHO: Take it back to the purchasing dealer. Also contact Jayco on your own. I know the drive sucks.

It does looks like the black corner strip with the screws could be replaced (middle picture). I assume they replace that corner strip, place the vinyl strip on and push the rails down to secure the vinyl, or maybe they have a tool that helps guide the vinyl into the rails?

If you try yourself without replacing the corner plastic looking screwed strip, try a heat gun to make the vinyl or rails pliable. I bet with some tools like automobile plastic trim removal tools you could pry up the rails and ease the vinyl back. It would be tedious.

And I know what I am adding to my PDI checklist.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:29 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the suggestions and tips
I emailed Jayco today telling them about the situation and of possible solutions

I don’t think I should do the job myself ( using a tool to lift the rails and create space for the insert) considering what I payed and the 2 year warranty..

Lets see the reply…
Old 11-30-2021, 06:02 PM   #10

Super helpful
They gave me green light to use an independent service , bearing the condition ( and I totally understand) I show them an estimate with a detailed breakdown before getting final approval

That’s kool
Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 PM   #11

Man, right out of the gate issues are rough, BUT you went through it and now you are empowered to deal with stuff that might come up like freaking pro! And we are always here for emotional support in the “lite travel trailer” section. Cheers and update us when it’s resolved.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:50 AM   #12

Update

Just wanted to update on my issue.
The people at Jayco are REALLY REALLY helpful on the matter and are helping me out in finding the best solution.
Top quality service

Soon pictures …..
Old 12-08-2021, 01:11 PM   #13

Rails

I have had mine done twice along with all the other times I put them back on my own and mine is a 2019, I asked if they made a heavier duty one and they said no, so this time I guess they put some caulking or something behind it. Only time will tell, cause it only di on my long road trip of alot of freeway. Good luck.
Jeremym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:37 PM   #14

Glad to hear Jayco is helping you out. We have found Jayco customer service to be pretty good - prompt and supportive.

Our trim was broken out in a hail storm. Gorilla tape held it okay until we got home. I ordered some trim from Amazon that had top reviews. Got a big roll of it for not that much. I was easy to apply. In the process I backed out each screw, checked for rust, filled hole with dicor and replaced screw. Took some time, but gave me a chance to check things out. New trim is still good after several thousand highway miles.

Hope your project goes well and best wishes for great trouble-free RVing!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote