Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #1

Jayco 17 Ex-Port egg smell water issues

Went camping over the weekend and normally my Hot water smells like eggs but my cold water was typically good since i am hooked up to city water, However this time the Cold was also smelling like eggs. I checked the line at the source and it was definitely my side.

So i have drained the Hot water and Cold water, I have a hot water plug and i have pulled that but i don't see where an anode rod might be?

I am wondering what I should use to clean the hot and cold water tanks for safety since we have a big trip coming up next week.

If i am cleaning the cold water tank will putting it in the portable water help clean out the city water lines?
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to JOF

Depending on the initial water source, sometimes leaving the hot water tank full when stored between camping trips can produce a smell, I've had it happen to me so I drain my tank between trips.

Sounds like it would be best to sanitize your entire system with a bleach solution..., refer to your owners manual for directions. I do this once in the fall and again in the spring.

Also, the particular hot water tank you have is aluminum so an anode rod isn't required. Please note that it's important to always use a plastic drain plug because a metal plug will initiate corrosion (dis-similar metals). When removing the plastic plug clean any residue that is built up inside the plug.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #3

So after i flush the cold water and hot water and sanitize, i just need to keep draining it in between trips to stay away from the egg smell.
SeanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Many folks find that they don't have to drain between trips, but the length of time the once heated water sits in the tank may be a factor. I have found if the outside temp remains hot while in storage that's when I can get the "eggy" smell.

Also, the water source can be a factor (well, city, etc.). You don't have to drain the cold/hot water lines between trips.

I think the fact that the water being heated for a period of time and then cooled down may play into it as well.

Trial and error I guess!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #5

I had it happen to me in the summer once so after sanitizing I drain water heater after every trip
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

The "eggy" smell is bacteria in your hot water tank. So what Bob said about sanitizing is what will fix this. We used to get this in our old Kiwi 17a. I would have to sanitize 3 times a season to keep it clean.

Empty the hot water tank. Fill your fresh storage tank with water and a half cup of plain unscented bleach. Turn the pump on to fill the hot water tank and turn all the faucets on to get the bleach water in all the lines. Let it sit over night. Drain, follow same procedure with baking soda instead of bleach (the baking soda neutralizes most of the bleach smell). Do the entire thing again with the bleach followed by the baking soda.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

Yup, been there. Run a bleach solution throughout your system to kill the bacteria. Ever since this happened to me, I drain EVERYTHING after every trip. Easiest way for me is to simply open my low point drains and open my bathroom faucet. Opening the faucet breaks the vacuum. Water drains out on the drive home and leaves me with empty tanks. Haven't had the smell since!
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote