Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2016, 08:51 AM   #21

My Jeep has pulled my camper roughly 8-10,000 miles. I towed my camper with my jeep straight across the Rockies in I-70 past 11,000 feet elevation. Pulled as well as any other tow combo. I've towed from Kansas City to Moab. I towed my camper all the way around Lake Michigan, and it's towed all over the Ozarks. My Jeep has 3:73 axels and I added a larger transmission cooler. I tow with the OD off. If I tow at 62mph, it hardly ever downshifts. I've gotten as good of 14mpg while towing in no-wind, flat lands to as low as 8mpg towing across Kansas with a 30mph headwind. Going west across Kansas is always headwinds and altitude. Kansas City is about 1000 feel elevation. Western Kansas is 4000, so it's 400 miles of up hill.

As for the bumper, I carry 4 bikes on it. I bought a receiver hitch from Amazon. I took the hitch and my camper to a local welder and asked him to take as much of the load as possible and move it to the actual frame. Works very well. No bounce at all. It was a good mod. I moved the spare tire a little to the left, and the bikes favor the right side.

As for the dinette mod, it was probably the easiest. I just cut a 1 inch oak dowel and placed it against the wall at the same height as supports that hold the table. Sorry no pics now. I'm in vacation in MX. I'll see if I can post pics later.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:36 PM   #22

I had also done the dinette-dowel mod to our 184BH. Here is the info I used:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...2-a-13510.html
jkorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 PM   #23

I just purchased a 184BH and want to keep this thread alive. Everything I own, I tend to modify and dork with it until my wife tells me to leave it alone. Lots of great and practical ideas here.
First off on my list is the front stabilizers and then the lousy radio has to go. Mounting a small Champion 3100 generator up front is also a priority- I need my air conditioning!
Thanks for all the ideas- now post up a picture of some of these interior mods. Interested to see some of those TV installations.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:10 PM   #24

Supergenproducts.com sells a quiet champion 2000 watt generator for $399. It'll run the campers AC no sweat. About half the weight.

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:50 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkuzme1 View Post
Supergenproducts.com sells a quiet champion 2000 watt generator for $399. It'll run the campers AC no sweat. About half the weight.
I thought about sticking with a smaller generator, but I also will use it as a backup for my furnace when the snow storms take out my power out here in the sticks of VT. The small 8K BTU air conditioner doesn't draw much at all... but my plan is to replace my 1K generator and my old 3500 which is super loud with just one modern quiet one.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #26

Here is a link to some mods done on this trailer. Have a look.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/se...archid=1354227
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #27

Replaced bathtub with vanity on 184BH

We purchased our 184BH about a year ago and are very happy with it. We found we were not using the bathtub and thought a vanity would be a more useful item in our unit. Was actually easier than I thought because the bathtub is 24 inches wide which means a 24 inch vanity pretty much is a direct fit. Purchased a 24 inch vanity and faucet from ikea for $50, a scrap cabinet door for a counter, a rv sink bowl, some pex and fittings and voila! Did it all over 1 weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
20160723_152402.jpg  
FSommers is offline   Reply With Quote