Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 02:20 AM   #11

After thinking my batteries fit, it turned out that I couldn't get the cover on one of the battery boxes. This was because the regulator was in the way. Then I thought I could take my trailer in and have the battery mounts moved to the bottom of the frame to get the box clearance needed for my 6 volt batteries. A local trailer repair place quoted me $150 sight unseen to cut the racks and re weld them in the lower location. On the morning I was taking the trailer in, I discovered that dropping the rack would still not give me clearance for the boxes. ( apparently I'm not very smart ). I took the trailer in any way to get some hands on advice on how to get my trailer operational with the two 6 volt batteries.

The tech was awesome! He said I could avoid all costs from his shop and just move the lp regulator over more centred. This would allow the batteries to fit nicely on either side of the regulator. It was only 10 min from home, but since I was there I asked how much the shop charge was if I got them to do it. $50 was the answer. Since I was there and was already saving $100 from the original quote I decided to let them do the work for me. Now I have the two batteries, room for two tanks, and have already gone camping with it. I have other smaller problems, but I will save those foe other threads. Thanks to all who gave great advice!

3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #12

I had a 197 like yours. I put a second battery, along with the first, in a nice PLANO tool box and mounted it where the old battery box sat. I even vented it with a couple of plastic plumbing elbows. Worked like a charm.

I traded the 2008 for a 2012 with a pull out, let the batteries go with the 2008. In my amazing brilliance, I bought two nice BIG deep cycle batteries that were on sale. Crap! They wouldn't fit in the PLANO box. I needed the trailer to be operational so I built a wooden box to hold the batteries, at least until I can find a factory box. The 2012 197 has two 20 lb. tanks.

I also have two good batteries in my old Suburban, one with a cutout. I am not sure what people are doing to wear down batteries, but I know I can last for a while.Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery box.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	8521

kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #13

So far so good. I spent 3 nights boondocking with 2 propane tanks one for the fridge and hot water. The other one for my propane fire pit. Came back with enough propane left to go again. 2 golf cart batteries with one 40w solar panel and each day I went to bed with as much power as when I arrived. Used the water pump sparingly as well as using the lights only when necessary, they are all LED. We will have to use the campground bathrooms more often, because my small black tank was full by the time we left. Water was running low as well. I had to bring water in to refill the fresh tank. I'm very please with my set up now.

3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote