Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

Jayco 199mbs

This is the camper that my wife and I are looking at pretty hard as it is pretty much perfect. Does anyone actually have one? Likes, dislikes? We have 2 towing vehicles, 2017 Nissan Titan with the gas V8, a 9,230 lb towing limit with a 920 lb tongue weight limit and payload of 1610 lbs. We also have a 2021 Jeep Gladiator with a 7,000 lb tow limit, 700 lb tongue weight limit and payload of 1,200. Both trucks have brake controllers. I'm worried about towing the 199MBS with the Gladiator due to the heavy dry tongue weight of the 199MBS at 660lbs. Surly I'll be over. I would be using a WDH but I hear mixed reviews on them actually redistributing tongue weight forward and back to the TT axle. Thoughts, opinions? Thanks!
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 02:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
snip...... I'm worried about towing the 199MBS with the Gladiator due to the heavy dry tongue weight of the 199MBS at 660lbs. Surly I'll be over. I would be using a WDH but I hear mixed reviews on them actually redistributing tongue weight forward and back to the TT axle....snip
Riggs,

Welcome to JOF

When 'engaged' a properly rated/adjusted WDH is designed to 'restore' the weight removed from the TV's front suspension due to the effect of the TT's loaded tongue weight being placed on the TV hitch ball. Weight is distributed 'off' the TV's rear axle while the tongue weight placed on the TV's hitch ball remains fairly constant.

Due to the inherit physics of the WDH and spring bar leveraging when engaged, there is some incremental weight transferred back to the TT axle(s), but the primary objective is addressing the TV's front suspension.

A 2021 199MBS loaded to its GVWR of 5,750lbs, the recommended loaded weight would fall in the 748ib to 863lb range (13% to 15% of gross weight).

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:17 PM   #3

X2 on everything Bob said.

Double check your owners manuals about the tongue weight. Most have two weight limits, deadweight, that is without a WDH, and a limit with WDH. For example my Silverado has an 800# deadweight tongue limit, and 1200# with a WDH. It's entirely possible your Jeep has a similar dual rating.

That said a WDH does work. My trailer is only 4500# loaded and I use a Fastway E2 with my Silverado. Tows wonderful. The hitch keeps everything stable and proper weight on my front tires.
DocBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:45 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. May just have to find a different camper.
Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote