Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #11

Sanman,

I agree with Sean45 that you are well within the towing/loading limits of your tow vehicle with a loaded trailer weighing 5,500 lbs. The only time you MIGHT notice a slowdown would be pulling the trailer up mountains that are in the 1,000 feet range. For every 1,000 feet in elevation you climb your tow vehicle loses 3 percent of its towing efficiency. At 10,000 feet your tow vehicle could pull 5,500 lbs but it would be straining.

Having pulled two different trailers in the Rocky Mountains with a tow vehicle that was straining, I would do it again in a heartbeat because MOST of our towing was at lower elevations. I would rather have the added creature comforts of the heavier trailer rather than settle for a lighter weight trailer just because I want to tow in the Rockies once a year.

Just my experience and preferences.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 PM   #12

Thanks Guys

Texas Sam and everybody else. Thanks for the advice. We will almost certainly be getting the 213. I like they space the slide adds to the unit. I am now confident my vehicle can tow the trailer. I need a brake controller and weight distribution hitch now thwn ready to really start looking. We will for sure buy something by spring and I will let you guys know what we end up with.

Again
Thanks
Sanman

sanm,an68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #13

Take a look at the Reese Dual Cam weight distribution hitch, the Prodigy brake controller and McKesh towing mirrors. We have been very satisfied with all three products for the five years we have been using them with our trailers.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:19 PM   #14

that's a nice lay out-- I've never seen that before.
If you vehicle tows 7200 and the GVW of the 213 is 5500-- that looks good to me-- only thing I'd be concerned about is the short wheel base on the TV. Having towed with a shorter wheel base TV and a 25' trailer in the past. To say that it was a bit of a white knuckle adventure every time we towed (and we towed it half way across the country every summer) would be a understatement. But you got what you got. Obviously you'll weight distribution bars may want to look at a sway control bar as well.

Good Luck!

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #15

We bought a 2017 X213 and tow it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4.7 L.
No problem so far towing. I have the e2 WDH and the Prodigy brake controller. Excellent products.
I hope you have fun with the X213.

wvcmgbv8 is offline   Reply With Quote