Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #1

Jayco Hummingbird

Greetings! I’m a Hummingbird owner and I thought a new thread here would be helpful. We have a 2018 17rk and we love it. There have been a few issues but all minor. Here are a couple of topics I’d like to put out there:
  1. Fresh water tank
  2. Sway control
  3. Black Tank valve
  4. Knobby tires

The fresh water tank is underneath the floor and is not visible. My only concern is that I can’t be sure it’s empty. Any issues with that?

I’m wondering if I need a sway bar. I’d have to move the electric plug “holster” to attach the tongue attachment if I added one. Thoughts?

It seems like the cable closure doesn’t fully close and black “stuff” fills the pipe. Any solutions?

I’m wondering if regular tires would be ok when it’s time to replace the knobby ones on the Baja edition.

That’s it for now. I’m happy to discuss other stuff too 🙂
Terra Hote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Use the low point drain to empty your tank.

All trailers sway. Yours sways less than most but should still use a sway bar.

Can't imagine why your cable connection is getting so dirty but it can easily be replaced.

The tire placard displayed on the unit specifies which tires are required.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:26 PM   #3

Using Easyhitch2 equalizer with sway control on a Hummingbird 16FD with 4Runner - works great and doesn't need the A-frame mounted friction thing.
Paulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #4

Lots of folks like the Anderson hitch for the lighter trailers.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo19 View Post
Using Easyhitch2 equalizer with sway control on a Hummingbird 16FD with 4Runner - works great and doesn't need the A-frame mounted friction thing.
Welcome to the forum from a former resident of Ft. Collins.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Hote View Post
Greetings! I’m a Hummingbird owner and I thought a new thread here would be helpful. We have a 2018 17rk and we love it. There have been a few issues but all minor. Here are a couple of topics I’d like to put out there:
  1. Fresh water tank
  2. Sway control
  3. Black Tank valve
  4. Knobby tires

The fresh water tank is underneath the floor and is not visible. My only concern is that I can’t be sure it’s empty. Any issues with that?

I’m wondering if I need a sway bar. I’d have to move the electric plug “holster” to attach the tongue attachment if I added one. Thoughts?

It seems like the cable closure doesn’t fully close and black “stuff” fills the pipe. Any solutions?

I’m wondering if regular tires would be ok when it’s time to replace the knobby ones on the Baja edition.

That’s it for now. I’m happy to discuss other stuff too 🙂
Welcome Terra Hote - we love our 17RK and don't have any tank issues w the cable (yet) after a season (a dozen trips) and a 2 more in 2019 already... we did have the valance over the 'emergency' (bedroom) window fall off the wall, and one of our tail lights filled up with water and burnt out a couple of the LED bulbs but she's going in for service in a few weeks just to tighten up any year one-into-two warranty bugs.

We tow with a big Tahoe and don't use sway bars because of the good match -a little bouncy and sway barely noticeable though if/when we upgrade to anything longer we will check all of that out ($) sigh. Be safe - get what makes you comfortable.

Enjoy and happy camping!

Rob & Lynda
Jayco Hummingbird 17RK
tv: 2015 Chevy Tahoe LS
Finding our joy daily in camping, wine, golf, NASCAR and state parks!
njhappycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicDude View Post
Lots of folks like the Anderson hitch for the lighter trailers.
I just installed a anderson hitch on my Hummingbird 16MRB. IT took less than 1 hour to install. Works great!!! I would suggest buying it on Amazon for the cheapest price I found with free shipping.
rbowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #8

Our black tank valve leaked a little too so I added one of these on the end of the black tank pipe. Easier and quicker than taking it back to dealer. No problems yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...dDbGljaz10cnVl
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:18 PM   #9

Your tire placard tells you what SIZE of tire to use, not what tread pattern. I'm not really sure there is any point to AT tires other than marketing for these things. It is a towed vehicle, so it is only going to roll over things, it isn't trying to power over them.

Full disclosure: I have a SLX 17RD Baja edition with the 'knobbie' tires.
PoulsboJohnny is offline   Reply With Quote