Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-30-2017, 06:44 AM   #1

Jayco Hummingbird Questions

Wife and I travel with our Boston Terrier and are. considering a Hummingbird. Just wanting to hear from other Hummingbird owners about their experience with Hummingbirds. Particularly qualkty, durability, fit and fi ish.
BigGrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #2

My wife and I travel with our 50+ lb pit bull mix in our HB 17RK and we're very happy. Our TV is a 2000 Toyota Landcruiser and it tows just fine. The mattress was a killer, but a mattress topper has made things much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmcdermo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:54 AM   #3

Quality?

thanks, How long have you had it? Any issues with quality or slide out?
Old 08-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGrover View Post
thanks, How long have you had it? Any issues with quality or slide out?

We picked it up this past April and have been out almost every other weekend since, including a one-week trip to the Eclipse. That's are a few minor interior trim issues that we are planning on getting fixed in a warranty trip to the dealer at the end of the season. No trouble with the slide. I'm seriously thinking of adding a slide-topper before the end of the season to keep it that way.

I did upgrade the battery to a higher capacity deep cycle AGM battery and I haven't regretted it. As far as interior mods we added a push button led battery light in the bath room (saw it here on the forums). Added two more push button battery powered puck lights for reading in bed on each side of the emergency window and I relocated one net and I'm about to relocate another. They were too low to the mattress to be much use. Also, 3m command hooks are your friend. We've got them everywhere: 3 to hold coats and leashes by the door, 3 along the wall to the bathroom and 3 more on the sides of the slide for hats and other things. I also installed a digital (heat only) Honeywell thermostat for the heater (saw it on these forums).

We were looking for a starter trailer that the Landcruiser could tow and that's exactly what we got. We looked at R-pods and the HB the same day, back to back and we liked the HB so much better as far as quality and features.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:05 PM   #5

We typically travel with two Rat Terriers.

Love our 17RK, there's no other TT we'd rather have at the moment. It's been perfect for our family of three plus two furry family members.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #6

Thanks Gor the feedback

going Saturday to decide between the 27 FD and RK
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #7

Everyone has their own priorities and the large sitting area in the FD is appealing, but do not overlook the extra counter space and storage space in the kitchen of the RK. Our traveling friends with a much fancier Class C motor home are jealous of the RK kitchen

Old 08-31-2017, 07:57 PM   #8

The RK kitchen, couterspace and storage space sold us.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

We are also fans of the RK

We also chose the RK because of the increased counter space and extra space in the kitchen. The extra floor space in the kitchen also ensures our 60# furry princess has plenty of dog bed space out from in front of the bathroom door at night. We changed out the mattress after the first weekend out and have had it in for warranty work for a leak in the bathroom, a noisy A/C fan and disappearing motor caps on the awning...all since April and about 30 nights of use.
KT in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 06:10 PM   #10

Concerns

That's one of my concerns, quality. My dealer has a slow turn around time because of a service backlog. Three week minimum. I noticed the quality on my Forest River seemed better than that on my 16 XRB Jayco. I may just wait on a Parkliner or Airstream.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Quality?

Our Hummingbird 17RK is not perfect, but I don't think any TT is. We have ours in for our first warranty service after nearly 30 nights of use. Everything was minor stuff and only the problem getting the WH to light on propane would have impacted our camping experience. I don't think that's too bad. From what we saw, when we were shopping, it was easily the best buy for the $$. Sure we will probably upgrade some day, but an Airstream is in a whole different class of investment.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdermo View Post
Our Hummingbird 17RK is not perfect, but I don't think any TT is. We have ours in for our first warranty service after nearly 30 nights of use. Everything was minor stuff and only the problem getting the WH to light on propane would have impacted our camping experience. I don't think that's too bad. From what we saw, when we were shopping, it was easily the best buy for the $$. Sure we will probably upgrade some day, but an Airstream is in a whole different class of investment.
What did your dealer find on your water heater problem? My 17RK water heater has started to fault every time I turn on switch, thinking WH propane valve, because I can hear igniter.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech411 View Post
What did your dealer find on your water heater problem? My 17RK water heater has started to fault every time I turn on switch, thinking WH propane valve, because I can hear igniter.

They claim it was the spark gap. I could hear the igniter and even smell propane. A buddy was brave enough to watch the heater and even saw spark. But, apparently it wasn’t enough. Whatever they did, it now lights right away.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #14

Absolutely love my 17RB. I don't care much about the counter space as most out cooking is on the grill or small stuff. For me the wet bath was not desirable. To each their own it's all in how you are going to use it.

I have had small trailers in the past and even large race rigs like renegade and Show haulers. So far very happy with the build on the jayco.
Promod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:29 AM   #15

Love our RK. The issues we had were

1. The furnace stopped working. Turns out a wire was against the furnace
and the heat melted it. Fixed under warranty.

2. The black water tank valve leaks, so that when I take the cap off, black water comes out. Ugh. I bought a valve to attach to the end of the pipe where the cap fits, and that solved the problem.

3. The outdoor light strip stopped working. The dealer didn't know how to fix it, but I just removed the dongle that interacts with the remote control and hard wired it, so I just get white lights, nothing fancy, but that's all we need anyhow.

We tow it with a Honda Pilot. Really easy to tow and park.
Yosterizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #16

HB 17RB is so good

We are out on third trip in the HB 17RB 2017 model. Appreciate all the posts on mods, fix-its, and more. We bought it in August. Learning more each trip😁 The WH does not ignite on propane. Igniter seems to ne working. That will be a service/warranty call. Nothing else major. We opted for the RB, but that's a personal preference. Jeep Cherokee is TV. Crossed the Divide and mountain passes easily to get to SW CO.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcdermo View Post
We picked it up this past April and have been out almost every other weekend since, including a one-week trip to the Eclipse. That's are a few minor interior trim issues that we are planning on getting fixed in a warranty trip to the dealer at the end of the season. No trouble with the slide. I'm seriously thinking of adding a slide-topper before the end of the season to keep it that way.

I did upgrade the battery to a higher capacity deep cycle AGM battery and I haven't regretted it. As far as interior mods we added a push button led battery light in the bath room (saw it here on the forums). Added two more push button battery powered puck lights for reading in bed on each side of the emergency window and I relocated one net and I'm about to relocate another. They were too low to the mattress to be much use. Also, 3m command hooks are your friend. We've got them everywhere: 3 to hold coats and leashes by the door, 3 along the wall to the bathroom and 3 more on the sides of the slide for hats and other things. I also installed a digital (heat only) Honeywell thermostat for the heater (saw it on these forums).

We were looking for a starter trailer that the Landcruiser could tow and that's exactly what we got. We looked at R-pods and the HB the same day, back to back and we liked the HB so much better as far as quality and features.
Jmc, what are the no regets about with the new battery Totally agree about the 3M hooks..
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campster View Post
We are out on third trip in the HB 17RB 2017 model. We opted for the RB, but that's a personal preference. Jeep Cherokee is TV. Crossed the Divide and mountain passes easily to get to SW CO.

We too tow with a Cherokee - trailhawk tow package, and RB 2017. No problems so far except for the outdoor strip light that our dealer broke when replacing the awning. Warranty before we picked it up. Happy trails Campster!
RufusBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosterizer View Post
1. The furnace stopped working. Turns out a wire was against the furnace
and the heat melted it. Fixed under warranty.

2. The black water tank valve leaks, so that when I take the cap off, black water comes out. Ugh. I bought a valve to attach to the end of the pipe where the cap fits, and that solved the problem.

3. The outdoor light strip stopped working. The dealer didn't know how to fix it, but I just removed the dongle that interacts with the remote control and hard wired it, so I just get white lights, nothing fancy, but that's all we need anyhow.

We tow it with a Honda Pilot. Really easy to tow and park.
My strip light had the same issue. Caught it on the pre delivery inspection. My dealer changed out the dongle thing you speak of and it's been working fine ever since. May want to look into a replacement if you want the remote option.
Promod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 08:25 AM   #20

Please can someone tell me how/where to light the furnace. It's our first run with our 2017 HB and it's gotten chilly. We cannot find anything in the manual....
Manzo is offline   Reply With Quote