Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-01-2017, 08:23 PM   #61

Filetaos & 154bh mods

Filetaos - where do I start? You didn't mention what year your 154BH is, so I'll just wing it. I have a 2016 Jayco 154BH, Baja Edition, and have made several mods to it - some of which might (or not) benefit you. First - table "bar" mod: if you'll use this to make it easier to convert it to the larger bed, be cautious - installing that bar (as I have), requires turning the bed around so the "pivoting" works, because the larger width of the table against the front end of the trailer will not allow the table to pivot on the bar (it's too wide), also using the bar will "peel" the table top from the wood beneath it, so consider that. Secondly, I'd look into getting a 5"x5" square 8' plastic fence post in which to keep your sewage hose in - the back bumper will tear up the flimsy, short sewer hose Jayco provides. Regarding that same subject: recommend a better quality 20' sewage hose with appropriate attachments. I STRONGLY urge you to NOT install drawers under the sink - should you have any freeze problems (especially living in Canada), you may not want undersink drawers getting in the way while trying to diagnose/fix broken pipes or water lines. To help with storage and bunk bed/larger bed integrity, I removed the flimsy plywood from under bunk beds and seating around table, and replaced it with thicker plywood. I used the flimsy plywood to make shelves in the "wardrobe" (by the front door) and in the "pantry" to enhance storage space. This has really worked well in using space for gear, pots/pans, and food (in the pantry). I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the mods I've made, but I'll try to include an attached photo of the bunk bed mod I made to the upper bunk to prevent ME from falling out of bed! OK, here goes nothing - hope this diatribe has helped. - Jeff PS - you pique my curiousity, don't you already have LED lights?!
Attached Thumbnails
BUNKSAFETY.jpg  
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #62

Criminey - my bad! I apologize to Filetaos & JOF; I didn't notice F...'s post was more than 2 years old - how embarrassing for me. As Rosanna Anna Danna used to say, "Never Mind". Hope no one gives me a quiz. - Jeff
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:42 PM   #63

Love our SLX

We bought our SLX 145rb new in 2015 and love it. Perfect for empty nesters to take for a weekend. It tows easily behind our smallish truck (except up mountains, as in Jackson WY). I have made many mods that are detailed elsewhere. But if we ever replaced our trailer, it would be for a SLX 175rd with the U-shaped rear dinette and a separate full-time bed.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #64

Thumbs up New to Jayco Swift

I’ve just joined this forum after searching for others enjoying the Swift 154BH like the one we’ve recently purchased. Ours is a 2012 preowned unit we found at Camping World after searching online for something the two of us could enjoy now without having to purchase a larger vehicle than our Lexus SUV, deciding not to wait longer to enjoy camping & traveling once we restored our Vintage 15’ camper. It was everything the Ad described and much, much more!
We made the deal and, after preparing our SUV for trailer brakes, we hooked it up and spent the next 3 days camping in VA. Over the years (I’m now retired) we’ve each had other TT’s and were surprised at how light, well equipped and constructed the small unit really is! Though we don’t have a need for the bunks, they work well for extra storage and for our Schnauzer puppy’s crate.
We’ve now had it for 4 months, have camped in 3 states and loved every moment, learning some of the limitations discussed in this thread and discovering ways to overcome them. Yes, the tanks are small, so we’ve learned to search for full hookups for camping more than overnight, I’ve added a 2nd LP tank, added a slide-out drawer under the bunk, added stabilizers also to the front, swapped the scissor-legs of the heavy table for the swing-down wall-mount type, added a memory-foam mattress for there and now changing the outlets over to USB style.
I’m 5’10” and find the height inside adequate, even in the shower (no doubt due to the skylight so thoughtfully included in the Jayco), plus this is the first TT we’ve experienced with a “built-in” AC unit, keeping the outside height low enough to go under the canopy we already had for our vintage camper. I have to admit, today we stopped at a local RV dealer for a replacement door catch and took a few minutes to look at some new similar-sized TT’s on sale, only to discover how much nicer our little Jayco really is than other popular brands! We were very fortunate we ran across this unit when we did, it was a very smart buy for us.
Partsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 08:16 PM   #65

Congratulations on the new-to-you Swift and welcome to the forum.

Seems like you really hit the ground running with the modifications you've made and the trips you've taken!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 04:20 AM   #66

We have a 2016 154bh and also love it! Small enough to go to state campgrounds that have small spaces, easy to pull. Only complaint I had was the table to bed breakdown. I cut eight inches off the table, move the rear leg 8 inches forward. Can still seat 4 people and is now lighter and easy to get in and out of seating. We try to camp 3-4 nights each month, love it.
kennyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:15 AM   #67

Filetaos, you mentioned you were going to LED inside, which I did already, but should have gone with bright white instead of warm white, at least in the open area and above the counter. Not an expensive change via a 10-pack on Amazon and very easy to do, as well as changing the outside lights, too.
For anyone considering changing the table over to the swing-down wall-mount type as I did (like our vintage camper used), so my wife could handle the heavy top, keep in mind there’s no wood backing in the front wall where you’ll mount the brackets, so you’ll need to always gingerly raise & lower the top to keep from pulling off the top brackets. Also, if you install the top wall brackets an inch to the right, it will allow a little more room to access the counter side seating and the wire bracket should allow you to slide the top to center when lowering onto the seat supports. One other tip: if you choose to install the recessed post mount in the floor as I did, be sure to also install it off-center to the right, as there is a floor support running front to back dead center of the floor under the table! With the recessed floor mount and the tapered table mount, the removable post length on mine turned out to be 29 1/2” for a perfectly level table. Because the front wall is angled, the locking brackets on the table will need to be angled slightly to match the angle to lock securely at the wall, which I did with a plastic hammer with the table top removed. I didn’t take photos during the process because the parts arrived just before we were heading out to camp. Since we use a folding table for outside, we don’t need the heavy table to be portable as badly as easy to make into a bed daily.
Partsbob is offline   Reply With Quote