Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #1

Jayco White Hawk 23MBH Review

My wife and I are currently "fulltiming" in our new White Hawk 23MBH. She's a contract worker, and I'm retired...so I tagalong.

This is our first ever RV. We couldn't afford a Class A (kudos to those who can...they're beautiful beasts). We couldn't get a fiver as we don't have a monster diesel truck, and didn't want to get rid of our current truck. We stayed with the ultra lites. A lot of thinking and research went into our choice, not to mention in the least, Jayco's good name. There's just the two of us and two little dogs, so the 23 footer fit our needs.

As of today, we've been living in it full time and I thought I'd give a few pros and cons on the 23MBH.

Pros -

1. Living area...quite enough for the wife and I. 23 feet of living space. Sounds small, but it's really not. The 36 inch living room slide helps a lot. Also, the Murphy bed helps. When not in use, it folds up into the wall, out of the way, and becomes a couch. Saves wasted space.

2. Towing - The 23MBH is a dream to tow, and smaller than most RV/TTs so its easier to handle. I have a pretty decent WD hitch, so even when being passed by large trucks, I felt very little sway. The wide axles also give a more stable ride.

3. Capacity - Sleeps 6, (but it would be awfully crowded).

4. Interior - Dark colors mostly, so doesn't show dirt...and easy to clean.

5. Bathroom area - Easily manageable. The commode/shower area is separate from the bathroom sink...so, someone can be taking a shower, while the other is finishing up getting ready by the sink.

6. Storage - You won't have near as much as a big fiver, but we've found it quite adequate for us...plenty of hanging area and we use the bunk beds for extra storage.

7. Kitchen area - Good deep sinks. Three burner LP Gas stove and oven...can't really comment on those too much as we haven't used them...trying to save on LP gas, so we've been grilling out. Counter area is sufficient.

8. AC/Heat - So far, we've only used the AC. We are in Texas, and it's hot in Texas...the AC has kept up with the 90 plus degree heat just fine.

9. Refrigerator - Plenty big enough for us..8 cubic feet. Everything stays cool...well, really it stays cold.

10. Set up - Very easy to set up. I'm an admitted novice to camping, this being my first camper. I had some good instructions from our dealer, CamptownRV in Benson, NC. As I said, very easy set up. I either back it in or pull through. Most of the camp sites we've been at have been level side to side so all I do is level front to back. Then its hook up the power, sewer and water, put down the stabilizers and I'm done. It takes this novice about 20 minutes to set it up.

Cons...not very many at all. I've only found two.

1. Electric outlets for kitchen area...there are only two and they are located in an odd place, on the outside of the kitchen sink/cabinet area, not near where you would plug in household items such as a coffee maker, etc. No problem though, we used a small power strip. Reaches where we need it, and increases our number of outlets (just have to be careful of the amperage).

2. The bathroom sink faucet doesn't stick out far enough...there's barely enough room to put your hands under it to wet them. This may be my first mod. Don't get me wrong...its useable, but I would have had the spigot stick out a little longer.

That's pretty much it for the review. All in all, if I knew a month ago when we purchased it, what I know now, I still would have made the decision to buy the White Hawk 23MBH. It's a great fulltime RV for two or three (no more) and a great weekender or vacation home for a small family of..say four people.

We love our 23MBH!!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Great review. We looked long and hard at thus unit too, but decided we wanted a permanent bed set up. It's a nice floor plan.

Congrats and glad you are enjoying it.
2014 Jayflight 24FBS Elite (Sold)
ykcamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #3

We just took delivery of our 23MBH and really look forward to our first trip.

Thanks for your long term review and glad to hear of your pleasant experience.

Enjoy!
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #4

Especially appreciate the towing info as we only towed < 5 miles so far!
ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 AM   #5

Thank you for the very nice, honest review of your Whitehawk. It sounds like you guys put a lot of research into your selection before you purchased; thinking about its ultimate use (full timing) and your full timing needs. Very smart! Not to pat myself on the back, but that's what I did, as well. It took me two years to select & find my Eagle, and I, too, am extremely happy with my choice.

I think too many people buy an RV on impulse (they like the colors, it has a big television, their BIL has one and loves it, it was the only one left on the dealer's lot and they didn't want to wait on a special order, etc.). Then they find out it doesn't meet their needs, and they blame the manufacturer for a "poor layout". B.S.! It's just poor planning! Remember the old saying: "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

I don't mean to flame anybody, but I'm weary of reading reviews that bash Jayco, their suppliers, or their particular rig. Buying an RV is an important decision, people! One than can (and should) affect your life for many years! Give it a little more thought than you would for the color of socks you'll wear today!

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest. Again, thanks for the very thorough and thoughtful review.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringer View Post
We just took delivery of our 23MBH and really look forward to our first trip.

Thanks for your long term review and glad to hear of your pleasant experience.

Enjoy!
Thanks Ringer, and thanks for everyone else's comments. I think you will like the 23MBH. The slide makes it look much bigger than it really is. Also, the bed sleeps so good...I was pleasantly surprised.

I forgot to add something in the review...actually 2 things.

The skylight in the living area while it lets in natural light in the daytime, also lets in heat too. Great if you are in a cool climate, but if you're in Texas like us, it's hot. You might want to think about getting a cover for it to keep out some of the heat. Also, the black water tank does not have a flush...you might want to have one installed, or get a clear elbow with a hose attachment.

Enjoy the 23MBH. It's a neat little unit.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
Thank you for the very nice, honest review of your Whitehawk. It sounds like you guys put a lot of research into your selection before you purchased; thinking about its ultimate use (full timing) and your full timing needs. Very smart! Not to pat myself on the back, but that's what I did, as well. It took me two years to select & find my Eagle, and I, too, am extremely happy with my choice.

I think too many people buy an RV on impulse (they like the colors, it has a big television, their BIL has one and loves it, it was the only one left on the dealer's lot and they didn't want to wait on a special order, etc.). Then they find out it doesn't meet their needs, and they blame the manufacturer for a "poor layout". B.S.! It's just poor planning! Remember the old saying: "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

I don't mean to flame anybody, but I'm weary of reading reviews that bash Jayco, their suppliers, or their particular rig. Buying an RV is an important decision, people! One than can (and should) affect your life for many years! Give it a little more thought than you would for the color of socks you'll wear today!

Sorry for the rant. I just had to get that off my chest. Again, thanks for the very thorough and thoughtful review.
That's not a rant...that's the truth. We did do a lot of research...my wife was more concerned with the interior...myself, I was more concerned with the weights. My TV is a Toyota Tacoma with a tow package...oil and transmission cooler, etc. The Tacoma has a decent tow rating, but nowhere near the big diesels. Since we will only be towing it maybe 3 times a year, I could not see the sense in going bigger on the TT and getting a bigger truck, just to tow it, when I could go with a smaller more functional TT and keep the good mileage my Tacoma gets, all year long.

How we towed it was with no water in the tanks, and most of the heavy stuff in the wife's car...she followed me. Granted, I was no speed demon...but who wants to be when pulling your home. Slow is pro, I say.

Thanks for you comments.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #8

There should be another power outlet if you look up next to your overhead microwave.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #9

Great review. We just purchased the same unit and have been thourougly pleased. Funny you mention the sink for the bathroom sink being short I had exactly the same complaint. I love the fact that during the day you have a very useful living area for 4 plus adults comfortably to enjoy as well as hook up and tow this thing with ease. I town mine with an f150 5.0 loaded up with water and it never feels like I'm doing too much. I've only pulled a few hundred miles but so far it has been a breeze. I plan to spend a lot of summer nights with family and friends in this thing over the next few years. The only thing I think I would change about this unit would be counter top material. I looked at a few other rigs that had corian counter tops and those seemed to be very nice. Other than that I've had zero problems and have been having fun!!!
Andrew17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew17 View Post
Great review. We just purchased the same unit and have been thourougly pleased. Funny you mention the sink for the bathroom sink being short I had exactly the same complaint. I love the fact that during the day you have a very useful living area for 4 plus adults comfortably to enjoy as well as hook up and tow this thing with ease. I town mine with an f150 5.0 loaded up with water and it never feels like I'm doing too much. I've only pulled a few hundred miles but so far it has been a breeze. I plan to spend a lot of summer nights with family and friends in this thing over the next few years. The only thing I think I would change about this unit would be counter top material. I looked at a few other rigs that had corian counter tops and those seemed to be very nice. Other than that I've had zero problems and have been having fun!!!
Cool. Glad you enjoy it. It's so practical, but yet still roomy and liveable.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsttype View Post
There should be another power outlet if you look up next to your overhead microwave.

I also have this unit and can not find the outlet you mention. There Is an outlet in the cabinet next to the microwave but it is only for the microwave as I t only has one plug in spot. There is an outlet under he dinette and one beside each master bedroom closet. There is only one that I found in the kitchen and that is next to the door. Looks like we will be investing in a small power outlet.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatcop49 View Post
That's not a rant...that's the truth. We did do a lot of research...my wife was more concerned with the interior...myself, I was more concerned with the weights. My TV is a Toyota Tacoma with a tow package...oil and transmission cooler, etc. The Tacoma has a decent tow rating, but nowhere near the big diesels. Since we will only be towing it maybe 3 times a year, I could not see the sense in going bigger on the TT and getting a bigger truck, just to tow it, when I could go with a smaller more functional TT and keep the good mileage my Tacoma gets, all year long.

How we towed it was with no water in the tanks, and most of the heavy stuff in the wife's car...she followed me. Granted, I was no speed demon...but who wants to be when pulling your home. Slow is pro, I say.

Thanks for you comments.
I purchased a 23MBH this spring and also tow it with a 2014 Tacoma (quad cab TRD offroad with tow package). I like the trailer for some of the same reasons you do. Wife and I researched TTs with similar setup to the 23MBH before we purchased it. Now I am adding shelving in some of the cabinets and I built 30 inch drawers under the dinette so it was easier to get to items stored there. Thanks for the post. Enjoyed reading about someone with the same setup.
TRDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:58 PM   #13

When you fold up the murphy bed, do you need take all the sheets off to make it a couch? Would that be a pain to do every morning if you wanted to make it a couch after waking up? It's a tossup for me between the x213 and 23MBH.
peejaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #14

I have the 28 DSBH model and the kitchen looks identical to the 2015 24mbh. I have an overhead outlet next to the microwave one the underside of the cabinet. They may have gotten cheap and not put one in your new model.
lsttype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by peejaykay View Post
When you fold up the murphy bed, do you need take all the sheets off to make it a couch? Would that be a pain to do every morning if you wanted to make it a couch after waking up? It's a tossup for me between the x213 and 23MBH.
We leave the bed made up, then lift the bed to the stored position. Straps on the bed hold all of the coverings in place. The couch has nothing to do with keeping the bed made up. The couch then folds back to the seated position.
TRDdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:56 PM   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsttype View Post
I have the 28 DSBH model and the kitchen looks identical to the 2015 24mbh. I have an overhead outlet next to the microwave one the underside of the cabinet. They may have gotten cheap and not put one in your new model.

I did not look on the underside. I will do that
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #17

Beatcop49
Have you had any issues with the way the bed latches for travel, issues like the break down of the wood from movement during travel?
Husband and I are looking at the 20MRB as well as the Jay Feather Hybrid 23B, both are roughly price the same, but that murphy bed is giving my husband some concern.
Thanks for sharing your reviews on your camper....these reviews really aid people with their decisions for their next purchase. Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
Dozer and Taurus
Dozer and Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #18

no you don't have to remove the sheets or blanket
Wennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:31 PM   #19

we have an mbh23 and love the Murphy bed concept. Gives lots of room when not in use
Wennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:05 AM   #20

Also 23mbh owner

I love my 23 mbh... my wife and I have been camping for a while as tag along in my in laws you hauler so three years ago we decided to purchase our own... we liked the thinner bunk bed set up for our two kids as it allowed a separate back entrance to the trailer...

Love almost everything about it except a few things I wish were a bit better...

1. And foremost - black water tank capacity. Uninformed all other designs this one is considerably smaller at only about 23 gallons?

The other designs average at 30 gallons. So we definitely have to watch out selves when dry camping... that sis Ethan really only serves us for a three day weekend..

2. The LED light strip under the awning on my 2014 model is all of the light available on that side.. there are no other lights.. and while a nice touch it’s usually not enough to illuminate the area , I’ve ibstalled solar lights on that side...

Other than that, we’ve enjoyed he trailer and sure, there are always more things you could want on your rig but isn’t that always the story with trailers? Lol

That’s how you end up with a class A .. lol
Acano82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
23mbh, white hawk