Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #1

Jayco White Hawk Observation

Yesterday we took a ride down to the RV center that is about 2 hours away from us. They had the White Hawk we were looking at all setup and hooked up to power for us to look at. Overall I was pretty happy with how it looked but noticed that some areas they seem to be lacking attention to detail.

One area is the entertainment center, it is stapled together and there are several places around the TV where you can see either part of the staple head or can see where it has the wood distorted around it.

Another area is the trim, there are a few spots where they did not even push the trim joints tight together before nailing it fast, leaving a small gap.

The final area is the bathroom door, I know that a few others have mentioned this as well, it fits terribly. It is tight at the bottom corner and when it is latched the upper corner sticks out like 3/4 of an inch from the frame.

The worst part about these is that we looked at 3 other identical White Hawks, all had the exact same issues at the same places.

Not really too surprising considering how fast they turn these out, but to fix this issues would take probably 15 minutes total during assembly, or take someone hours to fix after it is already done.
DavidNPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

I have one...23 MBH. Don't have those issues. My only complaints are no tank rinser, placement of bathroom faucet, and location of power outlet in kitchen near door. Definitely not deal breakers....been in ours semi full time since May.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

all the things you mentioned are identical to how my Jay feather is. I don't worry about it
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

Yeah, none of these issues were a deal breaker for us. Just observations of things that if they had taken a few more minutes during assembly would result in a nicer looking product is all.

We will probably still end up purchasing one of the units. I am sure I will find other things I do not like, but on a 30 minute walk through, those were the things that stuck out as soon as walking in.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

We don't have those issues either. That said, there are some areas where it looks like the trailer was just thrown together, and the dealer fixed a few trim details (primarily scratches) before we took delivery. We have about 4,000 miles and 24 nights in it so far this year and the only issues we have are a broken window shade and very noisy slide, both of which should be covered under warranty.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #6

We just purchased a 28DSBH and it had the same issues. We took the trailer anyways and will bring back to the dealer once the season is over. Everything is very minor so I am not too concerned. As long as all the mechanical and expensive items work I am happy. Here is a link to a list of our problems. Overall I am very happy with the whithawk. It is a great looking trailer.
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...846#post221846
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

I'm very happy with this trailer but in addition to what was already mentioned, the padded cabinet doors under the dinette bench don't support weight very well and I already have screws coming out. My bathroom door is square. 22 nights in it this summer so far.
Snaporaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #8

Overall we still liked the camper, and ended up putting a deposit on it for pickup in a week or two. The one item that really bugs me more than anything is the bathroom door fit or lack there of maybe. I was thinking about mentioning it to the dealer, but have heard the horror stories of hack job fixes done by dealers.

Not sure if I should mention it to them or just try to fix it ourselves since we have done a ton of door hanging and trim work. Other option is just let it as it is....
Old 08-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #9

We have a 33RSKS with the same bathroom door issue. Dealer assures us the warranty dept will take care of us. We will find out at the end of the season.
GingersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
Lost in the Woods

I am going to tackle mine myself. Will have to peel off all the old glue,cut some support poles to press it in place and re-glue and attach. Then I know it will be right
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #11

I found a hand full of trim and fit issues on our 2014 WH 30dsre that were easy fixes with a hot glue gun and a staple gun. Did add a couple small wooden blocks to brace the corner on the kitchen slide trim but none of the fixes were rocket science. I agree that its too bad Jayco doesn't QC the TT's before shipping them. Guess they figure the dealer will catch this stuff when they prep the unit before owner pickup. Most dealers don't and wait for you to notice them first.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

We own a 2014 White Hawk 29REKS and love it BUT have found some of the same things that you noticed. When we did the walk through on the camper, there was a list of items including how bad the bathroom door sits that need to be fixed. The dealer made a list of items, including photos. The camper is going back to them in October to be fixed. The workmanship on some of items certainly do not remind me of what we expected from Jayco. Considering this is our 2nd new Jayco, we do see a difference.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:51 PM   #13

David,
I bought a 2014 White Hawk 27DSRL and it was delivered to the dealer in February. We bought it as our last trailer as we are several years into retirement. We really liked the layout and Jayco's impression of quality. I have had problems with the outside refrigerator, invertor,air conditioner, brakes, and many screws and finish. Obvious there was little QC at the factory and none at the dealer. However, we really love the White Hawk and have put all of this bad stuff behind us and are enjoying our purchase. The warranty people at Jayco were great to deal with and they let me use a repair shop near my home instead of the dealer and they stood behind everything. I toured the factory this spring and understand why they have quality problems. Sales are up and the factory was very busy. However, when the workers meet their daily quota, they can go home. They push each other to finish and I think this is when they lose their quality. Dave, I think you will be fine with you decision. Hopefully you won't have the problems I have had. In the 80's I lived in Ligonier not far from you.
Allen B.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:26 PM   #14

Just returned from service center, items repaired in our wh 20mrb: four large staples penetrating to the right and left of bed from closet(these could easily rip your hand when making bed), repaired window opening track behind entry door(door hits window when window is open thus bending window guides) I suggested longer stem to hold door away from window., check slide out noise(very loud scraping noise when slide is being closed) I was told slide has but one arm, rather than two arms, which causes a laboring effect. The fix was to again lub slide mechanism. Repaired window blind over galley as we have been unable to properly open window blind. Investigate blown 30amp fuse near battery. We were told this happens when auto front jack is extended too high?And to just install new fuse. These are all fairly minor issues and were corrected but take time and point to inadequate checks at factory. Glad we have two year warranty.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen B View Post
David,
I bought a 2014 White Hawk 27DSRL and it was delivered to the dealer in February. We bought it as our last trailer as we are several years into retirement. We really liked the layout and Jayco's impression of quality. I have had problems with the outside refrigerator, invertor,air conditioner, brakes, and many screws and finish. Obvious there was little QC at the factory and none at the dealer. However, we really love the White Hawk and have put all of this bad stuff behind us and are enjoying our purchase. The warranty people at Jayco were great to deal with and they let me use a repair shop near my home instead of the dealer and they stood behind everything. I toured the factory this spring and understand why they have quality problems. Sales are up and the factory was very busy. However, when the workers meet their daily quota, they can go home. They push each other to finish and I think this is when they lose their quality. Dave, I think you will be fine with you decision. Hopefully you won't have the problems I have had. In the 80's I lived in Ligonier not far from you.
Allen B.
Who was your dealer? We live fairly close to you.
edwardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #16

I wonder if that particular assembly was done at the factory by one or two individuals at their "assembly line"? I'd voice a verbal complaint to the dealer where you saw them, in hopes that this made it back to the assembly plant, in hopes this got corrected.

If we say nothing, then nothing gets done. If we say something, there's a better chance it gets noticed and corrected.

I saw none of these issues with the featherlite model we bought (16SLX). I most likely would not have purchased it if I had seen such poor craftmanship. To me, it was a chunk of good money, so I was not about to settle for anything but a quality looking product.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:48 AM   #17

well we visited the factory and I agree that when quota is done for the day they go home is asking for things to be missed. I like the overall quality and look of our new one but there are a lot of little things mostly on the mechanical side that seem a little bit sloppy to me. I will tidy them up myself as I don't always trust a dealer to do them the way I would.
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #18

This is true. There comes a time when we decide that a repair is better (and esier) to be done by ourself, rather than have to take it in, loose some time doing so, then hoping it's done to your standards.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:19 PM   #19

We have a 2014 30 foot DSRE and have none of those issuses. Our dealer may have fixed them when the TT was inspected after delivery don't know. We are lucky we have not needed any warranty work.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 11:35 AM   #20

We just purchased 2015 whitehawk 24rdb. Hate the harsh lighting, bathroom sink faucet, dining table legs placement (legs of table are where your legs should be), only 1 twelve volt plug, no easy reach light switch in bedroom. Bathroom mirror so high, hubby can't see himself to shave. Otherwise quite comfy..
Toothfairy is offline   Reply With Quote