Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #41

I'm not sure how the brackets slid after the set screws were in? We just screwed ours in and they make a large dent in the frame, especially if they drilled a hole. We picked ours up just 15 mins before we bought the trailer (couldn't get where we love so bought in same city as trailer) so just used the set screws without drilling. Our brackets haven't moved yet. We've towed it for about 19 hours so far.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #42

Does it do a good job leveling everything out?
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Does it do a good job leveling everything out?

We followed the instructions in our Ford manual that say to measure the wheel well openings on level ground, then measure front when hitched up and raise back to eliminate 50% of the front end rise. We didn't have any problem doing this with the Andersen.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:10 AM   #44
Lost in the Woods

Has anyone actually measured their tongue weight, or are a lot just guessing? I just bought a 2012 and checked the weight with a proper tongue weight scale because we're leaving in the morning, and I was curious. I have at most, 150LBS of weight in the front cargo area, and my tongue weight is a whopping 1100 LBS. I should have checked it before loading ( I will next week when I get back), but there's no way I could ever get it down to the recommended 10-12% range. I used 2 different scales with the same result on both.
I will confirm this next week, but a rough guess is the x213 has a tongue weight of 900lbs dry right from the factory. These numbers just don't make sense. I figured this model would be heavy in the rear because of the rear slide out, but that's not the case.
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:23 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Has anyone actually measured their tongue weight, or are a lot just guessing? I just bought a 2012 and checked the weight with a proper tongue weight scale because we're leaving in the morning, and I was curious. I have at most, 150LBS of weight in the front cargo area, and my tongue weight is a whopping 1100 LBS. I should have checked it before loading ( I will next week when I get back), but there's no way I could ever get it down to the recommended 10-12% range. I used 2 different scales with the same result on both.
I will confirm this next week, but a rough guess is the x213 has a tongue weight of 900lbs dry right from the factory. These numbers just don't make sense. I figured this model would be heavy in the rear because of the rear slide out, but that's not the case.
I have not measured my tongue weight yet. I have a 2015 X213 that we are taking out for the second time today. I am towing it with a 2500 HD Duramax diesel. I currently use a B&W adjustable hitch.

I was surprised to experience sway on the way home from our first trip. I basically could not go over 55 mph on the interstate. This isn't a huge worry because I don't typically tow over 60 mph anyway. What surprised me is just the fact that the trailer felt so unstable when tractor trailers were passing me.

Having said that, I think these trailers are exceptionally tongue heavy. As mentioned before I have not officially weighed, but I can tell there is a significant amount of tongue weight by the way the back of my truck goes down when coupling the trailer. I'm not new to towing, I have owned several boats and utility trailers. I'm going to keep a much closer eye on how things are loaded. Surprisingly, I did not notice any lift on the front of my truck after the trailer was coupled and we were fully loaded.

Before we get on the road today, I'm going to pull onto a nice flat spot on my driveway and double check the level between my truck and the trailer.

Please let me know what you experience. I'll report back here once I get an accurate tongue weight on my set up. I wasn't expecting to need a weight distribution/anti sway set up, but I am strongly considering one now.
CrazyCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCowboy View Post
I was surprised to experience sway on the way home from our first trip. I basically could not go over 55 mph on the interstate.
That's interesting, I'll be curious to hear what you find for weight. I confess that I don't know *any* numbers from our trailer yet. I had the dealer installed an Equalizer 10K, and they did all the work -- by the time we finished with paperwork, they had it sitting in the service bay hitched up and ready for us to leave. I eyeballed it and decided the truck was sitting slightly lower than normal in the back, but still pretty level. Towed home like a dream, not even a bit of movement the entire way. Not that I want to experience sway per se, but eventually I expect to encounter it and it'll be nice to know what to expect and how to respond. Given how steady it towed home, I'm curious to find out how much weight is on the tongue. We have an open scale (defunct weigh station they keep turned on for self-service public usage) a few miles up the road, this weekend I'm going to grab the trailer and go take some measurements.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:11 PM   #47

I did a quick test today and with a light cargo load and 1/3 in each waste tank, I got 750 lb on the tongue. Somewhere between 725 and 774 really, because the scales near me measure in 50lb increments. 15% more or less.
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Just weighed my X213's tongue at 395 lbs , full propane, 1battery, spare tire plus the arms for WDH. The inside is mostly empty. Will weigh again once I load it up. Weight of TT as per yellow sticker is 4326 lbs.
Nick -- Wish I knew how you got a tongue weight that low. Lowest I've heard. I'm easily twice that. Ideas? Did you reweigh? I'd love to know what you figured out from that.
jimmybrine is offline   Reply With Quote