Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-15-2015, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Jayco X213 tank location

Does any one have pics or can describe to me where the fresh water tank is located in the X213? Ours is at the storage lot right now, plus we have the enclosed underbelly, so that hides its exact location.

I'm mainly wondering if they are behind the rear axle and will help with reducing or adding to tongue weight. We are finding this trailer is really tongue weight heavy and don't see how anyone could carry bikes like advertised. We want to take our bikes with us, but with full propane, battery, spare tire, nothing on the front bunks but bedding and some clothing in the wardrobe, some toiletries in the bathroom and some plastic bowls in the forward of the axle kitchen cupboards, the tongue weight is 690. And the overall trailer is only 4900#.

I can't pack anything else near the back as we have under the table full with our Weber Q and other items, and the sofa is full of all of our beach mats, and the cabinet above the king bed is full of clothing. There is no way else to get anything behind the rear axle.

Anyway, my hope is that the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle and I can add 300# of weight behind the axle and reduce tongue weight so we can carry bikes. I hope that Jayco was considering folks would be carrying water or something, else I am bamboozled at how they thought this heavy of a tongue was a good idea. Especially since their dry tongue weight is wrong, wrong and more wrong. I know a dry tongue weight doesn't consider a loaded trailer, but without anything on our tongue (both propane tanks removed, the spare tire removed and the power tongue jack removed) and an empty trailer, our tongue is still over 500#. Nowhere close to the 340# or whatever Jayco says on their web site.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
BCx213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Langley
Posts: 428
Under the dinette seat plywood near the counter...remove cushion and then 2 Philips screws
__________________

__________________
2012 Jayco Jayfeather X213
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
BCx213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Langley
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEscape View Post
Does any one have pics or can describe to me where the fresh water tank is located in the X213? Ours is at the storage lot right now, plus we have the enclosed underbelly, so that hides its exact location.

I'm mainly wondering if they are behind the rear axle and will help with reducing or adding to tongue weight. We are finding this trailer is really tongue weight heavy and don't see how anyone could carry bikes like advertised. We want to take our bikes with us, but with full propane, battery, spare tire, nothing on the front bunks but bedding and some clothing in the wardrobe, some toiletries in the bathroom and some plastic bowls in the forward of the axle kitchen cupboards, the tongue weight is 690. And the overall trailer is only 4900#.

I can't pack anything else near the back as we have under the table full with our Weber Q and other items, and the sofa is full of all of our beach mats, and the cabinet above the king bed is full of clothing. There is no way else to get anything behind the rear axle.

Anyway, my hope is that the fresh water tank is behind the rear axle and I can add 300# of weight behind the axle and reduce tongue weight so we can carry bikes. I hope that Jayco was considering folks would be carrying water or something, else I am bamboozled at how they thought this heavy of a tongue was a good idea. Especially since their dry tongue weight is wrong, wrong and more wrong. I know a dry tongue weight doesn't consider a loaded trailer, but without anything on our tongue (both propane tanks removed, the spare tire removed and the power tongue jack removed) and an empty trailer, our tongue is still over 500#. Nowhere close to the 340# or whatever Jayco says on their web site.
Why not flip the lower bunk up and carry your bikes there?
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
BCx213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Langley
Posts: 428
What are you towing with?
__________________
2012 Jayco Jayfeather X213
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab 4x4
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Under the dinette seat plywood near the counter...remove cushion and then 2 Philips screws

Thx. And that's right behind the rear axle so that's good. Water would also balance the left to right axle weight if we were heavy on that side due to food in fridge and pantry (not sure we are, haven't weighed left and ride side separately ever).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
Why not flip the lower bunk up and carry your bikes there?

Yes, that's the plan. It's at the front of the trailer though so is going to increase the tongue weight that's already on the heavy side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCx213 View Post
What are you towing with?

F-150 with Max tow package. The tongue isn't too heavy for the truck. The tongue is about 14% I think right now so don't want to be over 15%.

And we have considered carrying them in the truck bed with a rack. We will do that if the weights don't work out with them in the trailer. Carrying on rails above the bed would be okay too but all the solutions we've found to do that have been homemade or involve straps around the truck to scratch it up.
__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: S. Surrey
Posts: 5
How did your measure your tongue at 690? Trailer Life reported 560 fully loaded.

Ford SuperCab F-150 and Jay Feather Select X213

Just askin

Bruce
A2B in a TLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
BCx213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Langley
Posts: 428
Ahhhhh....I usually throw them in my truck..I have a cap on mine. I am considering installing Firestone rear air bags on my truck too.
BCx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2B in a TLC View Post
How did your measure your tongue at 690? Trailer Life reported 560 fully loaded.

Ford SuperCab F-150 and Jay Feather Select X213

Just askin

Bruce
They say the trailer doesn't have any cargo in it. They also have freshwater in it, and as I just found out, the tank is behind the rear axle so I'd say that would take more weight off the tongue than cargo would? Since almost all the cargo areas are over or in front of the axles. They don't specify if they weighed with a battery and the spare tire, but I'd think they would have?

Our tongue weight was after a fully packed trip. We weighed at the truck scale near our house. I just went and checked my notes and the numbers we got were:

Trailer - 2010 kg = 4430 pounds (hooked up to truck so no tongue in this weight)
Tongue 340 kg = 749 pounds WDH would likely have been sitting on the scale with it and I believe our WDH is 50-60 pounds (the Andersen so it's light).

We did also weigh prior to being fully packed for camping, at home on a bathroom scale that maxes at 550#. With only battery, tongue jack (NO propane), the tongue was around 518#. Right around 550# with one tank of propane.

I can hope that the scale was grossly miscalibrated and that when we weigh it in a few weeks I get different numbers. Or maybe the scale just has a high variance at lower weights. It's not a scale that's manned. It's just on the side of the road so I don't know its status as to how often it's maintained or calibrated.
__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:32 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Greenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Southwest Alberta
Posts: 111
Freshwater tank location

I just went outside and looked at the tanks on our 2010 213. The fresh water tank is mounted between the axles not behind them and the grey and blackwater tanks are both forward of the axles. The hot water tank is mounted just behind the passenger side rear wheel
__________________
K & D
2010 Jayco EXP 213
2008 GMC Sierra 2500 SLE Z71
Greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CANADA
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
I just went outside and looked at the tanks on our 2010 213. The fresh water tank is mounted between the axles not behind them and the grey and blackwater tanks are both forward of the axles.

So, I wonder what year the other poster's X213 is. I know Jayco increased the tank size at one point. The article posted above is a review of a 2011 I think? And it has a 28.5 gallon fresh tank (incl hot water) and mine has a 48 gallon fresh (incl hot water). So I'm thinking they could have moved the tanks at that point.
__________________

__________________
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost w/ MaxTow
SilverEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.