Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

Jayfeather 29y Floor Issues

Hello again!

We've had a floor bulge in our 29y pretty much since we've owned it. We bought the unit used and that's more or less the way it came (might be a bit worse now).

There is a high spot across the width of the trailer about even with the front of the dinette that is roughly 1/2" higher than the rest of the floor. It is very solid and I suspect a frame rail comes across here. There is the slightest soft spot just in front of this (not water damage I don't think - I just think it is a wide spot between frame runners). It seems more pronounced when the slide is out. Doesn't seem to affect the function in any way...

Does anyone else have this problem? I've seen people add steel frame supports between the frame rails. I'm considering dropping the bottom skirting and re-inforcing the low sides with some 2x3's or possibly steel square tubing. Do you think this could help? I'm thinking the frame is the high spot and the sides are where the floor sinks into the low spots?

Arrrgh, it's an irritating problem and the one think I really don't like about the trailer right now.

Does anyone have pics of the frame under the middle of the floor they could share?

Sorry to be long winded, just hoping for some ideas
Honda EU1000i
2006 Jayfeather 29Y - past Jayco
KachFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would give Jayco Customer Service a call and see if they can forward you the frame layout for your floor plan, then compare it to your floor issue. Have your TT's VIN handy when you call them. Might want to ask Jayco if there was ever any recalls on that particular model frame..., wouldn't hurt.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #3

If you search this forum you will find several people who have had a similar problem. Some have repaired it from inside the trailer but I rather suspect in a situation like yours you will have to remove a section of flooring and than brace it from underneath. Some owners have taken the opportunity to put hardwood foor down when they were at your stage. Those that have the compressed foam floors like the 29N are likely candidates. I'm in that boat too.
Happily married and father of
two university students.
Cancer survivor
Murphie is offline   Reply With Quote