Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-19-2016, 07:53 AM   #1

Jayfeather. No propane at the outside grill burners... troubleshoot advice

Ok. I.have a 2008 30' Jayfeather. My heat works along with my stove top. But I'm getting no propane at the outside grill burners...

I have flipped the propane lever under the rv for the propane supply for the grill but I can't get any propane out of the grill still.

I don't know if the line under the rv is clogged .. (I highly doubt it. ) is the regulator blocking the flow. I'm not sure

My oven also I've never been able to light. I got the rv in 2015 so haven t had it long

Anyone have any troubleshoot advice
Drewbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #2

First, welcome to the JOF. And don't rule out the line being clogged. Spiders and other little creatures love making their nests in the lines. Happens with my grill supply line at home on a normal basis. Every year I need to check it. Just food for thought. Other than that, I'm puzzled as well.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Site Team

When you turn on the grill, do you hear anything at the burner, like gas is trying to push air through, or is it dead silent? We have a two burner stove on the back corner, and it takes a while for the gas to finally light. The oven can be a bear, also. Sometimes takes three kitchen matches to finally get the pilot to stay lit. We found that wood matches work better on a pilot, rather than a butane stick lighter. Not sure why. Also, did you get your TT new, or is it new-to-you? Has the outside grill ever worked before now?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbabich View Post
Ok. I.have a 2008 30' Jayfeather. My heat works along with my stove top. But I'm getting no propane at the outside grill burners...

I have flipped the propane lever under the rv for the propane supply for the grill but I can't get any propane out of the grill still.

I don't know if the line under the rv is clogged .. (I highly doubt it. ) is the regulator blocking the flow. I'm not sure

My oven also I've never been able to light. I got the rv in 2015 so haven t had it long

Anyone have any troubleshoot advice
What kind of grill do you have for outside? Did it ever work? Does it have its own regulator? If it does, it won't work well, perhaps not at all. We have a Coleman that fits that description (think it's an LXE "Road Trip" model); you can do it, but you have to create your own adapter to replace the Coleman regulator.

A couple of weeks ago we just lit the oven in our 2016 Jay Feather for the first time. It can be a challenge to follow the instructions. You must light the pilot correctly, or you will probably not get the oven to light.

Since it's a 2008, you may be dealing with stuff that's wearing out, needs replacement, or just a major cleaning and maintenance, especially if it did work at one time.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:07 AM   #5

Spiders inside the line???

So did you have spiders inside your line or just on the inside of the fittings?

I can't imagine how a spider or bug would get inside my line?

I guess they could crawl it the male end on the grill that doesn't have a ball valve seal.

Well where did you find the spider and how did you clean it out
Old 05-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #6

When I turn on the stove I hear nothing

That's interesting. I hear no sound of anything when I turn the burner on.

It's a small grill that sits on the side of the rv in front of the door. Ha ha I wish I could describe it better. I d attach a picture if I had one.

How can I test for propane at the supply line hook up at the bottom of the rv?

There is a spring loaded ball valve on the female connection point I think?

Can I push a screw driver on the ball to check for propane?

Where can I buy a supply line without a regulator if that's my problem
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #7

I'm the second owner. I'm not sure if it ever worked
Old 05-19-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
Site Team

If you use something to push on the ball, make sure it's something sturdy, and won't scratch. That ball is the seal to keep propane in. A better way is to remove the male fitting from the gill hose, and (with main tanks OFF) put it into the female connector, and have a helper slowly turn on a tank, and listen for gas. Be SURE you are nowhere near an ignition source. Your propane is regulated at the tanks on the tongue, already. If your grill has another regulator on it, you'll need to do something different.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 05-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #9

Yes my rubber line that goes from rv to grill has a regulator on it.

So I'll have to push the ball.

I can use a plastic chopstick. That shouldnt scratch it.

I'm assuming my rubber line regulator is bad. Will I have to get a new one at an rv store or is there a better place to get one.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
Site Team

You don't need the regulator on the grill hose, if the gas supply is regulated from your main tanks. All you need is a flow control valve on the grill, to adjust the flame. I'm guessing the regulator is also the flame adjustment knob? Another way is use a separate fuel source from the TT, like a BBQ 20lb tank, or the 16.4 oz. propane bottles, if you have the right connection for that.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 05-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #11

Jayfeather. No propane at the outside grill burners... troubleshoot advice

Quote:
Where can I buy a supply line without a regulator if that's my problem

I picked up a supply line w/o the regulator on Amazon to allow my camp king stove to work with the trailer propane line instead of a separate 20lb tank.
stickyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Yes my rubber line that goes from rv to grill has a regulator on it.

So I'll have to push the ball.

I can use a plastic chopstick. That shouldnt scratch it.

I'm assuming my rubber line regulator is bad. Will I have to get a new one at an rv store or is there a better place to get one.

Just making sure this is clear. You are saying the grill (and/or grill line) has a regulator on it. This is usually indicative of a grill designed for the small one pound bottles or for its own stand alone propane tank.

If you are wanting it to work with your RV at the line connection, you don't need anything fancy. Most home improvement stores will have the necessary brass fittings which will make it possible to remove the regulator from the grill (or grill line). That should solve the problem.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #13

My rear propane line stopped working while we were away. We assumed the bbq was not working properly. Turns out the female quick disconnect failed. There was a piece that went missing inside the female part so the male connector was not pushing on anything to release the propane. Ordered new quick release fitting. Alls good now
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #14

Reading the thread over, it sounds like there are two in-line regulators. M one at the tank, and one on the line feeding the grill. Either remove the regulator from the grill, or tee the outfield from the tank before the first regulator, and feed the grill from the high pressure on the tee. Two regulators won't work.

2014 RAM Laramie 2500 w/6.7L Cummins Diesel and Automated Safety Hitch
2016 377RLBH Jayco North Point
300W of Suntech Solar w/Rogue MPPT Controller & Xantrex 2000W PSW Inverter
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote