Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Jayflight SLX 195RB Modifications

Posted a few photos of our 2016 Jayflight SLX 195RB with a few modifications. Changed the white steel wheels to 15" aluminum, makes it look much nicer, added the max-air vent covers, hard side propane tank cover , bike carrier on front, and added the two stabilizer jacks in the front, a well needed add on. Now, time to take it out on labor day weekend for the first time!
jaycojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

Amazing how much just the aluminum wheels change the look. Let me know what you think of the front bike carrier as I've been on the hunt for one.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Did you add a power vent? I have ordered a Heng Vortex II for the bath vent and wondered how hard is it to fish a wire from the light.
I did add the front stabilizers and they are great. I also added the lift arms on the bed and that makes access easier and safer.
Did you notice all the waste space beside the water tank? I am thinking of buying a door from Jayco and making it accessible for stuff you only need once in a while.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #4

No, i just added 2 max-air vent covers...... as much as i would like a fantastic fan, i have no desire tostart fishing wires. My next mod will be the bed struts.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:48 PM   #5

We have a 2015 and our list of mods has made life much easier.

- Front Stabs were a must
- Gas shocks for the mattress and a support for the center as the boards start to bow down with time.
- Dual Propane tanks with cover on front
- Dual batteries
- Memory Foam mattress
- Replaced bath faucet and shower hose/head as the bath faucet cracked and wouldn't supply water to the shower head. Now it's nice dark brass.
- Various matching towel and wardrobe hooks in dark brass.
- 24" LED TV/DVD combo on a adjustable arm above the fridge area.
- Added drawer unit to the wardrobe closet to store misc stuff (still can hang coats).
- Max-Air II vent covers (still want a powered vent cover in main space)
- 12vdc adjustable fan for air circulation
- Equalizer weight distribution hitch

Things we've had to watch out for - had a small spider make it into the fridge LP tube which clogged it partially. The fridge would only partially cool off. Had to remove the tubing (Pain) and blow out the clog - saved $300 on a RV shop visit. Tub faucet cracked and had to be replaced.

My only gripe is the size of the holding tanks unless you got a baja version, otherwise it has been a great rig for the last several years.
HennaOjisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennaOjisan View Post
We have a 2015 and our list of mods has made life much easier.

- Front Stabs were a must
- Gas shocks for the mattress and a support for the center as the boards start to bow down with time.
- Dual Propane tanks with cover on front
- Dual batteries
- Memory Foam mattress
- Replaced bath faucet and shower hose/head as the bath faucet cracked and wouldn't supply water to the shower head. Now it's nice dark brass.
- Various matching towel and wardrobe hooks in dark brass.
- 24" LED TV/DVD combo on a adjustable arm above the fridge area.
- Added drawer unit to the wardrobe closet to store misc stuff (still can hang coats).
- Max-Air II vent covers (still want a powered vent cover in main space)
- 12vdc adjustable fan for air circulation
- Equalizer weight distribution hitch

Things we've had to watch out for - had a small spider make it into the fridge LP tube which clogged it partially. The fridge would only partially cool off. Had to remove the tubing (Pain) and blow out the clog - saved $300 on a RV shop visit. Tub faucet cracked and had to be replaced.

My only gripe is the size of the holding tanks unless you got a baja version, otherwise it has been a great rig for the last several years.
Unfortunately the Baja edition only gets you an increased fresh water tank - the black and grey tanks are the same as the standard edition. On the 2015 model it was 35g - looks like it dropped to 30g on 2016 and newer models.

We've done a few of the mods listed including the gas struts, Maxx-Air vents and second battery. Have you checked your overall loaded trailer weight with the addition of the second battery and dual propane tanks? The standard model is only 3500lb GVWR while the Baja edition is 3750lb. I don't think we have an excess of stuff loaded and only travel with about 6-8g in the fresh water tank and we are about 3700lb loaded.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:52 PM   #7

Do you have any photos of your bed support mod?
Speedracer7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:09 PM   #8

Here is a post with pictures of how I installed these - let me know if you have any questions:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...uts-27480.html
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 09:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer7c View Post
Do you have any photos of your bed support mod?
I'll grab some when I visit the trailer this weekend. Heading out for a two week trip. The support is basically two pieces of 1/2" particle board. About 10 inches wide with the length the height of the bed to floor. I notched each board in the center (1/2" wide notch) that went halfway down the board. This allowed me to slide the two pieces together in the middle perpendicular to each other. Just imagine two "U" shaped boards going together with the center of the "U" sliding into the corresponding "U" slot on the other board. It now would look like an "X" from the top and it works perfectly.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Unfortunately the Baja edition only gets you an increased fresh water tank - the black and grey tanks are the same as the standard edition. On the 2015 model it was 35g - looks like it dropped to 30g on 2016 and newer models.

We've done a few of the mods listed including the gas struts, Maxx-Air vents and second battery. Have you checked your overall loaded trailer weight with the addition of the second battery and dual propane tanks? The standard model is only 3500lb GVWR while the Baja edition is 3750lb. I don't think we have an excess of stuff loaded and only travel with about 6-8g in the fresh water tank and we are about 3700lb loaded.
Wow - I always thought the Baja had larger gray and black water to deal with the larger freshwater tank.

I carry most of the weight in my truck (with airbags) to avoid overloading the trailer. The biggest gotcha was adding the battery and spare LP tank up front - I tend to wait for water until we reach our destination to keep the GVWR lower as well as the tongue weight.

Had to go back and think about it - we actually have a 2014 model instead of a 2015 but the specs are the same.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:34 PM   #11

Cool Refrigerator Overheats

Have had a problem with refrigerator since first trip out with ours. Refrigerator overheated so they changed refrigerator. Was told that counter was built too close to top of refrigerator not allowing enough air circulation ( which I would consider a factory defect !) so they added a small dinky toy fan on floor in back of refrigerator which runs continuously not making for a peaceful night sleep...after 2 weekend trips fan overheated and died... We replaced with another small fan ...but carry coolers all the time just in case... . Wish they would have corrected the problem properly so we could really enjoy our trips...We love the trailer also added Max air vents..Safe travels !!
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:26 PM   #12

Installed my Heng Vortex fan and some snap clips

Today I ( with help from the spouse) installed a Heng Vortex fan in the bath of our 195rb. It took a while to figure out how to remove without breaking the light to get power to the fan. Had her hold up the fan while I made connections. Cleanup and finding the right connectors took more time than actually installing the fan. It works great either pulling out or pushing air into the RV.

Also installed some clips that hold my X bar for wheels and the jack tool to the walls inside the storage bay. Makes them easy to find and out of the way. Also put some command strip hooks in the cabinet to keep the AC wires out of the way.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:15 PM   #13

We added a memory foam topper, beefed up the bed cross supports( the OEM supports run only lengthwise), installed gas struts for the bed to access the "basement". beefed up the wardrobe ( how can one staple to Nothing?), added LED lights to each wardrobe and closet so as not to root around in the dungeon,made a cutting board sink cover,and today did DIY front struts out of scrap lumber ( the last is de bomb.. well worthwhile and less than a dollar of lumber)

Now if you want to include the $1800 we spent on cutting trees and making a pad for winter storage... Or a share thereof. We had the driveway resurfaced so the $1800 did a little more than the pad.

I also got a top of the stove oven so that lobster stew can come with homemade cornbread.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Have had a problem with refrigerator since first trip out with ours. Refrigerator overheated so they changed refrigerator. Was told that counter was built too close to top of refrigerator not allowing enough air circulation ( which I would consider a factory defect !) so they added a small dinky toy fan on floor in back of refrigerator which runs continuously not making for a peaceful night sleep...after 2 weekend trips fan overheated and died... We replaced with another small fan ...but carry coolers all the time just in case... . Wish they would have corrected the problem properly so we could really enjoy our trips...We love the trailer also added Max air vents..Safe travels !!
Thats BS! You should not have to add a fan ....... who came up with that one?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 PM   #15

Ok, we took it out for the first time last weekend...... almost caused a divorce. My lovely wife kept me up mostof the 1st nite saying she kept rolling into the center of the bed. I believe it was caused by the tight mattress pad she had on it,plus the 2" memory foam and tight fitted sheet...... was i right, or do these "Denver Mattresses" really suck, like all the past mattresses they have used?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #16

Ours was just hsrd

But level. Till six weeks later Then we added slats crossways under the bed to eliminate plywood bowing to the center
A memory foam topper helps
The mattress isn't great but the support underneath really sucks
Old 09-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #17

SLX mods

The most important mod IMHO is a quality mattress upgrade.
A close second is the missing extra stabilizer jacks on the SLX.
But a vent cover and exhaust fan in the bath should also be standard. Because.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
But level. Till six weeks later Then we added slats crossways under the bed to eliminate plywood bowing to the center
A memory foam topper helps
The mattress isn't great but the support underneath really sucks
How about a thicker plywood? Don't wanna make it too heavy
Old 09-08-2016, 07:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycojay View Post
How about a thicker plywood? Don't wanna make it too heavy
not a problem . Two two by fours don't weigh as much as thicker plywood. Husband is an engineer. We installed the piston struts for basement access

That little trailer has not much payload capacity but its got way too much storage for us.

We use backpacking equipment for the most part.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #20

Hi Kim-
Do you have a photo of the cross supports you installed under the bed to eliminate the plywood bowing to the center? You can send it in a Private Message to me.
Thanks,
Tom
Cattail is offline   Reply With Quote