Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2019, 06:55 AM   #1

Just got my 195RB, what mods do you recommend?

My wife and I just bought our first camper ever and are excited to start this spring. We got the 195RB and I'm already interested in doing some modifications before our first trip based on things I've read. I'm curious what I might not know about or what other owners recommend. Here's what I have so far:
  1. Replace bed hinges (factory screws are small and ineffective)
  2. Add pistons to bed hinge to help with opening
  3. Get a cover (plan to store outdoors at a storage facility)
  4. Get hitch and wheel locks (proven industries locks)
  5. Replace kitchen sink fixture (something taller to fill pots)
  6. Add backup camera
  7. Upgrade to dual propane with cover
  8. Add two stabilizers to front of trailer
  9. Mount TV

Thanks ahead of time.
Exodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

In addition to your list:

Replaced screws with bolts and large washers and used on pistons also. I may replace them with larger pistons as they are insufficient for lifting my memory foam mattress.

Reinforced bed with 2x2s across middle and along edges.

Covered bed exposed plywood edges with Naugahyde to prevent splinters while lifting and making the bed.

Installed hinges on the screw on door to make pump/drain access easier.

Installed electric heat element on water heater.

Went under it and blocked every possible mouse access with screen wire and foam, then went inside and did the same thing.

Replaced junk mattress with a Zinus 10 inch green tea memory foam.

Added bath fan, put covers on both roof vents, inspected every square inch while I was up there.

Re-caulked front window that leaked at every rain onto the bed front (direct from factory that way, to far to take it back and wait months). Went over every window and door while I was at it.

Added a shelf for silverware, etc. in the pantry.

Added door (bought from factory) on end of dining seat for easier access.

Added brightly colored electrical tape to the power cord so I wouldn't try to pull it out past max length.

Changed thermostat to digital on furnace.

There is more but these are some of the good ones. Do the mouse one first!!!! ps I have done it over the last two seasons a little at a time.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:44 AM   #3

These are all great and self-explanatory with the exception of the water heater element. Where did you purchase that element (model?) and am I replacing an existing one or adding something new here that doesn't exist?
Exodar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM   #4

The water heater element goes in the drain plug hole, then you have to run wires to the inside of the trailer to attach to thermostat which glues to the side of tank. Then you have to get AC from the power system. I added a new breaker and ran a line to the water heater and pump area to power the heater. I installed the on/off switch above the power panel for easy access.
Installing this gave me the idea to add self closing hinges that resemble original hinges to make access easier. Then I cut off the screws and glued them back in place to cover the holes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-07-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Yes get a digital thermostat. The OEM ine is a literal pain
Shelving in bedside wardrobe
We did not mount a TV. There really is no place that is reinforced in back of the wall and we were concerned on rough roads the arm would bend and the TV slam against the wall
We like out little TV portable and being stored in the closet frees up counter space
As I like to bake I hope to find a small convection oven
We dont use the microwave
Lights for the dark insides of the closets are useful as well as hooks for hanging a mop and broom
One tank is fine as two would bee too much weight on the hitch
We do carry a separate cylinder up in the front of the truck bed however unkess you use the furnace you can get five weeks out of one 20 lb tank

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

Wife and I just bought a 2019 195RB and will be picking it up on March 19th. Her pinterest is full of modifications for us to do but we feel as if we need to use it a few times first. One of the big modifications we are looking at is removing the table/booth setup and replacing it.

Does anyone have pictures of some of the mod's you have made or TV mount positions. Would love to everyones setups! We were looking at installing the TV on an arm opposite of where the antenna is. In other words, the side with the door. The idea being it could act as a second monitor when working while sitting at new table.

We'll post as we "she" decorates!

Steve & Heather
HappyKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:02 PM   #7

I wanted to take out the dinette and put in two computer chairs but DW suggested we might need the bed function and as there is little other space we needed the storage.

So she made extra thick seating cushions which help, but I still like the idea of a nice comfortable computer chair.

On the tv, we have a little one with DVD that is rarely used. Most of the time it lives on the closet. If we do have it out and are going to move we just plop onto the bed. It won't go anywhere once it is on that Zinus memory foam mattress. We don't even unplug it.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:08 AM   #8

Live with it for a while before mounting the TV anywhere
You may find your head needs to occupy the same space in the middle of the night

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 AM   #9

I contacted Jayco via email to get the blueprints. I figured this would help a lot for determining what and where to put things. Has anyone done this successfully?
HappyKayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #10

Also remember that your cargo capacity is very limited by weight
For that reason we did not modify much. Each pound does count in this unit.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #11

As far as the bed, I did put in some 2x3's to beef it up in the middle. But I went a different route instead of installing lifts to make it easier to raise. Instead, I completely removed the panel and frame at the foot of the bed. I did re-install a 2x3 there for the plywood bed to rest on and stained it to match. Also lined the interior with matching paneling. I know this sounds crazy, but it works well for us. Now we can just slide in 4 large storage tubs. Haven't raised the bed since.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #12

You will probably need to add some storage in the bathroom, like a small medicine cabinet or shelf above the toilet. We also installed a mesh pocket hanging shoe organizer on the wall to the left of the toilet stool. The kind normally hung on doors. It was too wide for the bath door. It can hold a lot of small items. We also installed rod across the top of the shower/tub to hang towels for drying.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #13

While I haven't done anything with the hinges yet (haven't had a problem with them to this point.) I did stiffen the bed in ours.

Queen bed stiffening / reinforcing on our Jayco 195RB travel trailer – Morbweb

We have a 24" smart TV that lives in its box on the bed under the covers when traveling. Sits on the floor next to the bed when we need the counter space. On the counter next to the sink if we are watching it in the trailer or on a cooler if we watch it outside. Don't really think I will ever bother mounting it, altho I thought I would when I first got the trailer.

I also have vent caps and a vent fan in the todo list.
BudMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #14

We replaced the single step entry with a double step. And, added the larger hand hold that folds in. Much better access in and out. Plus one on the medicine cabinet. A very easy and welcome addition to the bathroom. Our tires lasted only 3 years before the steel belts started to show. We are upgrading to load D before this season. Added a battery disconnect switch to avoid a dead battery after it sits for 4 days unplugged. I don't think you need a second propane tank unless you run your furnace a lot. Also a nice addition was mounting front stabilizer jacks.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM   #15

Replaced mattress, installed back-up camera, LED lights in all cupboards, Bluetooth propane level detector, hitch locks, digital thermostat, portable heater, inverter generator - think I'm done.
Paulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #16

Paulo what brand of camera did you get? how hard to install? Any pitures?

Old 03-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #17

Furrion FRC12TAPK-BL Wireless RV Back-Up System with Mounting Bracket (from Amazon) - looked like the lowest cost way to use the Furrion mount. Not sure of performance yet.
Paulo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #18

First thing I did was to lift the bed, and section off the "pass through storage" That way you can use the inside area for bed linen, games, and cleaner stuff.

And the pass through which is accessible from the outside can be used for dirty stuff like trailer jack blocks, water hoses, extension cords, charcoal, gas grills, etc.

Kenelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #19

We got a small freezer for those long trips fits nicely in the closet Also put in the 'add a drawer' under the table for silverware We mounted our tv on the side where the A/C is But it travels in the side closet For a stabilizer we got the $40 one from Camping World and put it across tongue right in front of trailer that thing is amazing
Attached Thumbnails
034337_1.jpg  
Lpeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:08 PM   #20

Lightweight stuff

Suction cup hooks all around the bathtub and a tension rod; duct tape around edges of plywood to avoid splinters; memory foam topper on the plywood base plus two Thermarests that can be adjusted for preferences; a body pillow to make an insulating headboard; wire shelves in pantry; two Sterlite drawer sets in wardrobe. I would hesitate to block off the cargo hold from any interior access--once when the door lock completely jammed, I had to crawl through the cargo hatch and up and out from under the bed to get in .... no, there are no photos.
Kate Camp is offline   Reply With Quote