Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

just some window food for thought

maybe not an interesting thread, but just wondering about the lack of windows in most travel trailers. do you think it's structural,economics, or a number of issues.i was spoiled by my first small 1985 sunline 16 foot Saturn, that had 3large jalousie windows up front, three in back,one over the sink, one in the door, and two small crank out hopper style up high front and back, plus 1 or 2 roof vents and a vent in the bath I know times and tastes have changed , but I need light !! my 2005 165 sport has one up high where the bunk used to be one medium size below it, a slider on the door side, which is blocked when you open the door, a non operating waste window in front,and a tiny slider over the sink. one vent in the bath. I know layout determines window placement but I think larger and more operational like the old jalousie ones were better. the light was great, and this is actually why after completely rebuilding mine , it's for sale. class c motorhomes have a similar old style layout especially lazy daze from California....ok haha now for the " get a motorhome " comments, the whining comments , the "take the bus they've got windows" comments and all that fun stuff...geez fellas I was just asking !!!! on a small trailer, the old dinette / bed up front, couch / bed in back ( which can stay made up ),sink and stove to the left of the door, and bath, fridge, and pantry "across the hall" was the best...thanks in advance for the pending wise comments
rewcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #2

Its hard to see through the full size fridge and the faux fireplace!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:08 PM   #3

145rb SLX windows

One of the things that struck us when we were shopping was windows. Our 145rb SLX is very bright and cheery during the day, with 4 good sized windows, 2 roof vents, and of course the shower skylight, all in a small trailer with 100 sq.ft. of floor space. We also considered a Clipper 17rd with 7 windows of varying size in a 130 sq.ft. trailer. By comparison, a 19 foot Coleman TT we saw had only 3 windows and 1 roof vent in a larger 175 sq.ft. trailer. Roomier but darker and gloomier inside.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #4

We bought our 19RD because it has so many windows, including a large one on the back of the TT!! It is a small TT but it has 5 Windows.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:24 AM   #5

My wife was adamant about having a lot of windows and natural light. It was a big buying point for us.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:10 AM   #6

Our previous '03 Kiwi 17a and current X20E were chosen in large part because of the large windows. Bright and open feeling even when the beds walls are closed.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #7

Our Precept 35UN has windows wherever there is nothing else in front of the exterior wall.
Attached Thumbnails
36UN at CS.jpg   In line duo.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #8

There's only 1 small window in the bedroom (front of the TT).

Yes, we miss the big forward-facing glass with the fiberglass cover/awning on the old (1983) TT.

But the amount of glass and openable windows in the rear dining area is fantastic. The extra translucent skylight over the tub/shower fills the bathroom with natural light.

So, things have changed. Trying to get a perfect seal around a windshield-like chunk of glass? That'll price a small TT out of it's class real quick!

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:57 AM   #9

Hi,

Less windows =

Less weight
Less thermal intrusion
Less possible places to leak
Less cost to the manufacturer
Less time to build the unit

It seems to me that the focus has changed over the years from building what the consumer wants, to building the least that the consumer will accept.

Sigh.
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWP723 View Post
My wife was adamant about having a lot of windows and natural light. It was a big buying point for us.
Same here with our TT... large rear window, windows in the front and rear end slide, plus the optional skylight in the central area.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 01:31 PM   #11

I agree with you REWCamper (and others) my wife and I stayed in an older trailer this summer , that is permanently in a camp road (instead of us risking getting our camper in and out that bush road) That camper was so comfortable to sleep in (even though we had no electricity ) with the many many windows cranked open you got a breeze one way or the other and the windows could be left open even if it rained. MY 2012 19 ft Jayco has three windows and a door , that old 22 ft trailer had ten windows and a door . I agree our new manufacturers are going cheap route and expecting us to use the AC .
Old 09-21-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

More like people expecting them to give us A/C; not them expecting us to use it. When given the option, how many people tick the "delete A/C" option and save a few bucks? Single pane glass windows will let the cool air warm up much more rapidly than the insulated walls. A lot of glass = low A/C efficiency.

Our HTT has 4 windows with the bunks up, but open the bunk ends and I've got 10 of them, and the place is very bright and cheery and breezy indeed. Oh, and I have A/C but have yet to actually turn it on since the PDI.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Hi,

Less windows =

Less weight
Less thermal intrusion
Less possible places to leak
Less cost to the manufacturer
Less time to build the unit

It seems to me that the focus has changed over the years from building what the consumer wants, to building the least that the consumer will accept.

Sigh.
x2

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
More like people expecting them to give us A/C; not them expecting us to use it. When given the option, how many people tick the "delete A/C" option and save a few bucks? Single pane glass windows will let the cool air warm up much more rapidly than the insulated walls. A lot of glass = low A/C efficiency.

Our HTT has 4 windows with the bunks up, but open the bunk ends and I've got 10 of them, and the place is very bright and cheery and breezy indeed. Oh, and I have A/C but have yet to actually turn it on since the PDI.
In other words because you have more windows , you don't need AC ,..... and so for those that at times use camper in bush with no electricity, having more windows than 3 is a major advantage ! Thanks for your example.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:30 AM   #15

Sure, but the point is buy a unit that has what you need. Plenty of examples here of Jaycos with lots of light. If that is important to you, buy a floor plan with lots of windows. If it's not important then don't sweat it. I think in our model pretty much every available part of external wall has a window. Can't put windows where you have cabinets, fridges etc. About the only change I would make to mine is to move the roof vent from the bathroom to the main area of the floor plan. The roof on mine is pretty busy already, but I think I could fit one near the dinette.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Sure, but the point is buy a unit that has what you need. Plenty of examples here of Jaycos with lots of light. If that is important to you, buy a floor plan with lots of windows. If it's not important then don't sweat it. I think in our model pretty much every available part of external wall has a window. Can't put windows where you have cabinets, fridges etc. About the only change I would make to mine is to move the roof vent from the bathroom to the main area of the floor plan. The roof on mine is pretty busy already, but I think I could fit one near the dinette.
Some people are located where they have all the choices in the world , or the time to wait, others don't , either way the original poster had a very valid point that the number of windows has gone down dramatically , (eg no window in my bathroom even but easily room if manufacturer hadn't assumed the roof vent was enough for "venting the pleasantries of a bathroom" . But I see your Shi___ don't stink because you don't need a vent in your bathroom
Old 09-22-2016, 12:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
But I see your Shi___ don't stink because you don't need a vent in your bathroom
Harsh!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #18

thanks to everyone that has responded to my original post....one key point that I didn't really expand on, was that I bought this because it had a bad floor and the people weren't using it. I had driven by many times and finally stopped in to see it. I didn't really even consider when I would get to use it, and at the time noticed, but didn't really TAKE NOTE of whether I would ultimately like it or not. after all the time spent working on it and the year that i've owned it I realized how much I liked the older layout. I hauled the sunline (16 foot 9 windows )from boston all over the florida keys and back home and never even had an ac on the trailer. so, now I've decided I don't want it, and my thoughts really generated a whole bunch of different responses. if it sells I think I should just drive my ford E350 window van to see my son in san diego ...now THAT HAS WINDOWS !!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #19

Of course it's all relative to the size/model. The bigger rigs will naturally have more windows. Some have sliders as well.
Old 09-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #20

yeah thanks ..that's my point , that on the older smaller models, they added windows, now it's not necessarily so..