Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #1

Looking at a 254

now because of the 1 slide for additional space.

Mainly me and wife but want room for the grandsons from time to time.

Having trouble finding one that will not make the 05 1/2 ton Chev 5.4 complain - specifically the hitch weight.

Don't want one too small & would like to buy a larger, but TV will stay for a while.

Comments pro or con or other suggestions will be appreciated. Been about 25 years since I pulled a camper.

18% or 19% off MSRP expecting too much?
hogjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Most people suggest 25-30% off MSRP
Funny, I was just looking at RV direct site.
The 254 is one floor plan that I thought would be nice for me and wife.
The walk around Queen would be nice.

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #3

Welcome to the JOF hogjaw! Go for 30% off MSRP... check the link in my signi idea's on how to get a lower rv price. Let us know what you wind up doing. Happy shopping

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...Your-New-Jayco!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #4

Wow guys, it has not been enjoyable so far as I thought it would be.

Maybe I need to back up and get a 3/4T TV then think about the TT. Often I get cart before horse!

Don't know about black water capacity if that's important or not. Right now I just have to assume I'd be willing to down size fresh water capacity for black since I think we will mostly be at sites with a dump station.

I do not plan to have ANY water on board during tow.

If you had to assume a lot prior to purchase, was your decision correct OR are we always gonna want to upgrade?

HEALTHI - I've worn out your site already.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Hogjaw! If you can get purchase a 3/4 ton now, definitely do it! See our tt/tv set-up. We can tow the weight fine, but we suffer when it comes to payload. We really have to be good about packing light up in the front storage and have only enough left over payload to add the bikes. If I could have done it differently, we would have had a 3/4 ton minimum.

With grandkids... it's not a floorplan for everyone, but the bunks are nice for guest to sleep. They're also great for storage while traveling
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogjaw View Post
Don't know about black water capacity if that's important or not. Right now I just have to assume I'd be willing to down size fresh water capacity for black since I think we will mostly be at sites with a dump station.

If you had to assume a lot prior to purchase, was your decision correct OR are we always gonna want to upgrade?
IMO grey water is the most important tank capacity. We have 32g Black and Grey...2 adults, 7 y/o and 4 y/o we can get 5-7 days out if the black tank and only 1-2 days out of the gray.

We would like to upgrade. Thought the JayFlight 26 BH would fit us well, and for the most part it did...but we have a new baby which means a lot more stuff and not enough storage. Don't like having to make the table or couch into a bed now we have 3 kids. No room for the older kids fiends and/or cousins that would like to come with us. Also, a major factor for us initially was finding a trailer that fit the weight requirements of our 1/2 ton...on paper it penciled out but I didn't like the experience towing in the Sierra Nevada Mts so I upgraded TV. Knowing what I know now, we were first time TT buyers, I would have upgraded the TV first and bought more trailer than thought I needed.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #7

We have the 25Z which is the same floor plan as the 242 and nearly identical as far as I can see. There are just two of us most of the time, but have had a couple of overnights with the grand children. For two its a nice layout and we love the TT. Tank capacity (FW 30 GW 30, BW 23) has not been an issue, but gray water would be the limiting factor, not black water. If we do not have a full hookup, we make use the camp facilities for showers if we are staying more than overnight. If on a full hookup, we shower in the TT and dump tanks every other day.

We have an F150 with the 5.4L engine and a towing capacity of 9000#. GVW on the TT is 6000#. We have never had a problem towing even in the mountains. Bikes go in the bed of the TV and we also have a cargo box in the front of the bed. Since we live in FL, the FW tank is always full in case we need to evacuate for hurricanes. But once on the road, we let it go down to a few gallons since most CG's have water. We always dump the other tanks when leaving the CG.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #8

Is the Minimum tongue weight the minimum that I would ever want to see on the scales during loading of items and placement of permanent items?

I've spent a many hour reading on this site and those referenced.

My hitch has label that says MAX tongue weight 600lbs and MAX tow 6000lbs; (with WD Max tow 12000lbs, don't plan to attempt)

Thanks for you help.

Hogjaw
Old 04-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogjaw View Post
Is the Minimum tongue weight the minimum that I would ever want to see on the scales during loading of items and placement of permanent items?....snip
Probably best to think in terms of "loaded" TT and tongue weights...., be careful using published UVW, unloaded, and dry weights. When at the CAT scales RV and WDH manufactures recommend a "loaded" tongue weight to be 10% to 15% of the loaded HTT (or TT) weight. So yes, you do not want to fall below a 10% "loaded" tongue weight value.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote