Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Maiden Voyage

Last week, DW and I took our first trip ever as RVers. And we had a blast!!

We recently purchased a 2014 White Hawk Summit Edition 27DSRL. Actually had it parked next to the house for a month, a month we used to acclimate ourselves to the trailer. Even spent a night in it right in the driveway.

We decided to follow advice and make our first journey relatively close to home. So, we researched parks within 2-3 hours of home and Evergreen Park in Ohio's Amish country, which we enjoy, showed up as being a 10/10*/10 facility. Being total newbies, we considered this to be what we needed. Towing with our 2013 F150 Super Crew, everything went great. Had a paved 70' pull thru, of course with full hookups. Spent 3 nights there. What a great facility! Spotless. I can see why it is rated as it is. Only thing I would change would be to add a few trees. But, then again, maybe that would take away from the neatness and cleanliness aspect.

Can't wait to head out again. Considering a trip to Asheville, NC, with a stop overnight in KY each way.

Cheers,
Greg
Pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #2

Glad to hear you had a great time. I am sure there will be many more to come.
Did you take notes of things that you may have forgotten behind or may need in the future?
We also take notes of the campground or take their map and mark the sites we might want next time we visit.

Daryl and Sandy
2013 Eagle 314BDS
2014 Ford F150 Platinum, 4 x 4 Crew Cab with Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer Hitch
OurJayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
Last week, DW and I took our first trip ever as RVers. And we had a blast!!

We recently purchased a 2014 White Hawk Summit Edition 27DSRL. Actually had it parked next to the house for a month, a month we used to acclimate ourselves to the trailer. Even spent a night in it right in the driveway.

We decided to follow advice and make our first journey relatively close to home. So, we researched parks within 2-3 hours of home and Evergreen Park in Ohio's Amish country, which we enjoy, showed up as being a 10/10*/10 facility. Being total newbies, we considered this to be what we needed. Towing with our 2013 F150 Super Crew, everything went great. Had a paved 70' pull thru, of course with full hookups. Spent 3 nights there. What a great facility! Spotless. I can see why it is rated as it is. Only thing I would change would be to add a few trees. But, then again, maybe that would take away from the neatness and cleanliness aspect.

Can't wait to head out again. Considering a trip to Asheville, NC, with a stop overnight in KY each way.

Cheers,
Greg
I always make the first overnight in the driveway anyways, if something isn't working from the get go, I haven't wasted the gas, time and fees not to mention the disappointment. I found the year after the warranty was up that the furnasty didn't work before I made the 1st trip of the season. Brrr!
Jeff61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #4

Awesome!
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 05:40 PM   #5

Congrats Greg....Happy Camping
Threebutchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:03 PM   #6

Congrats to you and you DW Greg, Hope you have many enjoyable camping trips in your future.

Welcome to the forum and the Jayco family.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Congrats! DW and I did the same this wekend but we took our 7 yr old grandson to make sure there wasn't any boredom. Ha! Ours is a 2015 27DSRL Summit Edition. We all had a great time.
(The last time we camped was in the 80's in a pop-up.)
We spent one night in the driveway as well. Then this past weekend went to Lincoln State Park, 30 minutes away. Nice place to camp. We learned a lot aout camping in an RV and made a list of more things to put in the camper.
Love the camper - just the right size for us. Only complaints I have are the shower head won't shut off. You have to use the hot & cold knobs to turn off the water if you want to conserve the gray tank capacity. Also, the bathroom faucet outlet is too close to the basin to get your hands under it - I'm going to replace it with a bigger one.
Mine squeeks terribly when trolling through the campground looking for a spot - does yours?
Can't wait to get out for another trip.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #8

Smile

Thanks to everyone for their nice comments.

KYCAMPER; Yes, our camper squeaks and creaks. Dealer said that was pretty normal for the axles. I noticed other travel trailers sounded the same, so there must be some truth to that. And after that first trip I have changed both the shower head and bathroom sink faucet. Caught both on clearance at Menard's. How ridiculous to have a sink faucet that is basically useless, unless just rinsing your fingertips.

OurJayco; Yes, we intend to keep notes of all kind. We're of the age where that has become necessary so we're not repeating mistakes, such as eating or visiting somewhere where we've already had a bad experience. Those types of things.

Cheers,
Greg
Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #9

Pappy,

Congratulations! on the new trailer, and welcome to The Forum. Glad your maiden voyage went so well, and hope you have many, many more!
Old 06-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #10

Thanks Brownie!

Cheers!