Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 AM   #11

I have the X17Z and there is a Sewer Hose Storage door on mine, but it's not deep enough to fit my RhinoFLEX hose, which is 15'. I did the "sewer hose mod", which involved an 8' long 5" square PVC fence post to store the hose, but I couldn't figure out how to attach it to the bumper securely. I tried zip ties and they snapped right off. Perhaps some L bracket would work, but I need to be confident it will stay put during travel.

For now, my solution is a rubbermade container.

scottystang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #12

If using zip ties, try to find Panduit or T&B (Thomas & Betts). If you get the larger ones, they will hold. You may have to get these an electical supply house as opposed to a box store. I work for a power company and we use them a lot. You would be surprised what they will hold.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM   #13

Thanks, howie. I bought some rather industrial strength zip ties at Lowe's, that claimed to be able to support 150 lbs., but they snapped when the fence post fell off the bumper when I was test fitting it.

The problem is that the X17Z bumper isn't square, it's only an inch or two wide on the top, so the 5" fence post doesn't fit flush. It wants to fall forward towards the back of the camper or the other way off the back of the bumper. I know I could get those U bolts to go up and around the fence post and bumper, but they look ugly IMHO.

A more seamless install would be L brackets, but I'd have to be 100% confident that they wouldn't fail during travel. I would never know it came lose until it was too late and it's super dangerous to have a sewer hose and fence post flying down the highway haha.

Too bad the X17Z doesn't fit the RhinoFLEX hose & fittings. I've very happy with the hose and don't want to use a cheaper 10' one (that might fit in the Sewer Hose compartment).
Old 06-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #14

Can you mount it under the camper? I used PVC pipe on my old camper mounted to the frame.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:18 PM   #15

Good idea, but I don't think so. The X17Z already has a pretty low ground clearance so I don't think there's room. I've seen other mods/hacks made to the sewer hose compartment itself to accommodate the 5" PVC fence post, but that involved cutting into the camper which is something I don't want to do. Other installs attached it to the back of the camper, but again, requires drilling into the body of the camper. For now the container works fine, although not ideal. I might ask the dealer if they'd install it for me on the bumper using L brackets of sorts.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #16

Check out post #38 on this thread. It may be of some help.
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...?t=2053&page=4
Old 06-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #17

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Something I could definitely try. It looks like he secured the post directly to the bumper in two places through the bottom of the post and then a third point to the bumper connecting piece via the curtain rod bracket. I already built the fence post w/ gutter drawer and secured the end caps, so I have the assembly already to go, just need to secure it to the camper with confidence.