Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

Model 228 Jay Feather

Getting ready to custom order a 2013 228. One of the options is a 2" lift kit. Even though I tow with a F-150 pick-up,
I am wondering if there may be some value to having the hitch a bit higher on the TT ??? Any thoughts on this ???

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #2

I've got a 2013 228 without the lift kit. The bottom of the frame is about 17 to 18 inches off the ground. Unless you're going off the beaten path on rough roads, I'd think twice about the lift kit (unless it's inexpensive).
michnern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Do you have a need for the lift kit? IE a steep driveway, or something similar. If you are asking you probably do not need it. If not, I would not recommend a lift kit for two reasons. 1st getting in and out of the trailer is a bit more difficult especially if you have to utilize a block or two on the curb side of the trailer to level out. 2nd 2 more inches of elevation adds about 1.3 cu ft of frontal area above the TV. This increased frontal area will create more wind resistance causing additional drop in fuel economy.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #4

Thanks Jagiven and Michnern for your responses. I have taken them into consideration.
I have no need for the lift kit but didn't know if I was missing some sort of advantage.
Seems to me I would go backwards and not forwards.

Thanks again.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #5

The only other reason you may want to consider the lift kit is the height of the drains for the grey/ black tanks. You can't get a decent size " blue buddy" under the drain pipe without digging a hole, at least that's a problem on our 19h. In fact we raised the 19h, it helped but still have to dig. Larry
Old 08-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

Here's hoping you go ahead with the purchase of the 228 Wolverine. We have a 2012 228 and have spent as much of the summer as possible in ours. I have to 2" lift kit and it makes a difference with driveways at home as well as at the gas station, etc. Plus it allows more clearance for the grey and black tanks to dump. Also with my 2011 Explorer I do not need as much drop on the shank to get the trailer level. With the tow vehicle sitting higher you can have the trailer raised as well. Please feel free to join the Jay Feather 228 group. It is located under the community drop down menu above and click on groups. Michnern please feel free to join in as well. Ryan
Ry-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #7

I was hoping Ry would stop in with his expertise on the subject. Based on Ry's info I know if I were to have to keep mine at my home, I'd need the lift otherwise risk losing some plumbing under the trailer getting up the incline of my drive. But luckily I have a nice level pad at my father in law's that I didn't have to have it. My dealer never even spoke to me about it when I ordered my 228, was supposed to be a 2012 but due to dealer errors we ended up with the 2013. Any questions feel free to ask... love to share any knowledge I have picked up along the way.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #8

We just decided to ight that the 228 is the coach for us. I still am considering the 2" lift because I have the driveway issue. Did not know there was a club, glad to hear it and would love to join. I plan on ordering mine in the next few weeks. I am selling my 19H this weekend outright.

Talk to you all soon

Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #9

The 228 is a great trailer. We love ours. We don't have the 2" lift on ours and back it up onto a fairly steep front driveway with no problems.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:02 AM   #10

Wolverine Congrats on the decision to purchase a 228, I'm sure you will enjoy it, so far all of us in the 228 Owners group are happy with ours from the posts we have shared. If anything comes up feel free to drop us a line, we all love to talk about our 228s.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #11

I have two questions about the 228 that drive me nuts. I noticed on the 2012 and 2013 that they put the grill mount on the backside of the trailer.
That is the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. I back into some fairly woodsy sites and I would end up grilling in the bushes....sounds fun, right.
The other thing is the awning. It has a 13' wide awning and I think it should have at least a 16' awning. I was hoping that I could have some cover
for the 3rd bunk hatch door. I had my dealer contact Jayco and ask if the grill mount and gas line could be moved to the side of the trailer under the
awning and also if the awning could be wider. The dealer said Jayco would not do either because of the safety issue with the grill/gas mount and that
there was not enough support in the trailer to handle a wider awning. I am not for certain that my dealer did indeed talk to Jayco, I thought I would try
though. I plan on calling today to see if I can frustrate myself even more. Just wanted to throw this out there to get your thoughts.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM   #12

The awning size makes sense for the ultra light standpoint of the trailer, the bigger the awning gets, it gets the heavier and the more stress on the fiberglass body of the trailer. As far as the grill mount, I think it has to do with the protection of the gas line behind the bumper, I'm sure the grill would mount anywhere on the side of the trailer, but there would be no protection of the gas line from impact. But couldn't hurt to contact Jayco and see what they say.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #13

That is exactly what the issue is, gas line is protected by the frame and the awning is sized for the trailer. Not a deal breaker, just wanted
to get a good explanation. I am heading to Middlebury, Indiana next week Thursday to order the 228.

Any thoughts on the electric jack option ??? I look at it as another thing to malfunction but could just be overthinking it.

Anything else you recommend or don't recommend ???

Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #14

Having had our 228 for a few months now, I'd recommend the power jack option. The cost is small compared to the amount of cranking by hand that is required to hook, unhook and level a trailer. If I had to do it over again, would have chosen the power jack option, but being a noob I chose to keep initial costs lower, my mistake in my opinion. We went with the power awning for ease of setup, didn't want the hassle of non electric, and my wife is short 5'3" and it would be a stretch to roll and unroll awning. From a personal standpoint, chose not to get alloy wheels, they look nice, but with the climate here in Rochester and the salt used on the roads in winter, didn't want to see them get messed up. As an additional side note, there is a thread here about loose lugs, its the cheap lug covers being loose not the lugs themselves. MHO for what its worth.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 AM   #15

I agree with you wolverine It would be great if they made that awning another 3 - 4 ft wider, however it is a pretty decent size. We are able to fit a 4ft folding table from Costco under it to put our stove and BBQ as well as most everything else that we need to stay dry or out of the sun. As far as the propane connection, if you are planning on running a BBQ off the line I would not mount a BBQ to the trailer if it was me. I had a 20' line made up for my last trailer that allowed me to hook up and put my BBQ on a table anywhere I wanted. I bought a Weber Q120, removed the regulator, installed a quick connect coupler and now I have a real BBQ that can really sear a steak instead of the RVQ that came with my old trailer that was like cooking a steak with a candle. My point is you can make up a hose any length you feel you need and cook where you want. YES to the power jack and awning, best investment ever. Good luck.

Jayco 228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #16

Very happy with our 228 Wolverine. We bought what was on the lot. Manual awning and steel white wheels. It took a bit to get onto the workings of the awning but now its second nature. My height is an advantage. When we arrive at the campsight we put down our 10 x 12 mat and place the picnic table on it with narrow side next against the wall next to entrance door and its still enough room. We love those huge exterier doors at the bunk area as folding chairs, mat and two folding tables fit easily inside. Our weber Q100 fits in the front storage doors easily as well. I will definetly be getting the power jack but am waiting till next spring since we have only one more trip planned this year.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #17

Well the good news is I was able to sell the 19H to the first guy who came to the house. So, now I am really starting to figure out exactly what I want. The 228 is definitely it, just have to figure out the options. Thank you all for your thoughts on this I honestly had no idea that this floor plan is as popular as it is. If I have more questions I am sure I will have no problem getting an answer. You guys are obsessed.!!!!!!!!

Old 08-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #18

I have the lift on my 23J. My 1st TT so not sure what it would be like without it but as far as the plumbing goes it make it easy to drain the grey/black tanks. The step when on level ground (in my driveway) is fine, but everywhere we have taken it so far I have had to place the lynx blocks on the curb side which makes that last step a large one. Its fine for me until I have a fews drinks and then it gets difficult. The wife doesn't like the large step and my daughter can't do it at all. I will me making some sort of step that I can put out if needed.

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #19

I never thought about the power lift as an aid for dumping waste Jdorant. My waste tote is a bit high for dumping so there's another reason to get one. As far as the step goes I made mine 16x24 wide and had an old car scissor jack added on top and at the back of step with a 2x3x24" board bolted on top of the jack to span under the trailer step. Its adjustable and takes the bounce out of trailer when your getting in and out. I guess I got a lot of time on my hands or obsessed.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
That is exactly what the issue is, gas line is protected by the frame and the awning is sized for the trailer. Not a deal breaker, just wanted
to get a good explanation. I am heading to Middlebury, Indiana next week Thursday to order the 228.

Any thoughts on the electric jack option ??? I look at it as another thing to malfunction but could just be overthinking it.

Anything else you recommend or don't recommend ???

Get the power tongue jack. It makes not only jacking the trailer easy, but just as or more importantly jacking the trailer and TV up to engage/disengage the WD system.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote