Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-02-2022, 10:33 AM   #1

Mounting Solar Panels - Schematics

I've been searching through older threads regarding getting a hold of schematics from Jayco. There seems to be varied success from the community depending on whether or not your unit is still under warranty.

We just took possession of a new 2022 JayFeather 25RB. I want to mount solar panels to the roof in several locations and capitalize on the "solar prep" feature (which is nothing more than internal wiring from the roof to the charge controller location on the interior wall). Ideally, when I mount the panels, I want to secure them into framing members of the roof structure.

If Jayco won't release the framing schematics to me because I'm under warranty, how can I be sure I'm mounting them into the framing correctly and with the correct length hardware?

If I divulge why I want the schematics, will they be more or less likely to give them to me?

Thoughs?
JaycoLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoLovers View Post
I've been searching through older threads regarding getting a hold of schematics from Jayco. There seems to be varied success from the community depending on whether or not your unit is still under warranty.

We just took possession of a new 2022 JayFeather 25RB. I want to mount solar panels to the roof in several locations and capitalize on the "solar prep" feature (which is nothing more than internal wiring from the roof to the charge controller location on the interior wall). Ideally, when I mount the panels, I want to secure them into framing members of the roof structure.

If Jayco won't release the framing schematics to me because I'm under warranty, how can I be sure I'm mounting them into the framing correctly and with the correct length hardware?

If I divulge why I want the schematics, will they be more or less likely to give them to me?

Thoughs?

Hey JaycoLovers.... I actually just called Jayco today, to ask them what the thickness of my roof is (2020 37mdqs) so I can install additional solar panels. The lovely lady I spoke with is going to get the roof schematics and email them to me, so I know exactly where I can drill safely...

I don't think you'll have any problems getting it from them. Just have the last 8 of your vin available when you call customer service.

Good luck!
NoFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:25 AM   #3

Jaycolovers, Have you asked? Use the email process or call like NoFly did.

Originally, they were hesitant to send me some of the info I have asked for. However, I have seen a big shift in their openness to share and I now have almost a full set of schematics for our 2022 trailer. I dont have the roof, now I am going to ask. I think I am missing some wire routing as well, but not sure if they even have it. Not that it matters most of that is either in the roof or under the trailer just thrown in there... dont look it will scare you :-)
Old 12-03-2022, 11:31 AM   #4

...."don't look, it'll scare you"......
I'll 2nd that!

I was mortified when I started looking at how the wiring was all thrown in the rig.

Let's not even start on how the water lines were ran!
Old 12-03-2022, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFly View Post
...."don't look, it'll scare you"......
I'll 2nd that!

I was mortified when I started looking at how the wiring was all thrown in the rig.

Let's not even start on how the water lines were ran!
X2 on that. Not trying to derail this thread….

Actually most of the plumbing is pretty straightforward. It only goes to the hot water heater, kitchen faucet, lavatory faucet, shower, and toilet. They are red and blue PEX. Plus add in black tank flush that is not a straight shot from inlet to flush nozzle.

The real challenge with the plumbing is sorting out the tank fill lines, city water, and pump water lines, and valve settings. I figured out where everything went, and then I marked my water lines to help me in any future troubleshooting.

David

2019 Jayco Eagle HT 24.5CKTS (new to me 9/2022)
2016 F250 6.7L CCSB 4x4 - AirLift 5000
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
David_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 04:30 PM   #6

>"how can I be sure I'm mounting them into the framing correctly and with the correct length hardware?"<

If you experience frost it will outline the studs under certain conditions. I marked mine this way with a china marker. Possibly a stud finder may work also. I used 1.5" #10 stainless screws.
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 05:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_ski View Post
X2 on that. Not trying to derail this thread….

Actually most of the plumbing is pretty straightforward. It only goes to the hot water heater, kitchen faucet, lavatory faucet, shower, and toilet. They are red and blue PEX. Plus add in black tank flush that is not a straight shot from inlet to flush nozzle.

The real challenge with the plumbing is sorting out the tank fill lines, city water, and pump water lines, and valve settings. I figured out where everything went, and then I marked my water lines to help me in any future troubleshooting.
What I meant was how they run the water lines across the floor of the basement. Ours froze twice at just 10°F, so I ran new pex and put them all across the ceiling in the basement. Now I'm able to get down to -20 without freezing
Old 12-05-2022, 07:36 AM   #8

Thank you for the replies and advice. I haven't yet requested the information, but based on some of your feedback, I'll do that and see where it gets me.

Using the frost lines is a clever idea!

Happy Camping everyone.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
........ I now have almost a full set of schematics for our 2022 trailer.....

Tom, can you tell if the external solar connections on the A-frame are routed through the on board controller? I had to relocate mine when installing my new Andersen hitch and got to wondering.
2006 RAM 3500 Dually (still have)
jmckelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #10

If you use those ports on the aframe for a panel it will need to have its own controller. Those are wired direct into the battery and do not go through the OEM controller.

If you add a new controller you could rewire them through it as an alternate option. Say put 400w total on the roof and then 200w more through the aframe connection.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:42 PM   #11

I'm doing the same, solar install on roof. I emailed Jayco just yesterday with my VIN, and presto, thyn e-mailed them to me. Quick, simple, easy. Amazing support from what I've seen. My unit is out of warranty, so that shouldn't matter.
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 10:25 PM   #12

I've been designing my solar for the last year. I've finally reached the point where I can start setting up all my equipment; but just look at the rats nest if wires all over!!.. I've already trimmed several 110v wires and have several more to clean up. The next step will be all the wires going to my BmPro node. I'm sure glad I relocated all the piping on the ceiling last year (one less thing I need to do)
I'll post more pics as I make progress.
Attached Thumbnails
20221207_090042.jpg  
Old 12-08-2022, 08:31 AM   #13

very cool, looking forward to seeing the finished setup/cleanup! What size battery bank are you going with?
Old 12-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC_AZ View Post
very cool, looking forward to seeing the finished setup/cleanup! What size battery bank are you going with?
Morning Tom,

I'm going with 4 SOK 206ah batteries to start. Since I'm installing all of this in my basement, the space is ample, but it still needs to be mapped out just right. If it all works out, I'll eventually have 6 batteries in totally, but that'll require changing the angle of the grey tank vent stack... So I'll go with the 4 for now.
Attached Thumbnails
20221207_090029.jpg  
Old 12-10-2022, 11:30 PM   #15

I have a 2022 22rb and installed 420w on the roof. I recommend not using the preferred location of the wall mounted location for the controller for a couple of reasons. First you will be limited to PWM flush mount controller like a go power one. Secondly if you bypass that spot you can install an MPPT one anywhere you want. More efficient and it can be a surface mounted in the storage space near the batteries. Mine required opening the wall to connect the solar wire from the roof to the wire to the batteries. The factory leaves them cut there so someone is required to make the connection to a controller so they don’t connect panels on the roof to batteries without one. You can also verify they installed 8g wire to carry the amperage needed for 12v panels. Otherwise go 24v and a controller that will handle 24v
jrobb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:37 PM   #16

Is there such a thing as a true 12V solar panel? The Renogy "200 Watt 12 Volt Monocrystalline Solar Panel" for example, has specs that read
Open Circuit Voltage:*27V
Optimum Operating Voltage:*22.6 V

The Go Power 190W panel that Jayco is fond of using has a rated voltage of 20.4V and open circuit voltage of 24V.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:42 AM   #17

For 12 vs 24v panels here is the difference:
A 12V solar panel will measure around 18-22V and a 24V solar panel will measure 36-42V. Because the voltmeter measures the open-circuit voltage, it will be higher than the actual working voltage of the solar panel. The voltage is variable since the angle of the sun is the biggest variable on this output and how bright it is i.e. cloudy vs clear sky's vs shade under trees.

It also has to do with the number of cells on the solar panel. If the solar panel has 36 cells, it is a 12V panel. If the solar panel has 72 cells, it is a 24V panel (some 24v will only be 60 cells).

The watt output can be similar, however the voltage difference will make it so that you can use smaller wire with 24v panels. Usually if using a MPPT it will not care which type you have, it will only care what the voltage is of the battery it is charging.
Old 12-13-2022, 10:42 AM   #18

So why do they call them 12 or 24, when both put out way more than their numbers? I don't get it. As far as higher voltage vs wire size, of course. But I get 40V out of my system with "12V" panels simply by combining them in series instead of parallel, and my MPPT controller is (typical for a small consumer model) capable of handling up to 100V.
Past: 2015 Winnebago View, 2004 Blue Bird M380, 1990 Blue Bird WB40, 2003 Safari Zanzibar, 1998 Safari Sahara

DonBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 11:02 AM   #19

Morning DonBr...

This is a rabbit hole that is best described by Nate and adventure.life on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/6G3Mo_OHmQY

I'm going through the entire design of my 2400 watt system and... Yes... I've screwed up several times in the design... Luckily, the mistakes were made in the "design" stage and not the installation stage.

Here is the link for the complete list of videos on solar install from Nate..

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...CUwC20DBlyv6s_
Old 12-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFly View Post
Hey JaycoLovers.... I actually just called Jayco today, to ask them what the thickness of my roof is (2020 37mdqs) so I can install additional solar panels. The lovely lady I spoke with is going to get the roof schematics and email them to me, so I know exactly where I can drill safely...

I don't think you'll have any problems getting it from them. Just have the last 8 of your vin available when you call customer service.

Good luck!
Thanks NoFly. I just made the request. Looking forward to doing the work after the Holidays.
Thanks for the advice!