Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2014, 11:52 PM   #11

I can't get over how comfortable that murphy bed mattress is. Not sure if Jayco just started with an upgraded mattress but this this is awesome! I am a gig dude (250) and most RV mattresses are too thin and cheap but this thing is literally more comfortable than my mattress at home

Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:12 PM   #12

I do think that Jayco just started using Denver Mattresses in their units. A lot of the Rv manufacturers are starting to use better quality mattresses, which I think is a wonderful thing.

Dozer and Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #13

When we went through the demo of our unit, we had problems with getting the bed latched closed. We express concern with this issue, but the tech assured us that they haven't every had any warranty work done on the bed latches. We went to a campground that evening to have our trial run, we had issues with getting the bed unlatched, there seemed to be a lot of pressure on the latches. We got the bed to come down and discussed maybe moving the latch hole back some so it would be easier to close or open. The next day I tried to close up the bed with the bedding on, bedding included a down filled mattress cover, sheets, and quilt; I wasn't able to do the job, I had my husband try and he couldn't do the job, even with both of us the bed wouldn't latch. We ended up stripping the bedding off and closed it, but still it was a tight close. My husband said that maybe once the mattress isn't so new it will be easier. We dropped the subject till our next trip out and then breaking camp to come home, that's when I discovered what the problem was, The comforter that is suppose to come with the unit had fallen (slipped) behind and under the head of the murphy bed, So every time we would close up the bed the comforter was being bunched up between the bottom of the plywood mattress platform and the back board that is behind the sofa. It took me a bit to get at the comforter, but in the end I was able to pull the comforter out from under, and now the murphy bed closes with no issue at all, I can even do it without any assistance at all. We haven't put the bedding back on and tried to close it yet, but I am sure that we will be able to do it with no issues at all. I know my husband is happy too, because he really didn't want to drill any new holes in the brand new camper. Life is good, Happy Camping!
Dozer and Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #14

Awesome.....great to know. When we were shopping the latches seems harder to open and close than they should be. Curious to see how our experience will go
Damer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #15

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer and Taurus View Post
The comforter that is suppose to come with the unit had fallen (slipped) behind and under . . .We haven't put the bedding back on and tried to close it yet, but I am sure that we will be able to do it with no issues at all.

This happened to us. You just have to make sure the straps are tight. Also we have put our bed up during the day with a mattress pad, sheets and the comforter. Ours is fine
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer and Taurus View Post
When we went through the demo of our unit, we had problems with getting the bed latched closed. We express concern with this issue, but the tech assured us that they haven't every had any warranty work done on the bed latches. We went to a campground that evening to have our trial run, we had issues with getting the bed unlatched, there seemed to be a lot of pressure on the latches. We got the bed to come down and discussed maybe moving the latch hole back some so it would be easier to close or open. The next day I tried to close up the bed with the bedding on, bedding included a down filled mattress cover, sheets, and quilt; I wasn't able to do the job, I had my husband try and he couldn't do the job, even with both of us the bed wouldn't latch. We ended up stripping the bedding off and closed it, but still it was a tight close. My husband said that maybe once the mattress isn't so new it will be easier. We dropped the subject till our next trip out and then breaking camp to come home, that's when I discovered what the problem was, The comforter that is suppose to come with the unit had fallen (slipped) behind and under the head of the murphy bed, So every time we would close up the bed the comforter was being bunched up between the bottom of the plywood mattress platform and the back board that is behind the sofa. It took me a bit to get at the comforter, but in the end I was able to pull the comforter out from under, and now the murphy bed closes with no issue at all, I can even do it without any assistance at all. We haven't put the bedding back on and tried to close it yet, but I am sure that we will be able to do it with no issues at all. I know my husband is happy too, because he really didn't want to drill any new holes in the brand new camper. Life is good, Happy Camping!
We don't use the comforter. We have the bed sheet, cover sheet, 2 pillows on our bed, and that's it. We hqve had no issues at all. Maybe your dealer can move the latches, or DIY.

We've been full time in ours since May 20th...still loving it!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #17

We have the 20mrb and so far (6mos.) it has worked fine. The murphy bed works well, good mattress, but just today decided for ultimate comfort we bought a 3" foam pad at Costco. We got the double bed pad as it fit better with dimensions of mattress 74 1/2"x 54". We loose 4" off each side but this is no big deal. It fits fine in aloted space even with comforter and bolts in well.
ddiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #18

Question

My wife and I just bought the new 2016 23 MDS jay flight tt model and are new to the travel trailer scene, this model has the Murphy bed but find it a little stiff and hard on my bad hips now we want to add one of those 4" memory foam mattresses and was wondering if we will still be able to close the Murphy bed with the added thickness.
Hwy2nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #19

YES! We have a '15 20MRB. On the bed is memory foam topper, two thick sleeping bags and a folding card table under the mattress and it closes with no problem.

Why the card table? Because I cannot get my size 13s under the useless table included with the trailer due to the large under structure.

Murff
Andersen Hitch
Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:34 PM   #20

Memory foam

I was glad to hear about the Murphy bed working with a memory foam topper. I to think the mattress is a bit firm and own a Costco foam topper so plan to give it a try.

By the way has anyone actually experienced a problem of the bed accidentally going up while you are on the bed? I just can't see how this is really a problem but we were advised by the tech to be sure we kept the security straps attached.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote