Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-08-2022, 01:31 AM   #1

My spare tire carrier broke...

For my 195, anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement? The OEM one was cheap crap.

Looking at this as a possibility but no experience with these type of carriers. Help?

BAL 28217 Hide-A-Spare Tire Storage - I-Beam Recessed Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KPQYZ6O/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2GJRR08DZ55DSM1R28BN
Attached Thumbnails
20220331_151807.jpg  
MrKABC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:33 AM   #2
Site Team

No experience with carriers underneath, ours is on the bumper, but I believe BAL makes good stuff.

Would it be worth it to take it to a welder, and have it reinforced in the weak areas, or is it that bad of a mount?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:56 AM   #3

That pictured looks like it is bumper mounted. The new ones have the hinged mount for lay down and easy removal. Look on etrailer. Do you have tge ground clearance needed for an underneath tire carrier?
Old 04-08-2022, 12:01 PM   #4

I love the BAL Hide a Spare. Mine is mounted up front under the toy hauler deck, it fits snug up between the frame rails. Makes it quick and easy to check the air in the spare.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:05 PM   #5

I took a better look at my original tire carrier - it turns out it wasn't the WELD that broke, but rather the metal itself "tore" away from the weld. It's going to the trash unfortunately. Definitely a cheap grade of metal that even Harbor Freight would be embarrassed to offer.

Since I have an SLX7 (meaning SEVEN foot wide trailer) I think my dreams of an "under trailer" carrier are dashed. The frame rails appear to be too close together to support the Lippert or Bal offerings.

What do you guys think of this one?

https://www.etrailer.com/Spare-Tire-...15-954730.html
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:19 PM   #6

[QUOTE=MrKABC;1040248]For my 195, anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement? The OEM one was cheap crap.

/QUOTE]

On this website, It's really hard to tell if a pic is posted sideways, upside down, or other orientation. Why the site managers don't fix this is another question. Most folks post a pic oriented correctly, but the website changes that. Yeah I know, what do you get for free.

It looks to me that the weld for the flat bracket is pulling out from the 4" bumper? Taking bumper material with it? I would take the trailer to a weld shop and get some suggestions.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #7

[QUOTE=Yooper906;1040595]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKABC View Post
For my 195, anyone have any recommendations for a good replacement? The OEM one was cheap crap.

/QUOTE]

On this website, It's really hard to tell if a pic is posted sideways, upside down, or other orientation. Why the site managers don't fix this is another question. Most folks post a pic oriented correctly, but the website changes that. Yeah I know, what do you get for free.

It looks to me that the weld for the flat bracket is pulling out from the 4" bumper? Taking bumper material with it? I would take the trailer to a weld shop and get some suggestions.
Yes, it tweaked the picture here on the site. IDK why it does that. At any event, the original carrier is toast. The post that supports the wheel carrier mount has torn - definitely pot metal that Harbor Freight would be embarrassed to offer, even on sale.

The carrier bolts to the bumper (typical 4" box, thin metal but is OK from the OEM one) so it was a simple matter to unbolt and toss aside. I thought about getting the "under trailer" one but I think the 195 is too small, so I'll most likely go back with another bumper mount. Was hoping someone had installed an "under trailer" type mount in a 195/185 or so (any SLX7, really) so they could point me in the right direction.

I see the replacement carrier from e-trailer has a few bad reviews so I was also hoping for others' experiences so I could pick the right one.
MODS: Dual GC2 LiFePO4 System, BAL (4) Stabilizers, Hengs vent fan, Dual Propane conversion, Furrion FOSO7TASF Rear Camera, Digital Thermostat, See Level 709P3W1003 Tank Monitor System, 200w solar panels, other cool things.
Old 04-17-2022, 01:48 PM   #8

Ah well. Was hoping for ideas but not a lot for 195RB I guess. Got the generic eTrailer one and called it a day.
Attached Thumbnails
20220416_153915.jpg