Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #21

I have a Ford Edge with the 3.5 V6 and tow a 16"Hummingbird with no problems. Been to Florida for last 2 winters.
vermontster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:29 PM   #22

whoops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalej88 View Post
I have a 2009 Escape and have on occasion towed my old 18' trailer which had a dry weight of 3000 lbs and it felt like I was working it awfully hard. It did it, but I wouldn't want to go to far doing it. I think you would be disappointed if you did it. My two cents worth.
According to Ford, 2.5L can tow 1,500 lbs, 3.0L can tow 2,000 lbs. Hybrid towing-not recommended.
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:47 PM   #23

I tow my 195rb with a 2016 Jeep Cherokee w/ factory tow pack (4500lb), they are a good pair. With a weight distribution hitch and proper loading of the trailer there is very minimal squat in the rear.
We had an 05 Escape before the jeep, I towed a couple smaller utility trailers, probably close to the 3000lbs and it did the job, it would probably tow a 195rb around town or short runs on the highways but anything hilly would be the problem. It would most likely be a transmission that gives out first.
DarryfromOntary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 04:53 PM   #24

I had that Jayco. Sleeps three. I loved that TT but ended up getting traded because I discovered that the family who no longer wanted to go camping suddenly took an interest in my retirement trailer. That one is a 2900 GVWR. I had a jeep grand cherokee 2004 that ended up being traded because of something wrong with the transmission. I got a Trail hawk that turned out to be junk. That had a tow capacity of 5500. I hated that car. So I traded that in for 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee tow capacity of 6500. They installed a complete tow pkg. That thing was a dream thru Colorado. We went slow thru wolf pass but it was a trooper. O back to TT. I traded the first TT because it slept 3 for a Coachman because there were no Jaycos available for what I wanted. The coachman is a bunkbed model 21 feet sleeps 5. Dry weight is weird because it says 2900 but then another label says 3500. No matter. I try not to load it up too much but we had no problems 3 weeks to and from Colorado and Utah and O those hills. There were 3 dogs and 4 people in that car. What a trip. IMO? I would trade in the truck for something with more tow like the Grand Cherokee. IMO Can't wait to hit the road full time. Sigh in a few years. Happy Trails.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #25

Trailer weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyr View Post
I have a jayco 154bh, dry weight 2600lbs. I tow it with my 2006 Ford escape, tow capacity 3500 lbs. I would like to buy a jayco 195rb, dry weight 2890 lbs. Would this be a problem? Love my 154 but tired of dropping the dinnet every night for a bed. We camp every month for 3-4 nights, we travel light with small amount of equipment. We live in Florida but have been to Georgia and handled hills pretty good. Any ad?
I have a 185RB and have weighed it ...... Its pretty much the same as the 195 but bed goes across the front ..It weighs fully loaded 1/2 tank of water at 3450 lbs .... Keep in mind where you live ... We have a mountain either way we travel and had to upgrade from a ford PU 4.2 v6 to a Chev Silverado 4.8 v8 Massive difference in pulling power !!! Rool of thumb trailer weight 2/3 of max tow vehicle capacity .... Just a thought
SAMM Kinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #26
CAG

Quote:
I would try to find a better calculator than this. Reading through the definitions and assumptions made, I have issue with several statements.
If you read my post you will find that I said search for Can I Tow This. That was one example. There are a gazillion sites out there with formulas for figuring what you can and cannot tow.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:20 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
It always worries me when the numbers are so close. I’ve always said with this topic that “just because you can, doesn’t mean that you should”. I’ve pulled trailers with trucks that “could” tow them but just because the numbers said it could doesn’t mean it was comfortable or safe. I’m always amazed by the trucks and SUVs with sagging rear ends and trailer sway struggling their way down the highways. Consider the size of the brakes on the vehicle, will you be able to stop the rig in the event of an emergency? Think of trailer sway and buffeting, shorter lighter tow vehicles are much more susceptible to this. Think of engine power and transmission durability, are you going to be pushing the tow vehicle hard and wearing out the transmission and engine?
I’ve been on the “barely capable” side of pulling a trailer. Believe me that being on the overkill, totally confident side is worth every penny. I want to be pulling my trailer in a good relaxed mood, not worrying every time a big hill is coming or gripping the wheel as a crosswind or semi pushes me around.
This is exactly why I went from a 2014 F-150, tow capacity of 7,800 lbs to a 2018 F-150 tow capacity 10,500 lbs. My trailer is a 2017 RB23, GVWR 6,500 lbs. I like lots of wiggle room!
Cechardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:33 AM   #28

Yes, you should be fine towing the Jayco 195rb with your Ford Escape. The dry weight of the trailer is only 2890 lbs, which is well within the towing capacity of your vehicle. You may want to double check the specifications of your vehicle to be sure, but it looks like you'll be able to tow this trailer without any problems. Thanks for the question!
JackNidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:42 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackNidd View Post
Yes, you should be fine towing the Jayco 195rb with your Ford Escape. The dry weight of the trailer is only 2890 lbs, which is well within the towing capacity of your vehicle. You may want to double check the specifications of your vehicle to be sure, but it looks like you'll be able to tow this trailer without any problems. Thanks for the question!
Ford, across several years lists tow capacity of the Escape a 1,500-2,000 lbs depending on equipment. The only Escape with 'better' towing is the 2022. https://www.jdemmerford.com/research...g-capacity.htm
kblast523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 04:17 AM   #30

Sure. But that depends on a trim level too. Some are just built better for towing. Taking only a year into account is not good enough. I would advise checking the specs of a vehicle by both year and trim level. That should give a better perspective.
JackNidd is offline   Reply With Quote