Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #21

Wait so you just left it there and picked it up with a bigger vehicle later?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxi View Post
...After 1 day of towing it we decided to park it at a campground....
jintoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 12:20 PM   #22

I had a 2001 Windstar with a 2003 Antigua 19CK. The combination was one of the best towing combinations I've ever had (except the 5th wheel). I wish that the Ford had a little more power, but it was super stable.
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #23

No, we didn't have a bigger vehicle. We drove slowly and found a campground nearby that supposedly fit our needs. However, although the owner said it had wifi--the wifi did not reach our camper and the bandwidth was pitiful. Then the wars began for wifi access between the owner and us. At the end of the season we just drove out of there and put the camper somewhere else, (also close by). Hopefully we like the second place. We have just upgraded the tires though, so that should help if we must move it again.
Maxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #24

Another question about this: I'm also entertaining the 16XRB, which looks like a narrower version of the X17Z, more similar in interior dimensions to the 184 BH. What are people's thoughts about the 7 foot width compared to the 8 foot width? In particular for the Sienna, would I need extra mirrors to peek past an 8 foot trailer? The lady at the dealership says no, but I don't understand how so.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #25

Get the mirror extensions, you will be much happier and confident being able to switch lanes with the ability to see whats back there....
heebzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by heebzman View Post
Get the mirror extensions, you will be much happier and confident being able to switch lanes with the ability to see whats back there....
You mean even for a 7-ft wide trailer, right?
Old 11-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #27

Absolutely
heebzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #28

Like I mentioned, I also have the Sienna.... Get the mirrors for 8ft wide camper... Can't quite see...
AirLift 1000 Suspension
MrScary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #29

Mr scary your right on the money. Ultra light trailer plus A little more spring in the rear and a good anti sway weight distribution hitch.Yes your Minivan or SUV will pull it if you have the horsepower. Large V6 is the minimum.
bjhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #30

We have had zero issues towing our 184bh with a odyssey. Been up to the high Sierras several times and it did great. I did get a small WDH which helped with a the slight squat in the rear. Here is my thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...hlight=Minivan
TheTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jintoku View Post
Another question about this: I'm also entertaining the 16XRB, which looks like a narrower version of the X17Z, more similar in interior dimensions to the 184 BH. What are people's thoughts about the 7 foot width compared to the 8 foot width? In particular for the Sienna, would I need extra mirrors to peek past an 8 foot trailer? The lady at the dealership says no, but I don't understand how so.
I'm using a 2000 Ford Ranger to pull my Jayco Featherlite 16XRB. I have no issues with this setup. I have performed one upgrade to the Ford Ranger that I would also recommend: a set of monroe air shocks (if they make them for a mini van). These help in leveling the back. My truck has the 3.0, which is rated at 185 HP, but pulls this camper hybrid just fine. I won't break any land speed records with it, but towing is fine.
As many have stated, do your homework. I researched and found the Ford published towing capacity docs for my year ranger. They include adding weight for options, all of which are subtracted from the total gross weight rating for your vehicle. Don't forget to include passengers, toys, groceries, other camping gear to the total weight you are hauling; it all adds up.

As to towing mirrors, I tried the extensions, but found they did no better than a set of 2006 and up outside mirrors for a Ford Ranger (added to my 2000). I can see behind my camper just fine with these. The extensions would move slightly in the wind, even with them clamped down hard.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboat95 View Post
Another thing you have to look at is the square footage of the front of the trailer. My Escape has the same capacities as the Sienna. My fully loaded trailer weighs right at 3100 lbs. The Escape pulls it well even in moderate hills. My issue is wind resistance. Experience has taught me that 57mph is all she's got without gear hunting. I have a gauge that measures HP Torque and engine load. At 57mph my engine is using 100% load. There is nothing left. As a mechanic, I dont like to see loads above 80-90%. Its just too much strain on rings and heads. Mind you, my Escape tows it but she dont want no more. Mine isn't the weight its the wind resistance.

What type of gauge and where did you get it. I would like to have one of these installed on my TV. Thanks
tnmcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 05:26 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmcouple View Post
What type of gauge and where did you get it. I would like to have one of these installed on my TV. Thanks
Here's one:

and an iTunes app if you buy the OBDII bluetooth adaptor:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/engi...591557194?mt=8

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #34

Torque Pro. Works an android phones only. Uses a Bluetooth device that plugs into your OBDII port. Reports everything to your phone that the pcm records. App is $5 and plug was $10 off Amazon. Also checks codes and can clear them. As well quite a bit of other stuff I haven't figured out yet. If you are an Apple user try dash command. I haven't used it but it reviews well on truck forums.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:03 PM   #35

...This guy is towing 7000# with his Sienna the last 4 years with a CanAm modified hitch.

http://toadsoftowedhaul.weebly.com/the-toadmobile.html
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 01-09-2015, 05:41 PM   #36

You can also do things to reduce the tongue weight. Get a smaller propane tank. They make a 5 pound tank. You can also take a small lawn mower battery or even smalller gel cell battery to act as the emergency power for the brakes.

x

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #37

We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. My wife towed a '06 Starcraft XP18rb several times with no problems. She would use the Wrangler to tow if I needed our 2500HD to go racing. After about a year, she grew tired of the setup needed with the hybrid. We traded for a new Jay Flight 238rb last fall. She can't tow it with the Wrangler but is much happier with the ease of setup and breakdown.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #38

You can say all you like about towing over rated capacity and that "it's fine". I have towed 2 trailers with vehicles that put me close to the rated capacities. I towed a Kiwi 17a with a variety of vehicles, including a mini-van, a Suburban, and a Trailblazer. Yes, it towed "fine" and I had "no problems" using the mini-van. It was far nicer to tow with the 'Burb and Trailblazer. I have also towed my X20E with a vehicle that was close to capacity, once again, "no problems".

What I can tell you from personal experience is that it is far better to tow with a properly sized vehicle that has reserve capacity. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't tow close to capacity. I'm saying there is a dramatic improvement in the towing experience when having a properly sized tow vehicle.

Will I tow close to capacity again sometime? Probably. Will I tow, or advocate towing over capacity? Not a chance.

We in the US live in a litigious society. If you do chose to tow over capacity, even if you determine the vehicle can physically handle more than rated capacities, can you defend that determination in a civil suit should you get involved in an injury (or death!) accident related? The one question I have never gotten an answer to, even from Andy Thompson himself (on a different forum), is does Can-Am offer to accept liability in these setups sold to U.S. customers? I'm guessing not.

And please don't compare US tow ratings to Europe. Different safety laws, different safety equipment, etc. Apples to oranges.

What happened to the OP? Did he ever buy that trailer?
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #39

This is always a contentious subject. This is why when asked about it, I tell people to do their own homework and make their own decision. Many feel that the ratings on certain vehicles is not realistic, where other vehicle ratings are more accurate. Everybody needs to ascertain that for themselves. That's my disclaimer....

For me, I know that my vehicle is under-rated. I am not here to prove it or persuade anyone. I am just telling about my experience and others I've read about. Do I feel comfortable towing a couple hundred pounds over? Yes. Would I feel comfortable towing almost double? No.

Yes, I would agree. Andy Thompson/Can-Am RV probably do not accept the liability. Although, I also know that many US RV dealers will sell you whatever you are willing to pay for. When I purchased mine, they didn't even bring up the subject. They don't seem to worry much or care about the liability.....
AirLift 1000 Suspension
Old 01-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #40

I agree with docbrown. My comment about the Wrangler was directed more to the people that say you can't tow with one. Mine has a tow package and I use a wdh and sway bar.

What you can tow with and what is better to tow with can be two different things. When I bought my 2500HD, my FIL told my wife there was no reason to buy a truck that big when a 1500 would tow my 28' racecar trailer just fine. Would it? Probably. Is it easier to tow with the 2500? Definitely.

Last year we took a trip that was 1000 miles round trip. The 2500 didn't even know the 238rb was even back there.