Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #1

New Jayfeather 242

Hi all
New to the forum and to travel trailers. Just picked up my new Jayfeather 242 and spent a few nights in it. Overall enjoying it. A bit confused about some of the construction decisions though. Working on fixing those I can. Interested in other owners experiences. Major concerns include: no black tank flush port (I had one added by the dealer); no reading lights over the bed (had that installed); no medicine cabinet (working on how to solve - interested in ideas); very large holes in the bottom shelves under the bathroom and kitchen sinks - easy to drop things into areas of the trailer that are almost inaccessible (working on fixing this as well).

I think the overall quality is exceptional - just a shame that some of the design decisions were so poor. Looks like most are fixable however.
talking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #2

Congrats and welcome. They are more or less all like that, take a look at the "Jayco Mods" forum, I've found tons of ideas there.
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the user friendly Jayco Owners forum! Our members just love to answer questions or help out other members when possible and have fun sharing their experiences . They also love pictures of your RV, tow vehicles, and campsites!! So do not hesitate to post pics of your Jayco in the "Pics of your Jayco forum" and pics of your tow vehicle in the "Tow Vehicle forum".

Feel free to participate in our many fun polls (first thread in New Members forum has them all listed, second thread has more new member welcoming info). Post often, have fun with the forum, and enjoy your Jayco!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #4

Congrats on the 242, enjoy it. I have a 228 and love it, getting ready to bring her out of hibernation soon. We have a group of 228ers, as a fellow Ultralite owner, maybe some of our knowledge might be helpful, feel free to ask or check out the group for questions we already asked each other. Good luck and happy camping.
Dogfather to Yoshi our rescue German Shepherd
and Alley our husky mix rescue
Lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:47 PM   #5

We have a 25Z which is the previous version of the 242 and nearly identical in layout from what I can see. We bought ours used and it came with medicine cabinet, reading lights over the bed and I don't recall holes under the sinks that you mentioned. The drawers under the sink were missing so I made two. I added an electrical outlet above the dinette so it was easier to plug in our computer and put in a flat screen TV with bracket attached to the cabinet over the dinette. The original outside mounted grill was gone so I made a folding shelf so that we could use our Quisinart with the propane outlet under the trailer.

We lived in it for almost 3 months straight last year and are planing to hit the road again at the end of April. I may add some doors so that I can get to the storage under the dinette seats and not have to remove the cushions and tops. Our old RV had them and it was much more convenient. I would like to figure out how to make our sofa more comfortable for sitting or figure out some way to replace it. It will never be made into a bed. But overall, we love the layout and the TT. Hope yours is a good to you as ours has been to us.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	6732Here is what I did in our last trailer due to not having a proper medicine cabinet. It's an over the door shoe clear vinyl shoe organizer. It actually worked great and of course we only saw it in the bathroom, where we needed all this stuff...

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by talking View Post
Hi all
A bit confused about some of the construction decisions though. Working on fixing those I can. Interested in other owners experiences. Major concerns include:.... very large holes in the bottom shelves under the bathroom and kitchen sinks - easy to drop things into areas of the trailer that are almost inaccessible (working on fixing this as well).
hey there I just had an idea and wonder if those holes are put there for a specific purpose? I just thought if it were me I would try to find a cup that would fit in that hole to plug it, and also hold some very useful items that you want access too on a regular basis? Like in bathroom a cup to hold toothbrushes, or a drinking cup? And in kitchen some other similar application like holding cooking spoons?

I don't know, but it just occurred to me that those holes might have a purpose?

Hope you are enjoying your new home away from home =) Someday I hope I get to join your ranks. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 242 and wish I was getting one of those. We will probably get the Flight 19RD to start with due to our size and weight restrictions.
woltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #8

oh! and for the reading lights... rather than deal with wiring them into the cabinets, if it were me I would buy some of those cool little battery powered stick up lights... and get a rechargeable battery system. You can put a light anywhere you want that way - fast, easy, safe, removable, replaceable, convenient.
woltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by woltra View Post
oh! and for the reading lights... rather than deal with wiring them into the cabinets, if it were me I would buy some of those cool little battery powered stick up lights... and get a rechargeable battery system. You can put a light anywhere you want that way - fast, easy, safe, removable, replaceable, convenient.
I bought a five pack, batteries included with remote at costco $ 29. I'll install them before the next trip.
equalizer 1000# hitch
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote