Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #1

New member looking at White Hawks

Hi all, new to the forum, looking at White Hawks. We are going back and fourth between the 26SRK and the 27DSRL. I have seen quit a few folks on the forum with 27DSRL trailers, but I haven't seen many with the 26SRK. We did look at a 27DSRL at the dealer, but they did not have a 26SRK.

Anyways, thought I would join your forum and see if I can get some opinions of the two trailers. Also, looks like the 2013 brochures are starting to come out (http://www.jayco.com/products/travel...nload-brochure), dealer said anything new coming out of the factory is 2013, but the literature is always behind.

How do you all like your trailers? Any advice.... Our initial impressions of 26SRK vs 27DSRL....

26SRK
Pros:
  • At 28'11", seems to be a nice length not-too-big and not-too-small. Note, currently we have a 2007 17' Casita which we like in terms of ease of travel, but we are ready for the larger comforts.
  • We like the U-Shape Dinette, plus like the Dinette and Sofa being across from one another; creating a good conversation area.
  • Appears to have more storage (e.g. large ward, pantry).
  • Like the curved wall look; just provides a retro feeling.
Cons:
  • When slide is closed, looks like you can not get to the bathroom for those times of needing on-the-road conveniences.

27DSRL
Pros:
  • Rear-living chairs; comfortable area for reading a book or having morning coffee....
  • Dedicated entertainment center.
  • Deep-slide provides additional elbow room.
Cons:
  • Don't like position of bathroom (e.g. walk-thru to bedroom, having to sleep with door closed if others are staying in camper, possible musty odors coming into bedroom,...).

-- bbapps (aka. bob)
bbapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #2

I like the layout of the 27DSRL better between the two.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:49 PM   #3

We looked at a few White Hawks till we decided on the 26DSRB. Like Mike said the 27DSRL is a nice floor plan, but the DW really liked the rear bathroom so we chose the 26DSRB which has a pretty good layout also.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Thanks, for the input, just can't get over the bathroom being the center-point on the 27DSRL, maybe I'm off there and it would grow on me, but…. I do like those chairs thou, if the 27DSRL just had the 26SRK bathroom, hands down, that would be my trailer.

The 26DSRB is a possibility, but I would want the table/chairs option so people could sit and face the people on the couch which would actually be a pretty good option.

RickAE, with the 26DRSB do you have the outside kitchen (i.e. stove, etc.) option, if so, is the stove/grill pretty usable, how often do you use it VS a stand-alone grill?
Old 06-25-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, bbapps. Good luck with your trailer search!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #6

Thanks Crabman, Commercial Fisherman, some people have all the fun!!!!

Back on subject, do any of you see anything on the 2013's that you wish you had on your 2012? Looking at the brochure, the only possible difference I see (i.e. not sure) is the "Magnum Roof". Think that is worth it?

Reason I ask, looks like one of the local dealers has a 2012 26dsrb, wondering if I should make an offer. Doesn't have the table/chairs, but Deep Slide is tempting me.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:31 PM   #7

What is the 'magnum roof'?
I have a 2012 White hawk 31DSLB and believe it has the same roof without the fancy name? Do you know if the construction differs from below?
This is taken directly from the 2012 brochure....
3/8", 4-ply, plywood decking: Creates
White Hawk’s sturdy, full walk-on
construction
5" crowned truss rafters: Provides
the industry’s strongest roof frame
Batting attic insulation: Maintains
interior temperature
Seamless Alpha Ply roof material:
Features one-piece design, ensuring better
leak prevention

Ah me thinks its a little clearer now....I did some digging...Here is from the 2013 brochure...what's everyone's take?

4 1/2" crowned wood trusses: Uses 2"x 2"
vertical studs to maximize load capacity, while
oversized nail plates provide a tighter design
3/8" roof decking, screwed down at every
seam: More durable than typical stapled
construction, provides fully walkable roof
Residential attic-style insulation: Maintains
interior temperatures while allowing for room
to run wiring, reducing risky electrical shorts
One-piece, sidewall-wrapped Alpha Ply
material: Provides better leak protection

In any case I'm sure you will be happy no matter which model you choose should you purchase a White Hawk. My family is tickled pink with ours.
31dslbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #8

The wife and I have a 27dsrl and other than the tiny bathroom sink we are well pleased with it. It has all options except the table and chairs, so it is easy to set up and take down and I really like the power awning. Its also easy to tow.
Samque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #9

Nice to know that it is easy to tow, especially given I'm use to 17' Casita with a 5.7L Tundra. I have to check the rear-view every so often to make sure the trailer is still there.

On that reference to "Magnum Roof" in 2013 brochure, I'm wondering if they started making that roof when the White Hawks were first introduced, in 2013 they are officially naming the structure and rolling it out to other lines.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #10

BB no we opted not to get the outside kitchen. The dealer had one on the lot but I didn't think it was worth it. The outside fridge.comes with or without the kitchen option. I like that. keep some cold ones out there. I do have the bumper grill option which works pretty good. Good luck with which ever one you choose.
US Army
VN.71-72
RickAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #11

I have the 27DSRL and I'm happy with the floor plan. The bathroom placement hasn't created any issues. I got the free standing table and chairs and appreciate the flexibility the option provides. The only options I didn't order were the hide-a-bed and aluminum wheels.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:36 PM   #12

Think I'm going with the 26srk, almost went for the 26dsrb, but backed down, keep adding length and width to our original plan. No 26srk trailers at the local dealers here in Dallas area, having dealer work us up a quote for ordering one, also requested a quote from Indiana rv connection. I have family on the way, so what the heck just might make a road-trip out of it. We'll see, fingers crossed.

Thanks, all
Old 06-28-2012, 12:07 AM   #13

BB-

I just ordered a 28DSBH through Indiana RV Connection. The savings over my local dealer was mind blowing! As in almost 27% savings on the exact same TT and options. Now I just have to drive there...no family along the way. Strafing run, but at least I have a place to sleep on the return trip!
telefonclockdesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #14

Just got the quote, 30% off on 2013 26SRK with just about all options (e.g. no roof ladder, no grill). Going to be hard to pass it up. A couple thousand miles round-trip, but I like to travel. Dealer is going to have to come very-very close to that; destination charge in my area is around 1450. Given 3.50 a gallon for gas, probably will spend about 700 for gas to get up there.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #15

Go for it. You'll love Middlebury and will get to see the factory. The Indiana RV Connection team is fantastic. What better way to get to know your new Jayco than to drive it home yourself.
mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #16

Does that 30% off price include the wd hitch and also don't forget that when you get it home and go to register it you will have to pay all the taxes that are due.
Samque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samque View Post
Does that 30% off price include the wd hitch and also don't forget that when you get it home and go to register it you will have to pay all the taxes that are due.
Nope,no wdh,looking at wdh options now. Trust me I know about the sales tax, 6.25% here in Texas, hard to forget about that. Actually, they call it a use tax when buying out-of-state and bring it into Texas, but same diff still 6.25%.