Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #1

New poster and owner of a Jayco199

I'm the owner of a new 199 that has a GVW of 4750# and unloaded weight of
3495# and a hitch weight of 265#. The camper I had was a Jayco 1206 (w/ slide out) w/hitch weight of 245#,GVW of 3450,unloaded weight of 2450#.
The TV is a 2004 Chevy Colorodo 4WD with I 5 engine(rated at 4000# towing and 400# hitch) and it handled the pop up pretty good.
My question is, "Will I need a WDH?"
Looking for someone in the know.
TONYTHOMAS1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #2

Hi Tony and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. There are some fairly knowlegable folks here who will definitely post here for you. You own a new Jayco and have a tv that's tow rating is less the the GVWR of the tt. I would suggest to set up your tv and tt for camping, then go get it weighed. Weigh the tt, the tv, tongue, and the combined. Find out the GCVWR for your tv. Compare the numbers. Your dealer prob said that your tv could handle the tt? With my limited knowlege, I would say yes on the WDH!

If you are a weekend camper who travels a few level miles to get to the CG, you may be ok. If you plan to do hills/mountains, you may be in the market for a new tv! I will leave it to the experts to answers your questions, but definitely post pics and have fun on your maiden voyage!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote