Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #1

Newbie with many questions about our SLX 175RD and RV’ng

My wife and I are brand new at RV’ng but we put the deposit down and will pick up our brand new 2018 Jay Flight SLX 175RD in April. We have many beginner questions we would love to have advice.

Here we go (feel free to answer all or just one or 2):

1. What are the storage compartment openings dimensions? We are thinking it would be best to purchase plastic storage bins to help store and organize like items. We don’t want to purchase anything that won’t fit. Does this make sense or is there a better system you use?

2. What would you consider “essential foundational items” for the 1st time out? There are so many things out there it is hard to identify the foundational basics.

3. How well does the built in digital antenna work? I understand that depends on where we would be camping and signal strength.

4. Are any additional leveling jacks needed?

Thank you very much for your help and advice.
dad4jab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #2

I'll try to help but I don't own that model trailer so I can only speculate on some things.

I suggest you just use it a few times and discover what really want and prioritize upgrades before spending extra money.

If your going to be dry camping I would suggest figuring out how your going to keep the batteries charged, whether it be a generator, solar or a combination of the 2.
I can't answer about stabilizers because I don't know how many the 17rd comes with but the leveling blocks are extremely handy to have.

As far as TV I gave up on our antenna and use a Amazon firestik connected to my phone as a hotspot.
Lord Humongous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:23 PM   #3

I'm not sure about the storage dimensions but plastic totes are a must. They keep things organized and also keeps them from rolling all over. I did buy two front stabilizer jacks. I also have the lego's (pads) that go under the jacks. Take a level for set up. Wheel chocks are needed for safety. Our antenna system is pretty good. If you are in the boonies, then it's not so good but if you are near cities it picks them up well.
I like the awning deflappers and a tie down system. Extension cords are a must. I take a 5 gal water jug for small fill ups when we run low on water. A rug outside the door is nice. I'm sure I'm missing some basics but that's a start.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 PM   #4

Hello and congratulations on your new trailer!!

My wife and I purchased a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 175RD Baja Edition last summer and have enjoyed it and the experience. We found the floor plan and ease of towing real positives.

Regarding essentials.....one person's essentials is another's non-essential. 😀
I would recommend just googling "essential things for rv trailering" it will bring up many blogs, lists, etc of what many consider essential.

I would emphasize things like the hoses, chocks, levelers, electrical adapters, water pressure regulators, electrical line conditioning, monitoring, and surge protection.

The baja edition came with all four stabilizers. If yours only has two, try it out but you may find you need the other two to minimize movement after set up.

The following are things we did that certainly wouldn't be considered essential to most but made the unit much more useable for us and our style of rving.

The upgrades I did to my unit when I purchased it was to add 2 deep cycle 6 volt golf cart batteries. A side solar port to connect solar suitcase panels. A power tongue jack....a real necessity if towing using a weight distribution hitch imho. Added a 4 inch memory foam mattress topper. Reinforced the queen bed support and added a couple gas struts to make access to the front storage space easier. You'll find the external front compartment door is too small for putting some decent size storage containers through. I added a Fantastic Fan in the rear dining space. We added a back up camera.
Since we only have one axle I upgraded the load range c tires to load range d and added a tire pressure monitoring system.....did this because we took a couple 3000 mile excursions. I looked at putting a swivel tv mount up but because the internal wall plywood support off the dining area/bathroom wall supposedly only supports about ~15 lbs we chose to just put our 32 inch tv on the entertainment stand and then travel with it on the mattress. I also ran a 25 foot coaxial tv cable from that stand, down through the power compartment under the right side bench seat, and out the 30amp external power cord opening. We use this when we are staying places that provide cable tv.....I just pull it out and push it back in with the 30amp power cord.
We also took the dinette table top and legs out and just use a small foot ottoman to put up our legs or use as an eating tray......makes sitting around and getting in and out from behind the dinette way easier.

Sorry if this was too much information.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Thank you very much for the info! Are you speaking of the 30 amp extension cord or regular household type extension cords? I purchased the 30 amp extension cord but may have to add the others to the cargo. if those are what you are speaking of.

Thank you so much for your help!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #6

This was a great help too! We have been scouring the different online posts and recommendations enough to get ourselves confused. :-) I think we managed to identify and acquire most of the things you listed as necessities.

We also lucked out and there was an RV show where we were able to go look very closely again at the trailer to measure and identify the need for those pneumatic hinges. That will be the first modification I do when we get the trailer because those openings on the outside are definitely small!

Thank you for your reply and help!
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #7

And we have the bigger 195 and did very little
It’s still on one OEM battery. Supplemented by a 2000 w generator. But that has seen little use
Half our camping is dry and in the forest and we can go four days

We added bed lifts a better mattress and two homemade front stabilizers

Surge protection yep

WDH no

Water pressure regulator yep

Tire pressure monitor a hand gauge

You do have to keep an eye on tires and axles and bearings. We have had bearing blow out

We did not try to mount a TV either. Just lay it on the bed during travel

And we don’t use any buckets save for small repair tools and wood. Pieces of 2x4 come in handy

Add a 6 gal tank for when you need to get more water when dry camping

And. Headlamp for working in the dark

We’re up to 50000 miles in two years

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:07 AM   #8

That's great! We are looking forward to everything. The first trip will actually be to pick up the trailer in the midwest. Once we have it we will spend a month working our way back to CA. I am sure at the end of that trip we will have a whole list of things to bring and have going forward. :-)
We have picked most of the things on your must have list so we are feeling good, but definitely not cocky. Thank you for your help!
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad4jab View Post
Here we go (feel free to answer all or just one or 2):
The antennas I've used work well if you can get a signal. Pro tip: look at your neighbors and see the direction they set up their antenna. This could save you some trial and error getting the clearest signal. Also in campers I've had there is a booster for the antenna that is typically located near the tv plug in. It's been a little red button. Push this button when using the antenna.

Leveling jacks are not needed. Some type of leveling system is a must. The camper will likely have stabilizer jacks which are needed. I would just pick up leveling blocks (for the tires) from the dealer when you get the trailer. They are plastic (honeycomb design), cheap, and will work fine. I wouldn't over complicate the leveling gadgets this trip. I use a level (like carpenters leveling) and set it on the floor and/or kitchen counter of the camper when leveling. Once you know the camper is really level, you can mount a level indicator on the exterior of the camper if you like. These are also cheap and easy to replace.

Supplies: ya everyone has different needs. I'm sure you will think of the essentials and add as you see the need. Don't over do it right away.

Other notes:

Never uncouple the trailer without chocking/blocking the tires (i've used cheap plastic chocks and wood blocks).

If you are picking this trailer up and hitting the road the same day, I would caution you to slow down. My advise is to have a couple days to shake the unit down. Find a location near the RV dealer to camp for at least a couple days. Make sure all the systems are operating normally. Roof don't leak... The dealer will do a pre-delivery inspection on the unit. Typically they include you at the end of that inspection to show you everything. For example the typical RV fridge takes a half day to get to normal operating temp. If the fridge is not cold during this inspection you don't really know if it works right. Same with the heater, a/c, plumbing. Some folks dump their storage tanks for the first time and find blockage. I've had multiple campers and all of them have had some type of repair or warranty need. Go into this expecting the same. These repairs I would put into two groups. 1- those needing professional repair. 2. those needing cosmetic or less than professional repairs. The normal trip to the dealer for warranty work is a multiple day deal. Dealers service techs are typically booked days in advance.

If/when you find something needing repair I would decide if this is something worthy of using the dealer, or is this something cosmetic that can wait. You don't want to take the trailer to the dealer at the beginning of camping season when they want to keep if for 2 weeks (or longer depending on availability of parts). If it's a cosmetic issue (broken cabinet hardware) I would try to get the dealer to ship the parts to me to fix.

Not trying to scare ya. But if something needs fixed you would be much happier to get it done right before you hit the open road.

Last: lack of maintenance is often the source of the works failures on campers. don't stop educating yourself on the systems and maintenance needed to keep them working for you. Tires, wheel bearings, batteries, etc. If the air conditioner fails you may not sleep well at night. If a tire or bearing fails, that can leave you stranded.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:04 AM   #10

Stick with 30 amp extension cords and make sure you have plug adapters in case the hookups don't accept a 30 amp plug. I doubt if you will need a 50 amp to 30 amp. I don't have one. Household extension cords can be used in an emergency but you will need plug adapters. Experience will be your best way to get more knowledge. Enjoy.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:06 AM   #11

X2 hboy suggestions.

I also found it useful to video capture on smartphone or iPad the walkthrough they show you when you pick up the unit if new to rving. Especially, hot water heater operation, furnace, and water bypass operation, fuses, etc.

I was referring to the standard 30 amp power cord that you pull from the side of the trailer that is connected to the power station/converter underneath the right side bench of the dinette.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
Old 03-15-2018, 09:30 AM   #12

I would just add that the need/desire of a WDH is dependent upon the towing capabilities of your tow vehicle and hitch, towing steering and sway characteristics when actually towing, and you and your passengers comfort/anxiousness level if experiencing sway while traveling around 60-65 or wind gusts.

We have found the Andersen WDH to be a good solution, reasonable cost with minimal effort/mess for the lighter weight trailers with tongue weights under 500-600 lbs. It doesn't appear to do well for trailers with heavier tongue weights. We have also had experience with other WDHs such as Equalizer, Blue Ox and recommend them for larger trailers.
Andersen WDH
560 watts solar, roof mounted and portable suitcases
2000 watt PSW Inverter
Old 03-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
Stick with 30 amp extension cords and make sure you have plug adapters in case the hookups don't accept a 30 amp plug. I doubt if you will need a 50 amp to 30 amp. I don't have one. Household extension cords can be used in an emergency but you will need plug adapters. Experience will be your best way to get more knowledge. Enjoy.
The 50amp to 30amp is still a good item to have on hand. On numerous occasions we have opted to use ours as the 30amp receptacle was loose, worn or showing visible signs of arcing. The 50amp outlets are usually in much better condition. For around $15 it's pretty cheap insurance to ensure a safe connection to the power pole.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #14

As far as the antenna, I have an app on my phone (android) called dtv antenna or digital TV antenna. It will come when you search for it. It indicates which way to point the antenna and how many and which stations that you should receive.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #15

I just downloaded that app. It looks excellent. When you are away from the population centers it should work to find the tv signals. I'll find out in a couple of months.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozmo View Post
I just downloaded that app. It looks excellent. When you are away from the population centers it should work to find the tv signals. I'll find out in a couple of months.
Does it work where there is no cell service?
We’ve spent two weeks on our RV on places like that
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #17

Here's my list of "Must Haves"
Level
Water pressure regulator
Water filter
Chocks
Leveling pads
Door mat
Tire gauge
(2) 25' water hoses that can be connected together
(2) 10' sewer hoses that can be connected together
25' TV coax cable
USB power supply for cigar lighter socket
Flashlight
Broom & dustpan
Duct tape
A sense of humor when all else fails

Some might say what about a 30 amp extension cord? I have one but haven't used it in 20 years of camping.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Does it work where there is no cell service?
We’ve spent two weeks on our RV on places like that
Good question. I was able to use it with mediocre cell service without a problem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 03-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #19

During your PDI (Pre delivery inspection) you will be given a starter kit, some of which will be useless. Locate the nearest Walmart and get just the most basic items needed to survive your first trip. Buy stuff as you see a real need or you will end up with a bunch of "must have" crap like I did. I was a newbie last year and have camped 70 nights so far in my first year. Good luck... enjoy the process.
J. Keaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:04 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
The 50amp to 30amp is still a good item to have on hand. On numerous occasions we have opted to use ours as the 30amp receptacle was loose, worn or showing visible signs of arcing. The 50amp outlets are usually in much better condition.
Ditto X2! Once while relaxing in camp I smelled electrical insulation burning. Upon investigating I found my shore power cord quite hot and the cord cap melting with one of the prongs scorched. Needed to replace the cord cap.