Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #1

Outside Handrail

I have a 2015 White Hawk 24RBS and I want to install a larger handrail at the entry door. Has anyone added this by themselves and can give me some pointers, or should I have a dealer do it.

I am looking for a neat install (wife doesn't want any holes showing) that is strong. Is there sufficient support to handle a rail like this? Any guidance is appreciated.
Dennis and Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #2

I put one on my WH. It works great. As for tips. I suggest very short anchors 1/2 to 3/4 inch for total depth into the wall. (I think I used 1" deck screws, and not the cheap ones that came with the handle) The walls are very thin. Wall construction consists of a thin outer shell, a Styrofoam, then the inner plywood. I used a good quality plastic molly. Drilled my holes just through the outer shell and about 1/8" in. Then I mixed a healthy batch of outdoor rated epoxy. with that I filled the holes and then inserted the molly's. Next I filled the molly center with the epoxy. Finally, I hung the handle and tightened the screws down till everything was snug and secure. Be extremely careful not to over tighten. I let it set for 24 hours before use. It has held solid and steady ever since.

DW loves it.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Please heed the "short fasteners" advice. We wanted a "Lend-a- Hand" installed on our brand new trailer when we picked it up. The dealer tech said "No problem" and disappeared into the service bay while we finished paperwork etc. When he returned he said"Well we had a little problem, the screws were too long and we ran them through the inside wall !!" I was NOT happy but we were leaving on a 10 day trip the next day so it is what it is. I now want to have a slide topper installed BUT how can I trust the selling dealer ? I have discussed this situation with the dealership and am waiting to hear from them. NOT a Jayco, which it should have been !! Live and greive I always say !
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote