Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Parked on driveway (uphill)

We just got back from picking up our new DSRL in Middlebury last weekend. Got her sitting in the driveway. My drive is rather steep. I nailed 5 2x8's together. The ball jack is still almost fully extended. I see 5th wheel guys with a tri-pod looking thing under their king pin as a support. Do they make such a thing to go on ball mount on a TT?
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

I have never seen anything like a tripod for a TT. I park my TT on a hill, not quite so steep. I use 3 2x6’s, on top of a piece of plywood, and have the jack fully extended and I almost am level front to back. One time I did not install my wheel chocks when I was in a hurry, and the TT rolled forwards about a foot on me. When I parked there was a little crack in the asphalt pavement (before the plywood base), where I placed the tongue block. It appears in the summer heat the crack gave way a bit and the tongue block (2x6) just rolled forwards and the tongue’s lift tube buried itself about 3” into the pavement. I now place two pieces of plywood under my 2x6’s that distribute my tongue weight over 16”x16” area. No more concerns about softening asphalt. I also park my TT on very large block set under the curb side tires, I have 7” of lift on that side (and I still am not level side to side). Where the tires are located blocks are located you can see where they all have sunk into the pavement about ¼-½” this past summer.

Choke those wheels, and be careful.

Hopefully you do not have an asphalt driveway.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

What about just using a jack stand. You could put it on top of your 2x8's.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00026Z3E0/...SIN=B00026Z3E0

With your stabalizer jacks down, you should be good.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Fifth wheels work in the reverse of a travel trailer. They have a landing gear in place of your front stabilizer jacks that holds the weight of the trailer. The tripod jack is the fifth wheel's stabilizer jack and, just like a travel trailer's front stabilizer jacks, is NOT designed to hold the weight of the trailer.

With five 2 x 8's, That's about 7-1/2 inches. About the only thing I could think of that might help your situation would be a Fastway Flip jack( http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flip/). That would give you up to another six inches on your tongue jack. If your five 2 x 8's allow you to reach the desired height, you'd still need at least one 2 x 8 on the bottom.

I don't have a Fastway Flip (they weren't around when I bought my TT), but I do have an extended foot pad (http://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...essories.shtml) that gives me about another six inches. The extended foot pad slides over the end of the tongue jack about 2 inches. I'm sure it's cheaper than the Fastway Flip but, but not as convenient. You have to slide it on/off and have a place to store it when you're towing- not a big deal in my opinion.

If you decide to buy either of these, ensure it's weight capacity isn't less than your trailer's tongue capacity.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I'll look into some of these.
4x4 6.0l v8
GBandPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know how steep your driveway is, but be sure that you block ALL four tires. When dealing with a TT on an incline...., there are conditions when raising the tongue (extended high) that more weight will be transfered to the rear TT axle than the front (thus don't block just the front TT axle tires).

Also, TT tire locking X-chocks work well for stabilization purposes only, but they will not hold a TT from rolling when on an incline (they will pop out). I always use them along with my tire blocks.

Travel safe and enjoy your new TT

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote