Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-21-2018, 07:56 PM   #1

Picked her up!

She’s in the hole (I’d post a pic, but I still can’t figure it out after reading the sticky’s). 29 hour rocket run to Salt Lake and back. Left my house at 5am, arrived at the dealer at 1pm, and headed back east at 6pm. I tried to use the PDI checklist, but I must admit I wimped out. We found two cuts in the flooring, the booth dinette was chipped, and the microwave wasn’t functioning properly. I did climb up and under with a flashlight and figured it was good enough (where do these guys get their caulking degrees........ugly all the way around).

I was surprised to see how high the Baja sits on this 267BHSW model. I set the Andersen up with the 4” shank as high as possible according to my measurements. I went back in to sign everything and when I walked out she just looked a little nose high to me (two techs told me they like it high?). I dropped it one hole (in the dark under a parking lot light) and finally hit the road. I can’t complain. East out of Salt Lake through the hills went fine. I stopped to check and everything looked good.

If you want to see if your set up is dialed in just drive through Wyoming. The wind in that state is incredible. On the way out I had to keep both hands on the wheel to keep my truck from blowing off the road so I was dreading the pull home. Blowing and gusty all night, but I made it safe and sound. I only know the Andersen No Sway, so I can’t compare it to other WDH’s. I was real happy with the performance, two hands at all times but stable for the most part. 65mph is my max, but I was down to 45mph for a few miles with the big rigs blowing by me in the gusts. The Ecoboost is a beast. There is no doubt it will out pull any gasser and actually compete with the diesel’s going up any hill. The half ton does the job and I feel safe as long as I take it easy, but there is no doubt in my mind if I had your money I would be stepping up to a big boy truck. Can’t wait to get camping!

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:27 PM   #2

Congrats on the new RV. You're always bound to find something during the PDI and more once you've lived in it. What you hope not to find is something major of the trip canceling kind.

Enjoy!

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

Sounds like a fun trip and congrats on the new rig. The techs said they like the nose high? Sounds to me like they were ready to call it a day. Trailer tongue should be level or slightly low, not high.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:02 PM   #4

Yeah, weird. I did the install myself. They were going home for the day and saw me in the parking lot so I guess it was their honest opinion? Who knows.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:50 PM   #5

Congrats!
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:26 AM   #6

Congratulations! Enjoy your new rig!

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #7

It is good to keep speeds to 65mph max, especially with Rainier tires (if that is what you have). Ill bet the fuel economy was good through I80 with the wind at your back! It is winter in CastleRock, so double check winterization and make sure that water heater is drained. Be aware that the radio display and microwave display will slowly drain the battery. Unhook the negative battery terminal to prevent battery discharge.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
It is good to keep speeds to 65mph max, especially with Rainier tires (if that is what you have). Ill bet the fuel economy was good through I80 with the wind at your back! It is winter in CastleRock, so double check winterization and make sure that water heater is drained. Be aware that the radio display and microwave display will slowly drain the battery. Unhook the negative battery terminal to prevent battery discharge.
Thanks for the tips. Riding on Good Years now! Another selling point for the Jayco line.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Sounds like a fun trip and congrats on the new rig. The techs said they like the nose high? Sounds to me like they were ready to call it a day. Trailer tongue should be level or slightly low, not high.
Strongly agree with Crabman.
At least 60% of the load needs to be at the front of the trailer. If too much weight is at the back, it can swing out and you lose control of your vehicle.
Watch this video.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyCO View Post
She’s in the hole (I’d post a pic, but I still can’t figure it out after reading the sticky’s). 29 hour rocket run to Salt Lake and back. Left my house at 5am, arrived at the dealer at 1pm, and headed back east at 6pm. I tried to use the PDI checklist, but I must admit I wimped out. We found two cuts in the flooring, the booth dinette was chipped, and the microwave wasn’t functioning properly. I did climb up and under with a flashlight and figured it was good enough (where do these guys get their caulking degrees........ugly all the way around).

I was surprised to see how high the Baja sits on this 267BHSW model. I set the Andersen up with the 4” shank as high as possible according to my measurements. I went back in to sign everything and when I walked out she just looked a little nose high to me (two techs told me they like it high?). I dropped it one hole (in the dark under a parking lot light) and finally hit the road. I can’t complain. East out of Salt Lake through the hills went fine. I stopped to check and everything looked good.

If you want to see if your set up is dialed in just drive through Wyoming. The wind in that state is incredible. On the way out I had to keep both hands on the wheel to keep my truck from blowing off the road so I was dreading the pull home. Blowing and gusty all night, but I made it safe and sound. I only know the Andersen No Sway, so I can’t compare it to other WDH’s. I was real happy with the performance, two hands at all times but stable for the most part. 65mph is my max, but I was down to 45mph for a few miles with the big rigs blowing by me in the gusts. The Ecoboost is a beast. There is no doubt it will out pull any gasser and actually compete with the diesel’s going up any hill. The half ton does the job and I feel safe as long as I take it easy, but there is no doubt in my mind if I had your money I would be stepping up to a big boy truck. Can’t wait to get camping!
C'Mon man! Pictures....pictures or it didn't happen
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #11

Wife and I toured Wyoming in mid Sept. and just as you said the winds are incredible, we also have the Anderson hitch, and like you it made the
drive manageable. Gas stations in WY. can be few and far between, darn near ran out of gas fighting the high winds.
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #12

Congratulations. Is there any trend of treat on new RV?
JovanKuziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JovanKuziel View Post
Congratulations. Is there any trend of treat on new RV?
Yes, go camping and enjoy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote