Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #1

Picking up x213 tomorrow!

Hello All! I have enjoyed reading all of the helpful tips and advice on this board. We are brand new to TTs, so we have learned a lot already, with a lot more to learn, I am sure! So, thank you in advance.

After months of research and shopping, we are picking up a new x213 tomorrow and are very excited. I just have a couple of questions, that I haven't been able to find answers for yet...

On the beds, specifically the King slide in the x213, do the majority of you put memory foam toppers on top of the 'mattress', or sleep on it as is? If so, what thickness works best, 2" or 3"? My husband is concerned about the weight these dense pads might add, but I want comfort! And for bedding, the size of this King seems to be odd, not the same size as 'RV King'. So, what are you using? Do you use regular sheets and make them work, or do I need to invest in a custom sized sheet set?

We are looking forward to a great summer, building lots of fun family memories in our new TT. Happy first day of Spring!

Thank you!
williska33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:20 PM   #2

First congratulations on your new TT. As for mattress topper, it is really a personal thing. Ours has a layer of memory foam built right into the mattress. I find it a bit hard, when I first lay on it, but It is probably the best sleep I get all year. Is it because we are camping or do I find it that comfortable?? I also find our mattress quite cold, so I place a fleece blanket on top of the mattress before making the bed. Personally I would sleep on it a few times before deciding.

Bes of luck, and happy travels

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #3

Mine is due at the dealer next week - picking it up in April !!!! I can't wait either.

As to the bed, a memory foam topper is definitely a must have for us. I'm interested to hear what thickness works as well, though I will say I'm going for the higher density 4 pound variety.
s1njin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM   #4

Congrats, you'll love it! I can't wait to get mine it up to camp.

We put a 3" topper on it, had to cut one side as the size is not standard but it was easy...

If I had to do it again i'd probable replace the cheesy foam with a 6" foam mattress. but the topper is just fine. must be the fresh air!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM   #5

Congrats you will love it. we sure like ours the fold up bunk is nice .We bought some of the white stackable drawers that fit under the bed for when we travel and stack them in bunk area gives us tons of storage.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

We sold the standard mattress on craigslist and replaced it with an original model Tempurpedic. We are not lucky enough to have a King Size, ours is a Queen. The standard Queen mattress is larger than the RV Queen, but the memory foam squeezed enough to fit in the space. I love it.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #7

Congrats and may you enjoy many many nights in your new baby!!
Jrmay25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #8

Thank you all! Riverbum, I see we are neighbors, maybe we'll catch you out and about! What about the sheets, do you make regular sheets work, have special sized ones, or...?
williska33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 PM   #9

Congrats on your new TT...you are going to love it..we have had ours for 2 years now and we bought king size bedding with a fitted sheet....however i am going to add a 2" mattress topper, I find ours a little uncomfortable and that addition 2" will make work of difference. We plan on doing the Oregon Coast eventually. If you are ever in our neck of the woods...we have some great provincial parks, 2 of them have hydro hook ups
Old 03-21-2014, 04:21 AM   #10

Congratulations on the new TT and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 06:06 AM   #11

Congrats on the X213 purchase. We were avid tent campers in the 50s and 60s in the high country around Arizona back then. Our love was taking our trusty old jeep pulling a util trailer full of our camping tent and supplies usually running with other Jeep guys.

Photo from google search

In 2008 finally got into the OFF-ROAD POPUP world and still having fun pulling this with our F150 truck all over the East Coast, Golf States, and as far West as OKLA and TEXAS. Our love here is the Natl Forest areas camping off the power grids.

Camp Doris - Wichita Mtns Widldlife Refuge, Medicine Park, OKLA

We really was wanting to get something with hard sides that I could pull with the F150 truck and the X213 fit that bill just fine. Did alot of research and almost got one haha... My pick was 2010 models as the prior earlier models did have some issues with the large and heavy rear bed slide. Reports of leaks with the large seal was one issue and a even bigger issue was with the large bed slide not maintaining level creating torn couch and dinette cushions when closing up. All of those issues were cleared up with the 2010 model. They also had weak slide motors on the older models.

The 2010 models was the first with the side windows on the large bed slide.

Photo Google Search

There is only the two of us with maybe an occasional grandkid on the trips. With this in mind was seriously thinking of re-doing the bunk area and making that room into a smaller storage just inside the bicycle door and the rest of the area into an office/computer/ham radio setup with a L-SHAPED Desk with hutch. Plenty of room there for printer and DUAL computer screens including all of my Ham Radio items using the hutch side. The 12-inch deep long raised area along the front wall would be used for all of my beefup items for converters/charger/controllers etc supporting larger batteries mounted on the trailer frames.

My mods for this bunk room area would look something like this floorplan drawing shown in BLUE.

In the end we are still running the roads with our OFF-ROAD POPUP but the X213 was my pick of the mid sized Trailers...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote