Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #1

Power issue this past trip (Converter maybe)

OK, we just finished our second trip of the season this past weekend. we get to the campground, plug in power, and get ready to put bed and awning out. DW pushes the bed switch, the bed goes out, and right before the final few inches, the battery dies!?!?!?... Run to auto parts store to get new battery, then back to campground to start my weekend... yea, I wish... After hooking the battery up, the correct way, we finish opening up the camper and the awning. Then DW plugs in a lamp, and nothing...... back to town to get a new GFCI plug.... Back to campground.... put in new GFCI, STILL NOTHING. I gave up.... We used a battery charger for the rest of the weekend, to keep my new battery from shooting craps.
My next step is replacing the power converter, for the second time since we bought this.

HELP , am I overlooking something???

Any and all help is appreciated.
bigdaddy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:26 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you plugged into shore power or dry-camping?

What is the battery voltage?

Was your battery fully charged before the bed issue?

When you indicated you hooked the battery up correctly did you reverse the wires originally?
If so there is a set of fuses in the main controller that protect the controller in case someone wires the battery in the wrong way.

Also, there is either a 30Amp main fuse or circuit breaker by the battery, check that.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter to use to check the fuses and battery voltage?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Are you plugged into shore power or dry-camping?

What is the battery voltage?

Was your battery fully charged before the bed issue?

When you indicated you hooked the battery up correctly did you reverse the wires originally?
If so there is a set of fuses in the main controller that protect the controller in case someone wires the battery in the wrong way.

Also, there is either a 30Amp main fuse or circuit breaker by the battery, check that.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter to use to check the fuses and battery voltage?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Don't know the voltage before the bed, but the camper was plugged in for about a week, before we left.

I put the part about the battery because I know someone would ask that. Was hooked up correctly the first time.

Didn't look at the fuse by the battery... need to look at that when I get home.

thank You very much.
Old 05-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #4

So 12V is fine, but no 110? The fuse at the battery is going to be fine if you were able to move the slide. It is not likely that your converter is bad, it runs off of 110V and that appears to be what is the problem.

With 110 down, the problem is usually supply (post) or a panel breaker.

Where were you running the battery charger from? The post, or your TV? If the post, from the same outlet you tried plugging your TT into? Were the breakers in the post tripped?

Now that you are home, do you get power by hooking up to your home shore power? This would prove/eliminate a problem with the post.

No power plugged in at home? Check for mains power at the panel (use a multimeter, and use caution). Next check the 110 mains breaker output, if it appears okay, but no power in the rest of the panel, replace that breaker. If there is power after the mains, check individual circuits to see which are working or not. Since your converter was also not generating 12v though, I suspect it will be before or at the mains breaker.

It's actually pretty simple to diagnose these. Start at the power source, and keep checking voltages further upstream until the voltage disappears. The break is between where you last got a reading, and where you are now.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 AM   #5

UPDATE!!!!!! SHE'S AAALLLLIIIIVVVEEEE!!!! We finally have life back in our rig.. I ended up replacing two of the three breakers, 30/15 amp (Main and receptacles) and the one next to it, 20/15 amp ( Converter and Utility). I also put back the original GFCI, that I replaced Friday, and low and behold, everything works again... Thank you everyone for the guidance to help me eliminate and find the problem... This forum is the BEST!!!