Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-07-2017, 04:58 PM   #1

Propane bottle mount, Jayfeather 19XUD (Whine warning)

So, we bought our 19XUD in the spring and we live in Florida. We hardly ever cook inside, unless the weather's bad, and the fridge usually runs on shore power.
As a result, we're still running on the original bottle of propane, which came with it.
But now, we're planning our Fall trip to the mountains, so I decided to make sure we had a full bottle, since we're going to be running the furnace in the cooler nights.

...and I got my first look at how the bottle is attached.
It's bolted on. Underneath. Two bolts, hidden away inside the angle of the cross flanges on the tongue, and through holes in the bottom "rim" of the gas bottle.

To get the bottle off, I had to lie under the tongue with a wrench, my fingers jammed up under the bottle.

To get the new one on, I had to do the some manouevre, but twisting and turning the bottle, to line up the holes. Then squeeze the bolts between the bottle and the flange (not enough space to get a long socket in there...), while holding the bottle up to give you enough room to get your fingers in.. and, occasionally dropping it on said fingers.

I would really like a word with the jackanapes who "designed" this. Actually I'd like to drop a gas bottle on his fingers, like I did to myself.

Fortunately, I discovered this whole mess on a nice Saturday afternoon in the driveway, and not in the rain, in the middle of a muddy field at three in the morning...

My early-Christmas list is going to include a much better mount - probably a twin, but definitely secured from the top.

Ian. the sore-knuckled man from Scotland
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:36 AM   #2

Usually the people who design things NEVER use what they design, or at least never do normal maintanence/mods to things.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #3

What genius designed that setup? Good luck with your tank improvement mounts!

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 PM   #4

I installed this tank mount on our 18 SRB: Stromberg Carlson (2020JR) 20 lb. Gas Bottle Rack. I bought it off Amazon. I had the same horrible tank mount setup that you have. What a JOKE! Hope this helps!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote