Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
Were they more expensive than the $30 I paid?
I recall $34.

samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
I had a problem with my 30lb LP tank rocking back and forth when secured with only the 2 bolts and nuts that came with our 145RB TT. Using only these bolts and nuts to secure the tank also distorts the tank "foot" or ring welded to the bottom for the LP tank causing addition wobble issues. I purchased 2 of the J hooks designed for the 30 lb LP tanks. I drilled 2 holes in the tank support angle iron that is welded to the front of the TT, and I needed to turn the tank valve orifice so that it faces the front of the TT in order to get correct equal tension on the J hook bolts. Prior to installing the j-bolts, I had also moved the break away brake switch to the outside of the hitch frame because of the LP tank's potential to rock into this switch.
Yes, in fact there is no way the two bolt mount thing could possibly be sound unless you add lots of washers, because the ring on the bottom of the propane bottle does not match the frame cross-member spacing.

samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I recall $34.
Yep pretty much what I paid. I have to apologize, I feel a little silly. I should have offered to sell you mine. I would have taken a loss but then u could have saved some money.
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Just ran from Phoenix, AZ to Corpus Christi, TX with ratchet straps on my propane tank. No problem. Although I have not yet tried to loosen the straps to refill tank.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #15

AOK with ratchet straps. I was able to loosen to fill tank and have since returned to Phoenix with no issues.
muelldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #16

Thanks to everyone for the information. I just purchased a pre-owned x117z with the single 30lb tank bolted through the bottom. This is our first TT or RV of any kind. The mounting appeared to be a real pain when it came to removing the tank for refilling. One practice run convinced me of that.
As a remedy I have decided to convert to 2 20lb tanks with a mount from Manchester (stock #1801) and two Worthington 303955 20-Pound Steel Propane Cylinder With Type 1 With Overflow Prevention Device Valve. I also ordered a Camco 40523 RV Heavy-Duty 20lb Propane Tank Cover. Any comments would be appreciated.

I'm also looking at the Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill which is supposed to be able to hang on the side of the TT using the already installed rail. I would appreciate feedback from anyone on this unit.

Thanks
Harry
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #17

Maybe you have already made the necessary measurements for your planned tank changes.
But you did ask for comments...
Do you use a weight distribution hitch system?
Do you have enough room for the double tank mounting arrangement?
Sometimes the brackets used for the bar chains on the WD hitch set-up get in the way of a double tank outfit.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:12 AM   #18

Ranchosinvacas,

Thanks for the comment. The TT did come with a weight distribution hitch which we will use......so I will make sure to measure twice. As far as the room I have looked at the new 2014 units, many of which come with dual 20 pounders so as long as the mounting tray fits I assume the tanks will fit. I'll let you know.
Ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #19

Hi,
I looked at the J-hook solution and then decided to go another direction. I exchanged the hold down bolts for 5/16-18 2 inch hex bots and used a 3/8 x 1/2 x 1 bronze bearing sleeve under the tank. This brings the bolt head out enough so you do not have to fight the small area between the tank and bracket and can easily put a wrench on the under the tank head while tightening the bolt at the open end. This makes it much easier to take the tank on and off the frame.

Chuckinlaguna is offline   Reply With Quote