Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
propane tank hold down

Hi,

I wondered what other users have done to improve the propane tank holddowns on the jayco light trailers. My TT (185RB) only has one propane tank. I don't want to have to take the entire TT down to the fill station, so I take it out of the tounge. Mine was put on with simple bolts. Removing both of them involves going under the tounge and using tools. Its mind-numbingly stupid.

Looking on line, it seems that all the tank hold down solutions involve double tank holddowns. I don't have the room or the desire to add another tank. One tank has been doing fine.

What have others done to improve this?

Thanks,

Scott
__________________

samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
amabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 406
Yeah, it's not the best method, our 1207 popup was like that. I can't find the exact one we used but it was similar to this: http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carl...d_sim_sbs_lg_3
__________________

__________________
2013 Starcraft Travel Star 229TB
2011 Jayco X17Z(traded in)
2010 Jayco Jay Series 1207(traded for the 17Z)
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Z71 CC 6.0L/3.73
ITBC
Reese "Pro Series" 800lb Trunnion WDH w/sway control
amabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Doug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 4,761
I replaced the nuts with lock washers and wing nuts.
Some improvement since I don't have to have tools now, but still not my final fix.
Some people have just used ratchet straps. I may go this route.
Just run them through the hand holes of the tank and around the bottom bracket.
Should be much easier to release the tension and remove the tank.

The only other thing I thought was to install the double bracket which is not an option for you.

Doug
__________________

Southwest, Ohio
2016 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2017 Jayco 24RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
3firetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 549
Before I went to two tanks, I picked up a set of coleman jhooks on ebay. Seemed to hold the tank very secure. Though to remove it I still had to reach underneath to take off the wing nuts. Adding the double bracket has made removing the tanks a breeze. I use a propane fire pit, so i wanted to remove the tanks with ease.
__________________
2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport Ultra Lite 197
2005 Dodge Durango V8
TANSTAAFL
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougtoms01 View Post
I replaced the nuts with lock washers and wing nuts.
Some improvement since I don't have to have tools now, but still not my final fix.
Some people have just used ratchet straps. I may go this route.
Just run them through the hand holes of the tank and around the bottom bracket.
Should be much easier to release the tension and remove the tank.

The only other thing I thought was to install the double bracket which is not an option for you.

Doug
I think you just won best kludge of the day, thanks.

I'm going to use that tonight. I put the bottle back after filling it, but the two bolt thing is just awful. The tank rocks back and forth, and I really wonder if it is getting banged around during transport. The problem is that the bolts, when tightened, actually lift the tank a bit and allow it to rock. Your ratchet strap idea will fix that.

I don't know who did this mount, Jayco or the dealer, but it is just stupid and dangerous.
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
Before I went to two tanks, I picked up a set of coleman jhooks on ebay. Seemed to hold the tank very secure. Though to remove it I still had to reach underneath to take off the wing nuts. Adding the double bracket has made removing the tanks a breeze. I use a propane fire pit, so i wanted to remove the tanks with ease.
I saw this here:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=978

I'm strongly attracted to that as a permanent solution. I also saw another gentleman who complained that the bolts were too long for his tank. I take it that this was not the case for you?
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
3firetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam95124 View Post
I saw this here:

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...roducts_id=978

I'm strongly attracted to that as a permanent solution. I also saw another gentleman who complained that the bolts were too long for his tank. I take it that this was not the case for you?
That is the exact set up I was mentioning. They come in different sizes. The 2 sizes I found...one size for 30lb and different size for my 20lb tanks. They still have wing nuts on the bottom, but the tank is held very securely with no movement. I paid $30. I don't know if that was bad or good?
__________________
2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport Ultra Lite 197
2005 Dodge Durango V8
TANSTAAFL
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 27
I ordered the J-hooks. They are expensive. I'll post here if they work.
samiam95124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
3firetrucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3firetrucks View Post
That is the exact set up I was mentioning. They come in different sizes. The 2 sizes I found...one size for 30lb and different size for my 20lb tanks. They still have wing nuts on the bottom, but the tank is held very securely with no movement. I paid $30. I don't know if that was bad or good?
Were they more expensive than the $30 I paid?
__________________
2008 Jayco Jay Feather Sport Ultra Lite 197
2005 Dodge Durango V8
TANSTAAFL
3firetrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tucson
Posts: 74
I had a problem with my 30lb LP tank rocking back and forth when secured with only the 2 bolts and nuts that came with our 145RB TT. Using only these bolts and nuts to secure the tank also distorts the tank "foot" or ring welded to the bottom for the LP tank causing addition wobble issues. I purchased 2 of the J hooks designed for the 30 lb LP tanks. I drilled 2 holes in the tank support angle iron that is welded to the front of the TT, and I needed to turn the tank valve orifice so that it faces the front of the TT in order to get correct equal tension on the J hook bolts. Prior to installing the j-bolts, I had also moved the break away brake switch to the outside of the hitch frame because of the LP tank's potential to rock into this switch.
__________________

ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.