Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 PM   #1

protecting my hot water heater on tank water

I know the hot water heater must have water in it before turning it on. When I am running on tank water and pump how do I make sure my hot water heater does not go dry and damage the element as I run out of water?

Eaglechief_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #2

I don't know of any trick to it. Just have to be careful to watch your water tank level and shut the water heater off when low / out. Easy to forget. But as far as I know there is no safety to prevent you from running it out and burning it up if you leave it on.

newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Team

protecting my hot water heater on tank water

The pump supplies cold water pressure. When you hear the pump running, the fresh water is gone. The hw tank however is still full.
No damage. Just turn it off until you get more fresh water input.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:56 AM   #4

The pump will lose suction and water will quit flowing out the tap before you can empty the tank.

We've found that our water heater will stay hot over night so we turn it on long enough to heat the water and then turn it off. If we need more hot water we turn it back on and in just a few minutes we have hot water again.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
The pump will lose suction and water will quit flowing out the tap before you can empty the tank.

We've found that our water heater will stay hot over night so we turn it on long enough to heat the water and then turn it off. If we need more hot water we turn it back on and in just a few minutes we have hot water again.
Thank you for that information. So the pump will not draw the water down below the element? Is emptying water past the element only possible when you manually drain, by using the plug?

That is a good point about turning it off overnight. How about adjusting the temperatur on the heater; I haven't figured out where or if the temp can be adjusted. It is too hot for kids.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

I never knew that. Good to know if I am understanding correctly that the water heater would have some left over water in it when the fresh tank is empty. I always assumed running the hot water out would draw the water heater content too low and potentially damage it if left on.
newbold1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #7

That is my thought also. I would like to know for sure that the elements are protected so that you only expose them when you manually drain the tank.

Regarding draining the hot water tank, do you drain it after each outing or only if you are not going to use it for a couple weeks?
Old 05-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

If you have doubts, experiment.
Leave the element off, run the pump dry of onboard water. Then pull the water plug and watch 6 or 10 gallons drain out.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Old 05-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

I may be wrong. But if you were to drain out your fresh water tank. Then if, for some reason you ran the hot water only out of the tap. Wouldn't this drain the hot water tank?
vboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #10
Site Team

Not without water pressure.

Turn the city water off at your house. Do you drain the water heater by turning a tap on? Same principle. The pressure is what delivers the hot water.