Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-02-2018, 10:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
01Tundra, you are the first to reply with a Hummingbird, after owning it for a bit, do you still think that the extra initial investment was worth it?

Also, have you taken your 17RK on to dirt/gravels, I assume (since it is a Baja) it is more than enough to handle a few bumpy roads. With the higher ground clearance on the Baja editions, does it affect how the trailer get towed on paved highways at speed?
We still love our HB, have no desire for anything different after two years now.

Our road and driveway are pretty rough dirt/gravel and it does fine on that. I wouldn't want to twist it up too bad on a heavily rutted trail, but that goes for any of them including ones specifically made for off-road. I've seen how bad a long wheelbase truck can twist first hand, no way I'd want my TT experiencing those kind of forces.

But for mild trail I thin it will go anywhere your TV will.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:11 PM   #22

Thanks for all the input, going back to the Jayco dealerships on my day off (Thursday I think) to kick some more tires (literally, I want to see what tires each trailer has). One of the dealers called and told me that someone is trading in a 2017 Hummingbird 16MRB (not sure if it is a Baja or not) which has a Murphy bed and dry bath. I have not seen a 16MRB in person yet, no idea if I would like it or not. The sad part is that they are asking the same price for a used 2017 Hummingbird 16MRB as a brand new 2018 195RB!
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks for all the input, going back to the Jayco dealerships on my day off (Thursday I think) to kick some more tires (literally, I want to see what tires each trailer has). One of the dealers called and told me that someone is trading in a 2017 Hummingbird 16MRB (not sure if it is a Baja or not) which has a Murphy bed and dry bath. I have not seen a 16MRB in person yet, no idea if I would like it or not. The sad part is that they are asking the same price for a used 2017 Hummingbird 16MRB as a brand new 2018 195RB!
The new 16MRB is pretty cool if it fits your needs.

Ours came with generic all-terrain tires which I swapped out with Maxxis M8008's. The new HB Baja's come with Goodyear all-terrain tires that I'm considering using next time around.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #24

Hummingbird owner response

As a starter, we own a 2018 Hummingbird 17FD. The Hummingbird you are looking at has more open floor space due to the kitchen layout, more kitchen storage and it has a dry bath with the bath in the rear. The dry bath will be nice if you boondock for longer periods vs the wetbath in ours. If I were to do it over again I would be prone to buying the Jayco SLX7 195RB just because of the squeeze around bed and the dry bath. We chose the FD because we take the grandkids with on occasion and the dinette gives them a place to sleep. We like our Hummingbird but there are disadvantages like lack of a closet and very little storage space. Drawer space is limited to one large drawer under the fridge besides from the kitchen drawers. Cargo capacity is also lite. We travel lite but it could be an issue if you are dragging a bunch of stuff for a long stay. If you are going "off road" I would get the Baja Package. The tires are larger (15") and ground clearance is 5" per Jayco and has 2 entry steps. If I'm not careful I scrape coming out of the driveway onto the street. Our Tires are American made Goodyear 205 75R14 for comparison purposes. What the Hummingbird does have is a one piece fiberglass roof from rear bumper to A frame. This is our 50th + year of camping and the rubber roofs of the past sold me on the fiberglass roof, just my opinion for what it's worth. Whatever you get I ope you have a good time and enjoy yourself. Hapy camping. Jack
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #25

Have a perfect x17z

We have a better than new 2015 X17Z that’s put us on many 20” to 30” trout in hard to get too places.. north Georgia mountains and north New Mexico mostly. We’re letting her go to help fund our cabin build on our “secret spot” ... if anyone’s interested let us know. If you love fly fishing get in touch... we’ve found some amazing native fish and happy to share info.

Pics attached.

Best offer gets her... all options included with some upgrades and sway hitch/bars for the nervous... wireless brake controller... we tow with a 4x4 old Tahoe with 190k miles so don’t use them... weighs only 3000 lbs

Alvinski@mac.com
Attached Thumbnails
FFDB9906-8A5B-4DE9-ACFB-432633DB0F1E.jpg   D3561F59-B6CD-4179-9E8F-ED173810CEE5.jpg   B311F8E5-647A-4A57-BE27-E99B3CB6DCE0.jpg   8A6420C9-9CBF-4291-9060-501236C9C0BE.jpg   347A4B05-82AB-46B9-8C68-3081FCE782FE.jpg  

Alvinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:50 AM   #26

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving

Thanks for all of the advice so far, just an update. Did a final walktrough with the MRS. and I was wrong about which floorplan she likes most, she decided on the Hummingbird 17FD where as I like the SLX7 195RB. She likes the slightly better build qualify of the Hummingbird, she likes the FD design "just in case" grandkids come visit, she does not mind the wet bath. In fact, I was surprised that she chose the 17FD over the 17RB, well over 3 decades together, I am still guessing wrong. I am more or less in the mind set of grandkids can tent it, give me my big dry bath, lol. For some mysterious reason, I think the MRS will win the argument and I will be placing an offer on the 2018 Hummingbird 17FB Baja.

All of the Baja models have Goodyear tires on them and the sales people assured me that they can handle the forestry roads around here no problem.

This is a picture of a gentleman fishing at one of my favorite river just steps away from one of my favorite Alberta Forestry Trunk Road campground, we get mainly smaller (12 in.) cutthroats and rainbows in the carea, mostly catch and release. I suspect it is very different fishing south in Georgia.

https://goo.gl/maps/u36aafhgWip
Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Tow vehicle is a 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4, looking for something narrower for use when fishing near the mountains, usually boondocking on public land near rivers/streams and have to travel over some forestry roads to get there. Generally they are decent unimproved gravel roads but can run into a bad section or two if the winter was bad or too much rain. My fishing buddy is running with an old R-Pod right now and have gotten stuck only once but got out eventually with his Durango and a bit of human pushing. The longest we have stayed is about 6 days, so tank capacities may be an issue.

I like the Jayco 2 year warranty and want to take advantage of the fall clearance sale going on right now. Prices seem good as compared to spring and summer. Only need room for two but need a dry bath, only way to get my sig.other to come with me. Fishing season is usually May through August here.

The floorplan I like the most is the Jayco SLX7 195RB, the dealers a few 2018 ones priced quite aggressively, including one with the baja package. The look I like the most is the Hummingbird 17RB, the dealers have a 2017 one priced decently BUT the 2017 hummingbird is still thousands more than the 2018 SLX7. Quite amazed at how much dealers still want for 2017 Hummingbirds.

My question is, for what I use my trailer for: 1) do I need the baja package? 2) is the Hummingbird worth the extra money?

I like walkaround bed in the 195RB or I like having blacktankflush on the Hummingbirds, but to me those are little things. I am most concerned about structurally, would either trailer survive extensive travelling on gravel roads? If not, I may have to go look elsewhere for something hardier.
hi Jayco fans. Thinking of upgrading from the 145rb up to a hummingbird 17rk. Wondering what others have experienced with the hummingbird ..what's the pros and cons? There's just two of us and one dog so we are comfortable with that space. Only owned the 145 for a year, so we don't have a long-term experience with Jayco and are looking for information about their durability
thanks
LadyLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 AM   #28

Did you get anything? I have a 175RD with the Baja package I will be fishing this weekend in South Park it will be my coldest use yet. If you stop fishing in August you are missing some good fishing. I have been down to the upper twenty in this one but not the mid to lower teens so I will let you know what I think on Sunday. My TV is a 2014 Tacoma. I only use heat and batteries, but I do have a generator if needed. It is just me and the dog so I don’t get the help of having the wife in the bed for heat. I use a air bed to sleep on the beds are the number one complaint in most TT.
CoCanCarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:13 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoCanCarv View Post
Did you get anything? I have a 175RD with the Baja package I will be fishing this weekend in South Park it will be my coldest use yet. If you stop fishing in August you are missing some good fishing. I have been down to the upper twenty in this one but not the mid to lower teens so I will let you know what I think on Sunday. My TV is a 2014 Tacoma. I only use heat and batteries, but I do have a generator if needed. It is just me and the dog so I don’t get the help of having the wife in the bed for heat. I use a air bed to sleep on the beds are the number one complaint in most TT.
Ended up pulling the trigger on a SLX7 195RB, convinced the MRS that we are passed the age of climbing over each other to get to the bathroom. It is not a Baja (someone else beat us to the last 2018 Baja) but the dealer give me a really good price and upgraded the rim/tires.

Unfortunately, winter came too early in Alberta this year, we got two huge dump of snow back in September which took out a huge chunk of the fishing season. Once the weather turns, we tend to stick to easy-to-get-to spots as the roads can be a little tricky.

I am not picking up the rig until April, all dealerships up here will store for you over the winter. So I have time to decide on two things subject to some advice for everyone here. One has to do with adding a black tank flush and another has to do with weight distribution hitch and sway control.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #30

QUOTE So I have time to decide on two things subject to some advice for everyone here. One has to do with adding a black tank flush and another has to do with weight distribution hitch and sway control.[/QUOTE]

My personal suggest on WDH and sway control is the Andersen Hitch. It has worked great for our 195RB on several long trips, easy on/off, light weight and integral sway control that really works!!

re Black Tank Flush-- I bought and used a spray wand. You can see straight down into the bottom of the tank with a flashlight so for me it is the better way to go. I will also have the spouse go in and do a long flush and I do a second dump of the black.

If you would like a wish list for other things for your 195RB I could list all I have so far.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #31

we have a spray wand too

As far as a WDH we do not have one. However we still have the old Sway Command because it works on our tow vehicle. No longer offered I believe because it did not interact properly with tow vehicles that had factory installed brake controllers
Have not needed a WDH and we have had to tow in the snow

your tow vehicle may have a different weight configuration between front and rear axles

You always want to have enough weight on the front to maintain control on all surfaces and conditions.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
If you would like a wish list for other things for your 195RB I could list all I have so far.
Yes please!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 PM   #33

I won't remember all at one time but here are some of the basics to start I don't know how much you have RV camped so you may have some of these items already

Andersen leveler for wheels
30 amp to 120 volt adapter
90 degree water hose attachment
Old piece of water hose about a foot long to fill fresh water tank
bright colored tape on the power cable to remind you when to stop pulling
battery disconnect switch
hinges for the opening for the water heater( way to much trouble to take off with screws every time.)
more padding for the seats (made by spouse)
door like one over table installed under seat by door
shelf added to pantry to put silverware tray(s)
shelves in cabinets over bed sides
foam rubber under pump and extended piping to prevent noise & vibration
inside refrigerator 12 volt fan for better cooling flow
drill operated chuck to raise and lower stab jacks
power tongue jack (really nice with Andersen hitch operation !!!!!)
battery/electronic furnace control
electric heater with digital controls to keep temp more level
12 volt vent fan for bath
vent covers for both vents
Zinus 10 memory foam mattress to replaceJayco's newspaper stuffed one
bed lifter shocks, replace screws with bolts, reinforce that area
reinforce bed with 2x2s if (when) it sags or prevention
Water pressure reducer for hose
foil faced duct bubble wrap to put on windows to prevent heat & fading
400 watt electric water heater mounted through drain hole

First Aid Kit!

If you need pics or links, more info just PM me or ask here

Old 10-21-2018, 06:09 PM   #34

Front stabilizers. We made ours for three bucks.

Its entirely possible to not have to have some of the above.. We dont have a power jack and are entirely happy after 70 K miles on the unit

Totally agree on the bed an wardrobe cabinets. Shelving makes a huge difference.. And we want to add a pull out drawer to the wardrobe . The compartment on the floor swallows shoes.

Command hooks for broom etc is a good idea and a small handheld vac. Amazing how much dirt gets in odd spaces.

We added bed lifters.

Odd lengths of lumber about a foot long are always handy in mud season.. A mat of course. We have a rubber one that rolls up.. Again to keep the dirt outside.. We lay an astroturf mat on it and remember to wipe feet.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 10-25-2018, 09:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
foam rubber under pump and extended piping to prevent noise & vibration
foil faced duct bubble wrap to put on windows to prevent heat & fading
400 watt electric water heater mounted through drain hole
Roger, thank you very much for the awesome, of the items I removed from the quote above, I either have it already or fully understand what needs to be done.

These last three, I am not sure of:
1. can you post a pic or two for the foam rubber you use for pump etc.
2. I assume the foil is used as better version of the blinds in hot sunny weathers
3. Dont understand the water heater comment at all, did you dump the factory one and put a better one in?

And yes to Kim, need to get two front stabilizers.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #36

I used some foam I got from a computer parts shipment and some 18 inch threaded toilet or sink water supply tubing with reinforcement like this,
Fluidmaster 3/8-in Compression 12-in Braided Stainless Steel Toilet Supply Line

The foil faced bubble wrap insulation is like this from Menards, Reflectix R-4.2 Duct Wrap Insulation 12" x 25'

The water heater kit I installed adds a 400 watt electric element to a gas only 6 gallon standard water heater, I bought this one on Amazon
Camco Hot Water Hybrid Heat Kit - Easily Converts Any 6-Gallon RV LP Gas Water Heater to 120V Electricity to Conserve Propane (11673)

Old 11-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #37

Baja Bird 17FD here...

Quote:
Ended up pulling the trigger on a SLX7 195RB, convinced the MRS that we are passed the age of climbing over each other to get to the bathroom. It is not a Baja (someone else beat us to the last 2018 Baja) but the dealer give me a really good price and upgraded the rim/tires.

Unfortunately, winter came too early in Alberta this year, we got two huge dump of snow back in September which took out a huge chunk of the fishing season. Once the weather turns, we tend to stick to easy-to-get-to spots as the roads can be a little tricky.

I am not picking up the rig until April, all dealerships up here will store for you over the winter. So I have time to decide on two things subject to some advice for everyone here. One has to do with adding a black tank flush and another has to do with weight distribution hitch and sway control.
Sorry to be late to the party Oldtimer. I'm a 17FD Baja owner because we like the space up front for friends who join us for dinner, cards, etc., and it does make a nice extra bed. Oh, and I take it on some fairly narrow, gnarly jeep roads on occasion with no trouble. Love the clearance (with Maxxis tires) That said, climbing over one another to get into bed vs walk around mattress can be a game changer. Either way, enjoy your new TT!
Old 11-26-2018, 07:02 PM   #38

Quote:
Roger, thank you very much for the awesome, of the items I removed from the quote above, I either have it already or fully understand what needs to be done.

These last three, I am not sure of:
1. can you post a pic or two for the foam rubber you use for pump etc.
2. I assume the foil is used as better version of the blinds in hot sunny weathers
3. Dont understand the water heater comment at all, did you dump the factory one and put a better one in?

And yes to Kim, need to get two front stabilizers.
Make them We did ours. Its easier with the unit on your property though

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ers-37539.html

The lumber was here anyway.. The ratchet strap three bucks.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 06-17-2020, 06:44 AM   #39

Wow! Those are some pretty Rainbows.
R2unit is offline   Reply With Quote