Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #1

Question for new lite trailer for fishing (SLX7 vs. Hummingbird)

Tow vehicle is a 2016 Toyota Tacoma 4X4, looking for something narrower for use when fishing near the mountains, usually boondocking on public land near rivers/streams and have to travel over some forestry roads to get there. Generally they are decent unimproved gravel roads but can run into a bad section or two if the winter was bad or too much rain. My fishing buddy is running with an old R-Pod right now and have gotten stuck only once but got out eventually with his Durango and a bit of human pushing. The longest we have stayed is about 6 days, so tank capacities may be an issue.

I like the Jayco 2 year warranty and want to take advantage of the fall clearance sale going on right now. Prices seem good as compared to spring and summer. Only need room for two but need a dry bath, only way to get my sig.other to come with me. Fishing season is usually May through August here.

The floorplan I like the most is the Jayco SLX7 195RB, the dealers a few 2018 ones priced quite aggressively, including one with the baja package. The look I like the most is the Hummingbird 17RB, the dealers have a 2017 one priced decently BUT the 2017 hummingbird is still thousands more than the 2018 SLX7. Quite amazed at how much dealers still want for 2017 Hummingbirds.

My question is, for what I use my trailer for: 1) do I need the baja package? 2) is the Hummingbird worth the extra money?

I like walkaround bed in the 195RB or I like having blacktankflush on the Hummingbirds, but to me those are little things. I am most concerned about structurally, would either trailer survive extensive travelling on gravel roads? If not, I may have to go look elsewhere for something hardier.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum and happy trailer shopping.

I'm sure you'll hear from folks that own them.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:20 AM   #3

for severe road conditions I would suggest the Baja model 195rb. It has more ground clearance and bigger tanks. I love the layout of mine but don't go off road much even though I could since I tow with a jeep so I have the standard edition.

Note that you will need solar, more batteries or a generator for 6 days if you use the furnace much or have any other big power uses such as TV, microwave, etc.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

I like the storage of the 195. Ours is a non Baja edition and its been on a lot of dirt roads.. Its a 2016 with 55,000 miles. A couple of thousand of that in Alaska and the Yukon on dirt and gravel roads and many more miles logging roads here in Maine.

The ground clearance is the biggest issue so sometimes as in Chaco Canyon we have to go very slowly and pick around rocks. Higher would help as the Baja is.

I have been pleased with our little rolling earthquake in that it has not shaken itself apart. Nothing has fallen off and doors still close square.

I like the storage for clothing that the Hummingbird seems to lack( I have no experience with it but from looking at the floorplan) Raincoats can hang in the closet.

We can go four days dry camping before the battery dies.. We have a single battery.. We have taken our Honda 2000i genny with us.. Solar is not for us as we mostly camp in deep forest. However I don't think power is your biggest challenge.. We have had the battery die with the awning out.. Hitching the TT to the truck was all we had to do to power the battery to retract the awning.. We have a set of Luci Lights that provide lots of ambient reading light for inside at night if needed.

Your biggest challenge will be waste disposal.. As we often take regular backcountry camping with us, I throw in a couple of Wag Bags just in case we are somewhere where the black tank might fill.

the other logistical thing is the 195 is really short on being able to tote cargo because it has load capacities that are difficult. Yet the storage is huge and tempting.

If you carry an extra battery you have to consider this.

We got this particular unit because we wanted to tow in the North Maine Woods and camp on primitive sites and our days of climbing over a body to go to the bathroom are over.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully you'll find the answers you are looking for. Lots of helpful folks here.

As another 195RB owner, and having the Baja edition, I would agree with others have posted. For your stated use I would certainly look at the Baja model for the increased ground clearance and uplifted LT off-road tires. Tank capacities have improved since we bought ours which is a plus. However, cargo capacity is definitely going to be an issue - my 2015 model only has 735lbs available as delivered. I've added a second 85ah 12v battery and we don't pack a lot of extra stuff or carry much fresh water (around 8-10 gals most trips). Last time I ran it over a scale it was ~3700lbs total and 3260 on the axle (it's a 3500lb axle). We have about 22K miles on ours and it's been very reliable and really tows nice with the Andersen No-Sway hitch.

If you can get around the limited cargo capacity and manage the 20gal black and grey tanks it would work well. If you feel you need something sturdier or more cargo/tank capacities then I think you'll probably need to look a bit more and likely increase the budget some. If you are open to that you might take a look at the Winnebago Micro-Minnie line-up. They are about 6" wider than the SLX7 models but most have dual 3500lb axles and significantly more cargo capacity. Empty weights start around 3000-3500lbs.

Good luck with your search!
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #6

I forgot a couple of other reasons we like the 195.. That rear toilet is accessible on the road.. Too many times across Kansas with no rest areas ( and other places like Saskatchewan). Being able to tote and access my personal rest area is a plus.

We are looking at moving wider and dual axles but not till we are scheduled for new truck. The Minnies look nice but anything with a slide I want to see that I can access the bathroom anywhere without deploying it.

I bring the issue of a slide up as with the Hummingbird you are considering I am not sure you can get to the bathroom on the road.

We also love the counter space in the kitchen in the 195.. And an ample pantry..I don't see much in the way of either of those in the Hummingbird.. I do see a TV.. Frankly we don't often use our TV and mostly its stored in the wardrobe.. Its a personal choice of course.

Think of counter space as more efficient fish cleaning in bad weather.

Your wife may see this differently

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-29-2018, 04:47 PM   #7

Kim, we are like you in not using a TV that has not been out of the closet since we bought it. Simply to much trouble, but is nice to know we can pull it out for a rainy or sick day.

The closet holds most of our clothes with a few things in the cupboards by the bed. I added a shelf in the kitchen cupboard to hold two silverware trays as there is no drawer in the whole trailer. I have done a bunch of mods, some I found here and a couple I thought of. I may post a few pics.

Suggestion, make sure you get a bed lift, front stabilizers and at least a 27 group battery. Also, get the Goodyear Endurance tires , the Raineers are junk.

PM me if you have specific questions on the 195 RB.

Old 09-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Note that you will need solar, more batteries or a generator for 6 days if you use the furnace much or have any other big power uses such as TV, microwave, etc.
No plan for solar but my buddy runs a 2000W gennie, I will probably invest in one as well, mainly to recharge battery and run the A/C on the odd hot summer days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
We got this particular unit because we wanted to tow in the North Maine Woods and camp on primitive sites and our days of climbing over a body to go to the bathroom are over.
LOL, exactly the same reason I loved the 195RB floorplan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
However, cargo capacity is definitely going to be an issue - my 2015 model only has 735lbs available as delivered. I've added a second 85ah 12v battery and we don't pack a lot of extra stuff or carry much fresh water (around 8-10 gals most trips).
This may be an issue, the 2018 Baja edition has 30lb. LP tank and 30 gal. fresh water which I plan on fully filling before heading into the bushes. That would be like 300lb. before loading anything else onto the trailer. A second battery is another 50lb. that does not leaves me with much for anything else. I promised my wife that she will get her flushable toilet and daily shower... I know, she is high maintenance but after a few decades together, I realize that those are pretty meagre asks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
Frankly we don't often use our TV and mostly its stored in the wardrobe.. Its a personal choice of course.
, my wife is an ipad netflix binge watching person, as long as I can predownload HOURS of shows on her pad, she is good without a TV. I am more of a book person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Suggestion, make sure you get a bed lift, front stabilizers and at least a 27 group battery. Also, get the Goodyear Endurance tires , the Raineers are junk.
Are the Raineers "stock tires"? So I should factor in some more $$$ for tire upgrades? One thing I forgot to ask the dealer, the Jayco's come with full size spares right?

General questions on a few things dealers mentioned which confused me:

1) Black Water Flush - it is not on the 2018 SLX7s, I didn't think it is a big deal but certain dealers think so.
2) Exhaust fans - no factory ones on the SLX7s, is it really needed if you have AC?
3) Front stabilizers - again, not on the SLX7s, I assume they should be installed.
4) Power jack - nice option but needed?
5) Enclosed belly - the Baja has the enclosed belly, good for gravel/dirt roads?
Old 09-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #9

Front end stabilizers are a glaring omission .. We made out own out of angled two by fours butted against the frame and a ratchet strap connecting eye bolts on the other end of the two by fours.
Cost $ 4 bucks for the strap.

Im not even sure what a black water flush is.. We hold the flush down for five seconds for that once a day number two.

Power jack.. for what? The front hitch.. Again we have not needed.. The crank works well.

I have not missed the lack of exhaust fans other than the stovetop one.. Use it.. Otherwise you will activate the smoke detector.. Another hint is to open the door a crack and that creates a draft.

O geez . Insist on a free upgrade on tires. No No No No on Rainers.. They are crap. They are crap. We had one blow out and got Carlisles and there are many other upgrade brands..

That alone is a make it or break it deal. If all they want to give you is Rainers walk away. Yes the spare is full size. At least on the 195

We did a bed lift on our own too .. Somewhere here on the forum it is documented. Cost some 40 bucks and a little bit of lumber

You may have to allow about $200 for a better mattress and some lumber to beef up the bed support. Otherwise the plywood u eys out. We have some rudimentary carpentry skills that came in handy for front stabilizers and bed support.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #10

1) Black Water Flush - it is not on the 2018 SLX7s, I didn't think it is a big deal but certain dealers think so.
2) Exhaust fans - no factory ones on the SLX7s, is it really needed if you have AC?
3) Front stabilizers - again, not on the SLX7s, I assume they should be installed.
4) Power jack - nice option but needed?
5) Enclosed belly - the Baja has the enclosed belly, good for gravel/dirt roads?[/QUOTE]

1. The black tank is directly under the toilet, I just use a hose wand and have not had a problem.

2. I added a fan plus covers for both vents to keep out rain. Shower steam exhaust is great and can change the air in the whole trailer in minutes.

3. I had the dealer do them. Tried camping without and would not do without them.

4. I have an Andersen hitch that weights much less than conventional bar type hitches. My electric jack makes hitching up a snap with very little effort. Both are well worth it.

5. I don't have the Baja, my bottom cover is basically plastic cardboard.

Old 09-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #11

Added comments inline below in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
No plan for solar but my buddy runs a 2000W gennie, I will probably invest in one as well, mainly to recharge battery and run the A/C on the odd hot summer days. We have a 2kw Champion Inverter and it will run the 8K btu A/C. If you might be a heavier generator user I might recommend a 2400W or larger for a little extra cushion. With the 2kw I have to watch what I run concurrently if using the A/C or microwave - actually the microwave is a bit harder on it than the A/C.

LOL, exactly the same reason I loved the 195RB floorplan.

This may be an issue, the 2018 Baja edition has 30lb. LP tank and 30 gal. fresh water which I plan on fully filling before heading into the bushes. That would be like 300lb. before loading anything else onto the trailer. A second battery is another 50lb. that does not leaves me with much for anything else. I promised my wife that she will get her flushable toilet and daily shower... I know, she is high maintenance but after a few decades together, I realize that those are pretty meagre asks.

Don't forget about ~50lbs for full hot water tank as well. Also, the extra Group 24 battery that I added was 42lbs.

, my wife is an ipad netflix binge watching person, as long as I can predownload HOURS of shows on her pad, she is good without a TV. I am more of a book person.

Same here - our 195RB did not come with TV and we did not bother to add one.

Are the Raineers "stock tires"? So I should factor in some more $$$ for tire upgrades? One thing I forgot to ask the dealer, the Jayco's come with full size spares right?

If you get the Baja edition you shouldn't have to worry about the tires as it will come with uplifted LT off-road style tires and not the stock ST tires. It should also come with full size spare mounted on the rear bumper.

General questions on a few things dealers mentioned which confused me:

1) Black Water Flush - it is not on the 2018 SLX7s, I didn't think it is a big deal but certain dealers think so. You can get a "poor man's" flush like I did - called a Rhinoblaster. It has a clear 45 degree elbow with a place to attach your black water hose. After we dump the black tank I open this port and it sprays water back into the black tank. It's done a fine job for us so I've not missed the built-in flush
2) Exhaust fans - no factory ones on the SLX7s, is it really needed if you have AC? You can get after-market powered fans that will install in the existing roof vent. Look up Heng's Vortex models. We installed a single speed one in the bathroom and a multi-speed, bi-directional one in the main vent. If your plans are to spend more time dry-camping these are nice. I would also look at a Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze 12V portable fan as well. Plugs into the 12v accessory by the sink on the 195RB. We usually aim it at the bed to provide some cooling overnight.
3) Front stabilizers - again, not on the SLX7s, I assume they should be installed. The Baja edition will come standard with 4 stablizers.
4) Power jack - nice option but needed? In my opinion not needed
5) Enclosed belly - the Baja has the enclosed belly, good for gravel/dirt roads? In general, yes for additional protection when off the main roads. Downside is it's difficult to get at your tanks and external plumbing. Also, the main propane line from the tank to the various appliances is run outside of the plasti-core so is still vulnerable when off the beaten path.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 08:48 PM   #12

The Hummingbirds have a Baja option as well, we have a 17RK Baja and love it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
The Hummingbirds have a Baja option as well, we have a 17RK Baja and love it.
01Tundra, you are the first to reply with a Hummingbird, after owning it for a bit, do you still think that the extra initial investment was worth it?

Also, have you taken your 17RK on to dirt/gravels, I assume (since it is a Baja) it is more than enough to handle a few bumpy roads. With the higher ground clearance on the Baja editions, does it affect how the trailer get towed on paved highways at speed?
Old 09-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #14

We looked long and hard at both and bought the 195RB Baja. We felt the build quality of the Hummingbird was better, but everything else for us pointed to the 195rb. We had experience with "climb over" beds, and the walk around (really siddle around) was a must for my wife (and probably will be for me in the not distant future). Think about one of you climbing over the other in the middle of the night. An issue for some, not for others, but be honest with yourself about it.

The Baja has many advantages for your stated needs (for the 195 or Hummer) and I think would be a must. Larger fresh water tank, Goodyear AT tires, ground clearance, front stabilizers, better rock protection, slightly higher weight capacity (but as a percentage of usable storage, 250 lbs is quite a bit).

We did add an electric jack (easy self install), it really makes hitching with an Anderson WDH much easier, especially with my shoulder issues, but I did several trips without it first, and it wasn't necessary, just really nice, less than $200.

I've met quite a few Hummingbird owners, also, and they were all happy with their trailers. Just a matter of personal priorities.

And adding support under the middle of the bed is the first thing you will have to do, lots of threads on that one.
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 01:25 PM   #15

5. plastic cardboard.
hmmm
same material (coroplast) as campaign signs?

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRick View Post
And adding support under the middle of the bed is the first thing you will have to do, lots of threads on that one.
Do you mean adding struts so the underbed storage can be accessed or the middle of the 195RB's bed need to be reinforced?
Old 09-30-2018, 04:07 PM   #17

Struts are desirable, but reinforcement is probably necessary. Depending on your weights (or vigor of activity), you are likely to experience anything from sagging in the middle to actual collapse. Both have been reported here. It seems so universal, I did this before my first trip. I made a simple frame from 2x2 lumber with 2 uprights in the middle and screwed it in place across the middle. The stringers going down the underside of the bed platform rest on this frame, and it essentially partitions the storage for inside and outside access. I also added struts (harder than anticipated getting positions right so tension was ok).
MontanaRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:12 PM   #18

Baja

We’ve had our 2019’ 174bh Baja for a few trips and are loving it. We boondock on FS land and drive some pretty rough roads 25-40 miles one way. The Baja edition is perfect for us. Huge ground clearance, big water and propane tanks. We have two batteries and will add solar for next season. Great trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
71B49845-99DC-43AE-8EDE-D95D2A1B3456.jpg   D4975AE7-8F71-4B28-AB5C-F5FBB839192A.jpg  
gladecreekwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Do you mean adding struts so the underbed storage can be accessed or the middle of the 195RB's bed need to be reinforced?
Yes and yes.

Struts to the bed to access storage makes for handier access. also there is a gap between the side "tables" and the bed. Books and glasses can slide into the underneath storage.. Don't ask me how we know

We noticed our bed going to a u shape after about 100 days on it.. So we beefed up the plywood from below.. No indication of collapse at all.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 10-01-2018, 09:08 AM   #20

I forgot to mention that I had the dealer install the struts. ----- With 3/4 inch long screws. -------Which pulled out on one side after we switched to a foam mattress.

I reinstalled the struts with small bolts and large washers on the outside through the strut brackets. The dealer did install a small, very thin metal plate to help reinforce the bottom strut mount. Better than nothing, but not enough with the short screws used by the dealer.

I also noted that when sitting on the end of the bed to pull on my shoes that if felt it might be bending. I installed a 1 x 2 the length of the front lip to reinforce it plus some 2 x 2 in the middle of the bed as many others have done to prevent sagging.

I feel that the Zinus memory foam mattress does spread out weight out better and I don't sense any sag in the middle of the bed platform. A LOT BETTER mattress than the failed factory junk.