Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Rain leakage

I have a 184bh. I have owned for 2 years with no rain issues. We went on a trip and drive 3 hours in the rain. The front beds cushions were wet next to the front wall. Also the plywood under the seats. The I over cabinet was dry. I am thinking that the water may have gone up between the seams of the siding on front and ran down in the wall and came out between seem inside between paneling. This is the first time driving in rain. I have no issues with leakage with camper setting still. Has anyone else had this problem. On the front of the camper no sealant is in the cracks of aluminum siding. Any thoughts. I will check to see if under warranty.
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgriffis View Post
I have a 184bh. I have owned for 2 years with no rain issues. We went on a trip and drive 3 hours in the rain. The front beds cushions were wet next to the front wall. Also the plywood under the seats. The I over cabinet was dry. I am thinking that the water may have gone up between the seams of the siding on front and ran down in the wall and came out between seem inside between paneling. This is the first time driving in rain. I have no issues with leakage with camper setting still. Has anyone else had this problem. On the front of the camper no sealant is in the cracks of aluminum siding. Any thoughts. I will check to see if under warranty.
Rgriffis,

I have the same issue. Only it is on the drivers side cushion is wet and the plywood under the seat is wet also. I have removed the foam from the fabric and there is a plastic wrap around the foam. I am letting it all dry out before putting back in the trailer. I have had the trailer a year and I have never had a leak. I am thinking that it must either be what you mentioned or water in the A/C pan somehow dripping in. (It has rained where I live in the past 2 weeks.) I do not notice any water though around the A/C or on the fabric around the window.
honeymooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #3

We had this issue like this with a hybrid we previously had. During rainstorms rain was being "pressed" in between the seams of the front hatch. However I can see it doing the same thing with the siding if the rain is hard enough… I would be interested to know from some more experienced members whether they would recommend calking the seams of the siding in the front of the trailer?

Lady Wendolyn Jayflight 28BHS

For a tour of my glamorous, cool camper, and an "Ad a bifold door Mod: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventures.blogspot.ca

For these Mods: Master bedroom shelving in closets and countertop extension: https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...es-camper.html

For this Mod: Adding a wall light switch to the master bedroom:
https://mycoolcampingcaravanadventure...ht-switch.html
Ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 07:15 PM   #4

Well I have found out the water was definitely coming in the seems of the siding on the front. If i spray with water hose it leaks water through the wall then into the camper between the panels just like it did driving in the rain. I have contacted a dealer but my warranty ran out in June of this year. They are contacting Jayco to see if they will fix at good faith. I can easily fix the issue by sealing the horizontal seams on the outside. The only concern I have is if the water that got inside the wall is causing mold. I am tempted to rip out the paneling on the inside to insure it dries out but then I am not sure how to repair since the paneling has special covering on it. Not sure what to do now. Does everyone else's camper have sealant on the horizontal seams at the front side to prevent water from running up while driving in rain storm?
Rgriffis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #5

Leakage is a problem at some point with any RV. Things are going to move going down the road and all parts have different rates of thermal expansion. The thing is that you need to get out, check and reseal everything at least once a year.

John & Nancy
Jay Feather 25Z 2007
Ford F-150 XLT 5.4 Triton 2008
TeamFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:07 AM   #6

We had this problem as well last year in our 2012 184BH with exactly the same scenario, traveling in driving down pour. We caulked the seam between the diamond plate rock guard and the white aluminum siding and no leaks with the hose test
3fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

I have been having this same issue with our trailer for the past two years. My thoughts about caulking the seams now seem well founded. I am going out this afternoon to get a tube of caulking and caulk every seam on the front. Thanks.
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM   #8

I got my trailer, 2015 Eagle in March and it is in at the dealer for the third time trying to find a roof leak. Third times a charm, right?
dmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:07 PM   #9

good luck dmac. good luck indeed!
smacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #10

We fixed our leak last summer, as I mentioned above, but driving here the other day through heavy downpour we had a leak again. We will silicone or caulk it again but I think we just need to start pulling over when a big rain hits. Our Swift 184BH is low to the ground (have not lifted it yet) and I think that is part of the problem with the force of the rain water driving up at the lower front of the trailer.

In other fun, our skylight bubble in the bathroom leaked again at the same (only) crack that we found there last year. Hubby fixed with self leveling sealer for now but we will probably just put up a whole new bubble. Dealer has them in stock and says they have frequent issues with them.
3fries is offline   Reply With Quote