Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-07-2018, 06:01 PM   #21

Too bad the refrigerators that have locks line mine do can not lock the doors closed. They only prevent the doors from closing when we want the doors to stay open to air out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180607_195404148_LL.jpg   IMG_20180607_195452205_LL.jpg  

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 PM   #22

Check that door is really closed

I had that happen too, found the door was not really closing all the way. I could left up on door and then would hear latch engage. Dealer adjusted refrigerator door no problems sense. I bought and use the bars that go inside of fridge too just incase something happens again
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #23

Curtain small push rods in frig works wonders. Remove ridgid equalizer and install rubber one help absorb bumps pot holes etc.
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:38 PM   #24

I get it!!!

Ooh I feel your pain. I am in Michigan but the roads were fine. After 1 hr ride I was greeted with a door broken off its hinges and food all over the floor. Two cans of beer dented and leaked. Butter melted on floor and finally a bottle of syrup hit the floor and the cap had opened. Took it back for warranty work. The door had not been mounted properly and while it looked good superficially the latch was unable to lock properly and the bottom hinge was mounted slightly crooked. It damaged the wood trim on its way down.

We have the 29BH Whitehawk with the slide across from the fridge. It also has the table that is not mounted to the floor. To get home we folded the table down and put it between the slide and the fridge. Used pillows to protect everything.
amyjo248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #25

What a mess. You could also try child "proof" oven door lock.

We came home memorial day, to find our kitchen frig door open, and everything spoiled. Not nearly as bad as tour mess.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:27 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigironcoder View Post
Imagine the feeling of bouncing down the interstate for about 4 hours, sticking your head inside the trailer during a fuel stop just to make sure the microwave is still attached to the wall, but instead, you find the frig door wide open, food all over the floor, including a now open container of chip dip that's been rolling from one end to the other... I'm sure you get the picture.

Our 2018 195rb has a 3 cu ft Dometic, like many other SLX's. It has a gray catch that is so hard to press, we would have never guessed it would release the door on its own. But a close look shows it only catches by maybe 3/32", despite being so hard to press. Nothing to adjust, It's just made that way. Door hinges are as high as they can go, too.

When we get back home, I'll come up with some sort of travel latch. For now, I stuck a tension rod between the door and the dinette seat. Happy trails.
My mind's can see the mess and you getting boiling mad. That would really be bad to have happen.

I use the small grey stops to hold the fridge and freezer open when not in use. Those switches on our fridge keep the door open about 1/2 inch to let things stay dry when not in use. I think someone has told you that already.

I just make sure the doors are latched with the factory latch before we head out. The old camp trailers we had did have a extra pin to hold the doors closed.

I hope that never happens again.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:02 AM   #27

We use a child proof strap we got at Walmart. After our refer did the same thing. We are suppose to pick up our new 5th wheel next month. I’m going to put one on just to be on the safe side
DavidSD is offline   Reply With Quote