Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Carolina Shores
Posts: 6
Replace bathroom mirror

We have a sweet 2012 x23j hybrid. Has anyone replaced the bathroom mirror with a cabinet? We really need the storage.

Is the mirror just glued on? Can we remove it without destroying the wall? How would we hang the cabinet? Are there studs somewhere in the wall?

And input will be greatly appreciated.
Cattaztrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,424
I'm not familiar with your specific mirror mounting, but contact Jayco Customer Service (have your VIN handy) and they will email the bathroom wall framing drawings that may help with future mounting of a cabinet.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Mims
Posts: 38
Bathroom mirror

Have no idea how long this has been this was but I went to clean my bathroom mirror and noticed it has slipped down about two inches. Double back tape is exposed on the top. I tried to move it and cannot.

I use to be impressed with Jayco quality, but the longer I own one the less impressed I am
Cheekjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheekjo View Post
Have no idea how long this has been this was but I went to clean my bathroom mirror and noticed it has slipped down about two inches. Double back tape is exposed on the top. I tried to move it and cannot.

I use to be impressed with Jayco quality, but the longer I own one the less impressed I am
This is an old question, but I am having a similar problem to yours. I have a Jayco trailer and the bathroom mirror has slipped down about an inch and I see double back tape exposed on the top. I tried to move it and cannot. How did you resolve this problem? Did you ever try to remove the mirror and re-hang it?
DallasSteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 15,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSteve2 View Post
This is an old question, but I am having a similar problem to yours. I have a Jayco trailer and the bathroom mirror has slipped down about an inch and I see double back tape exposed on the top. I tried to move it and cannot. How did you resolve this problem? Did you ever try to remove the mirror and re-hang it?
I believe I've seen a thread a long time ago where the OP used dental floss as a "saw" on the back of their mirror to cut through the tape. That seemed to work quite well to get the mirror off the wall. I don't remember if they cleaned it up and reinstalled with 3M VHB tape, ot bought a medicine cabinet to put in its place.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 02:03 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
I believe I've seen a thread a long time ago where the OP used dental floss as a "saw" on the back of their mirror to cut through the tape. That seemed to work quite well to get the mirror off the wall. I don't remember if they cleaned it up and reinstalled with 3M VHB tape, ot bought a medicine cabinet to put in its place.
Thank you. That sounds like a good tip. My main fear is it may fall. I eventually plan to get it in a dealer and for now either want to keep it secure, or take it down. The side moldings are still firm and they seem to be keeping it pressed against the sticky tape and it's resting on a nail of the loose bottom molding.
Have you owned a Jay Flight for long? I've owned mine for 5 months and I've been very disappointed with the assembly. A lot of things are loose or don't fit well. I probably wouldn't buy another.
DallasSteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Newburgh
Posts: 6,307
Dental floss is definately the way to cut through the double sided tape. I manage Operations and Maintenance for a bus company and we use it all the time to remove items installed with double sided tape
__________________

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
Site Team
 
JFlightRisk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Newark, NY
Posts: 15,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasSteve2 View Post
Have you owned a Jay Flight for long? I've owned mine for 5 months and I've been very disappointed with the assembly. A lot of things are loose or don't fit well. I probably wouldn't buy another.
Yes we have. Bought ours new in 2012. I believe you'll find the same degree of craftsmanship throughout many of the manufacturers now. They're still dealing with the effects of the pandemic days. Lack of workers and the supply chain to mention the top two.
__________________
Moderator
Think you're too old to cry or swear out loud...walk into your hitch in the dark.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Port Coquitlam
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattaztrophy View Post
Is the mirror just glued on? Can we remove it without destroying the wall? How would we hang the cabinet? Are there studs somewhere in the wall?

And input will be greatly appreciated.
I used a heat gun to warm the mirror from the front and was able to pry it off starting from one corner.

I got a small, light mirrored cabinet I think from Ikea. I used double sided tape and put a couple screws into a stud.

I kept the door secured when traveling by drilling a small hole top and bottom near the opening side and feeding elastic through and securing it on the inside. The elastic goes over the outside of the mirror to secure it and out of sight along the side when the cabinet is in use. I can't supply a picture because we sold that trailer. It's a cheap and very effective solution.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:19 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Happy wife / happy life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,987
My son is a general contractor, he specializes in kitchen and bathroom remodels. This is what he uses to attach mirrors to walls. We got it at a glass/mirror shop when he remodeled our bathrooms. I don’t know if home depot carries it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0397.jpg  
__________________
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:55 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: Hendersonville
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISTEP View Post
I used a heat gun to warm the mirror from the front and was able to pry it off starting from one corner.

I got a small, light mirrored cabinet I think from Ikea. I used double sided tape and put a couple screws into a stud.

I kept the door secured when traveling by drilling a small hole top and bottom near the opening side and feeding elastic through and securing it on the inside. The elastic goes over the outside of the mirror to secure it and out of sight along the side when the cabinet is in use. I can't supply a picture because we sold that trailer. It's a cheap and very effective solution.
A heat gun sounds like a good solution. Maybe a hair dryer would work. I noticed that my mirror was slowly sliding down the wall and it seemed to happen in the afternoon when it was warm. I removed the bottom trim which was loose and I added a couple of screws to stop the slide. Yesterday I replaced it with a medicine cabinet, but now I have "DIY remorse". The cabinet is too deep and now I can't use the small sink very well. I can't lean my head over the sink. I may get motivated and buy a slimmer cabinet and replace the first one. Or I may just live with it.
DallasSteve2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Port Coquitlam
Posts: 240
Yes, a hairdryer would definitely work; it doesn't need to be screaming hot to soften the adhesive.

The cabinet we got was very shallow; maybe 3 inches or so. I glued little baskets to the shelves to make it more useful.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.