Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeck View Post
Silly me wanting to do the simple things first. To each their own. Then again it's easy to spend other people's money-- I say you just replace the whole axle!
Lol, it's less than 40 bucks to do it right. Good skill to have... kind of dirty, but not rocket science. High school dropouts have been packing bearings for over 100 years. We can do it lol.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #22

I find it hard to believe any towing insurance will take your tires off leave your unit on jack stands allowing you to get new tires put on. If they do I want to know what company it is, because I have to think someone is scamming the insurance company.. Are you sure your agent didn't say yes changing a tire is included in roadside assistance... as in a flat tire not doing to allow you to get new tires. You may have better luck with the tire company your buying your tires from..they may have a mobile service..

Please let us know how this all works out.. Good Luck !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #23

Oh come on grease is fun and it's easy to clean up.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:01 PM   #24

Just back one axle up on blocks and do one wheel at a time. Oooo ooooo did I wake the safety first patrol? Is a story about how a trailer rolled over on its side and caught fire and burned a whole town down because the proper jacks weren't utilized in a pinch about to appear? Love those stories the most.

Regards,
JP
2007 20BH Jayco JayFlight
2009 F150 5.4L SCrew Cab XLT
JPBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:41 PM   #25

From the questions asked by the OP... I'd recommend taking this to a reputable neighborhood garage and let them do it. While they have it jacked up, take the wheels to a tire shop and get tires mounted and balanced. I see nothing wrong with properly supporting the trailer on jack stands or blocks. I've only been doing mechanical stuff for 55 years or so... and the goobermint says I can work on airplanes that carry people......

I don't mean to demean the OP but it seems that person doesn't have the experience to do this alone. If the OP has someone that knows what they are doing that can help once, then maybe next time they could handle it.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:00 PM   #26

Wow, this thread has blown up since I've been away from it!!
Seriously quite the discussion going on here :-) However, I feel I must clear up a few things.
Not sure it makes a difference, but I am happy to report that I am not a HE but a she, which is in my profile, & I thought I mentioned that I didn't necessarily have the upper body strength to do this kind of work? I'm an inshape 5'6", definitely toned --but I'm no muscle bound broad! I'm not sure these days, if I could turn the lugnuts even!! But I'd sure try!
I'm intelligent. ok maybe that's debatable hahaa but I can certainly watch a video, and follow directions well enough as the next guy - - & I'm willing to learn! *and whereas I do not own a jack specifically for my TT or a grease gun for that matter, I did however just buy a new fondant roller that I am very pleased with!!
If I could afford to get TT towed to nearest Jayco dealer, I'd do it, but funds are limited-- I've got kids, need I say more??
---So, No extra $$$ but-- I'm motivated & determined!! If it wasn't for my creative DIY/ hacks, my house (&more) would be falling down around me! But it's actually quite a lovely home
If I knew a guy who could do this for me or with me, life would be grand. But I don't. Actually I do-- but they're all up in Oregon. Which is not where I am. Sometimes, I'm not sure men around here, are really the type to get their hands dirty lol which is a totally fine choice... But I'm all about saving a buck & I don't mind getting my hands dirty, though I admit I'd wear gloves!!!
I really did just want advice from people who I assume are much more knowledgeable in this area. And I appreciate everyone's replies
I'm a laid back, positive person, not afraid to try something I sometimes know nothing about, but I also want to be safe! Typically, it almost always works out--& I save $, & learn something new, So why not??
Plus, I believe in the power of Prayer.
-------
As I mentioned, we're heading to Joshua Tree, with a TENT. It's just a place to sleep. I've got "Loo" & an air mattress. What more do I really need? It's all about being in mother nature, & those stars!! I forsee lots of hiking, some climbing, & fun campfires!! We'll be just fine!

Re TT ------->>> I will deal with the TT later on, but if it's ok with y'all, I'll post an update when it gets all squared away!!!

Happy Camp'n!!!

**Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #27

You mentioned you have people in your neighborhood that work on their cars in their garage/drive, you should really go talk with them and ask them if they would help you do the camper, and to show you how to do it, because you want to learn how its done, but you don't have all the tools right now, maybe offer them a case of beer. I'm almost positive they would be happy to show you how to do it correctly, especially for the case of beer.
JTVaclavik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #28

Most of the guys I know would be fighting over who gets to help her.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #29

UPDATE
Ok, heeded everyone's advice--
Now my TT has 2new tires, & bearings good to go!!

Here's how it worked out:
1- towing came out, removed both flat tires for me & helped me set blocks in place. He even put tires incl spare into SUV. Super sweet guy.

2-I hauled tires into tire shop, they mounted & balance new tires, guy there has TT, came out & did my bearings​ for $50. Checked brakes too. Then put new tires on for me!! He also lifted battery into box & gave me helpful TT suggestions! I tried to give him $50 more but he only took 20!!

3- All hooked up & trying to back TT into very tight space... Guy driving by with his own TT stopped & asked if he could help, I said YES!!
And that's that
Thanks for all the advice/info!!
Guess I'll see ya on the road!!

PS
**Still leaving for Joshua Tree with a tent though bc kids SUPER EXCITED about sleeping in tent right up against the big rocks!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain

2004 Jayco Jayfeather Sport 165
2004 Lexus GX470
Sport165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:26 PM   #30

Have a great time. Glad it's all working out

We still take one of our tents for my 14 year old. She's a junior level 'prepper' and prefers having her very own space. If only my wife was of the same mind-set, my dog and I would have the entire camper to ourselves.