Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #1

Retracting Slide Blows Fuse

This only happens when retracting the slide using batteries only. Bows the main 30 amp fuse connected to the batteries under the trailer tongue. asked selling dealer's service manager and he said to only put in the slide with shore power or when hooked to tow vehicle while it is running.

I have bought a box of fuses but what if you are boondocking with no hook ups?

Is this normal?

Also, can this fuse be replaced with a circuit breaker of some kind?

Thank you!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

I've done mine on batteries only just a few times and have never had a problem. I have a super slide 3'x14'+ or -.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #3

Seachoice 30A Manual Reset Circuit Breaker
Attached Images

bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:11 AM   #4

We run ours in and out all the time on batteries and no problems at all. Our batteries will be 2 years old in another two months so I think they have done really well. We do keep our unit plugged in all the time when at our home location. That probably makes a big difference in maintaining the batteries and prolonging their shelf life.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #5

Something sounds wrong with your setup. You should be able to open and close the slide just on your house battery. It will quickly eat through your battery, but it should be able to do it without blowing fuses. I would ask the dealer to inspect your rig.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

We have an x213 with the same problem, we run the slide out, when it reaches near the end of travel the fuse will blow, on shore power no problem. I replaced the battery thinking it was a voltage problem which didn't help.
big-craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
This only happens when retracting the slide using batteries only. Bows the main 30 amp fuse connected to the batteries under the trailer tongue. asked selling dealer's service manager and he said to only put in the slide with shore power or when hooked to tow vehicle while it is running.

I have bought a box of fuses but what if you are boondocking with no hook ups?

Is this normal?

Also, can this fuse be replaced with a circuit breaker of some kind?

Thank you!

Murff
I'll assume that Jayco knows that sometimes a slide will have to be run in or out when there is just battery power available and that Jayco designed the system to accomplish that. Therefore, I think the response from your dealer is hokum.

Your trailer is under warranty and the dealer should fix the problem. There could be a wiring problem from the battery to the switch to the motor; there could be a grounding problem; the battery could be bad; the motor could be drawing too much current; there could be a mechanical issue.

You could check the battery by making sure it is charged and taking it somewhere for a current draw test. You could check that connections at the battery, at the switch, and at the slide motor are clean and tight; and also check the ground connection to the motor. You could check the current draw at the motor - you could even directly connect a known good battery via short wire lengths and a fuse to the motor and check current draw - if it works then, you'd know there was a problem with the wiring. If it still draws too much current, you'd know the motor was bad or there is a mechanical problem.

The circuit breaker idea is good, but won't fix the problem.

Or, you could insist the dealer fix it.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Site Team

Question: Do you have anything else on in the TT? Hot water heater, fans, radio.... everything needs to be off as you only have 30 amps to play with. There is a start up surge that may put you close to the 30 amp limit, and with ANYTHING else on could put you over the limit.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #9

Call Jayco and ask. Then you can tell the dealer Jayco said fix it.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #10

One other thought, Make sure you haven't put an enormous amount of extra weight under the seats.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:06 AM   #11

We have supplemented the slide a few times when camping off the power grid by jumping the trailer battery setup with the truck start battery...

I normally don't like to break one of my golden rules to NEVER NEVER EVER use my truck start battery except to start my truck. This is the way we get home...

All of my high current devices like the slide motor use auto reset circuit breakers like shown in above post. If they trip they will cool down a couple of minutes and reset things...

My fifth wheel has a setup like this on the wall in the battery compartment...

My OFF-ROAD POPUP has two 25AMP BREAKERS strapped together to give a 50AMP protection for the electric roof raise motor.

You may have something keeping the slide from running smoothly... Maybe a couple of sticks or something under there...

The earlier X213 prior to 2010 later had a recall to replace their slide motor for bigger motors.... That has got to be hugh slide moving that large bed end setup they have...

Everything has a maintenance schedule that needs attention.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

Thanks for the input. All will be checked once we return home. The rig does have a couple of warranty issues that the dealer will address. The fuse issue is on the list.

Again, thank you all.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #13

Probably not your problem, but perhaps worth a check - have you looked underneath the trailer at all? We had a non-jayco before now, and for a time it would blow a fuse on our slide without us doing anything. Turns out the wiring underneath the trailer had never been strapped down, and driving down the road would swing around eventually wearing through the wire insulation. This then allowed it to short to the frame.

Question; do the slides have their own breaker/fuse in the breaker panel? I would assume so, and this makes me question why the fuse on your trailer tongue is the one popping. Like someone else said, maybe there is something else going on. Out of curiosity, you might try removing the other 12V fuses from the box to temporarily disable those circuits, leaving just the slide - and see what happens then.

Paul
paul42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #14

Mine blew a fuse a few times but since I stopped or let say release the switch the second the slide out reach the travelling limit, when the sound of the motor change , no problemo

Ford F 150 Ecoboost Tow Max 3.73 2014

Equalizer hitch 1000/10000
homer1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #15

My X213 is doing the same thing. it pops right when the clutch is to kick in. I have no issues when connected to power. On my TT the rear slide sags as you extend / retract until it "seats" fully out / in.

David & Amy Adkins
2016 White Hawk 28DSBH
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Zeus, Little (the pups)
DJ-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote