Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-27-2019, 10:08 AM   #41
Site Team

Those merges are very scary if both drivers are not considerate of the other. I try and anticipate my entry into a merge and slow or speed up to make it smooth.

No matter what, the vehicle in the interstate lane has the right of way. Both have to be smart drivers and problems can be avoided. I have been in the interstate lane and a clueless car just would not speed up or slow down, so they just had to do their best at merging in my lane. I can't brake or outrun them so they are on their own in the weeds.

Truckers are usually the easiest to drive with in my experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 11:01 AM   #42

I don't find truck drivers, as a rule, to be any more or less courteous than Smart Car divers. Especially when it comes to them merging onto the freeway. I can count on one hand the number of times one has slowed to merge in behind me. They know they are bigger and can usually "bully" you into slowing down to let them in. They may be hauling America's goods but my time is just as valuable to me. Of course if it's a UPS truck and I am expecting a delivery... There are jerks and there are the considerate ones.
Joe Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:50 PM   #43

This is just our second season with our Hummingbird, and we've had no troubles as of yet. Like most here, we try to be considerate when pulling the trailer. As someone noted earlier, in Washington, and likely elsewhere, delay of five vehicles requires using a slow vehicle turnout to let other pass when on a two-land highway. On the interstate, I assume it's a state law that says left-lane for passing only so even if I'm doing 70, I try to stay in the right lane.

Somewhat ironically, as a cyclist, I can see how it is with a lot of drivers who think either cyclists or trailers or motor homes, or anyone who gets in their way and slows them down, doesn't belong. By and large, there are not that many jerks on the road. A number of idiots and maniacs as George Carlin showed us, but for the most part, we remember the outlier who happens to be a jerk as opposed to the hundreds and thousands who act as expected leaving no lasting impression.
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM   #44
Site Team

If I see a weigh station coming up, I usually get over to the middle or inside lane, anticipating trucks coming out of the weigh station and all needing a merge. Same with 2 interstate merges.

It can save a sphincter tightening experience.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:28 AM   #45

Being up high in a large one ton truck gives you the opportunity to see down into others vehicles as you pass them or vise versa. It’s amazing the amount of times I encounter an inconsiderate or oblivious driver that’s actually on a smart device. Driving 70 mph weaving in the fast lane with one hand on the wheel and the other on a phone typing or surfing. Especially obvious when you get the person who speeds up and slows down over and over. You can tell when they start concentrating on the device typing and surfing and their speed steadily drops because they aren’t “driving” anymore. I use a smart phone or tablet to navigate but it’s at eye level on the dash. I’ve answered texts before but it’s speech to text or a phone call back saying I’m driving. It’s way to easy for the brain to become fixated for even a moment to what’s on the screen and moments are lifetimes when traveling at highway speeds. I was guilty and once or twice getting pulled into a text or trying to find somewhere using maps or google. Then I self disciplined and realized quickly that one brake check, accident, pedestrian, etc. could be me dead or in prison for life. It’s not worth it and unfortunately it’s rampant on the roads. We used to pace people like that in the ambulance and then hit the lights and sirens and give them the “eye” when they realize they are being idiots. Be safe everyone!
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM   #46

I drive with the expectation of encountering the occasional moron. But never had a low speed related problem.

Max speed for vehicles towing in SoCal is 55 so we get passed a lot, even at 62 mph which I seem to get away with.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:27 PM   #47

I’m not trying to prove anything or win any races while pulling our TT. Slow and steady wins the race. I live in Southern California and all of our trips (3 so far) have involved going up a mountain pass of some sort. My rule of thumb is when I get more that 3 or 4 cars behind me I’ll pull off on the side shoulder run (turnout) and let everyone pass by me. I’ve gotten a few thumbs up for doing so by cars passing us by which makes me feel like I’m doing the right thing. Good luck.
CaliGaZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #48

I never go over 65mph and always try to stay in the right lane. In 10 years of towing I’ve only had one person show any annoyance. Nothing crazy just an unhappy look as they passed me.
micron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:38 PM   #49

I pull a 42 ft Pinnacle with a one ton Crew Cab DRW so I am about 56 ft long. I have had 5-6 incidences where a semi will pass me and then pull in before their back trailer wheels are along side my cab. i have to jam on the brakes and dive to the shoulder to avoid being hit. Twice I have been driven clear out in the dirt off the shoulder. It really gets me ticked as I drive the right lane at 62-65 mph and keep a safe distance from the traffic in front of men. Absolutely a dangerous way to pass.
2018 GMC Sierra Denalli 4WD 1T CC Dually Duramax/Allison Nav Sys,-Sun Roof-On Star-XM Radio
serfas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:40 PM   #50

Here’s a good one I experienced the other day.

2-lane road and the trees were overgrown. I was towing our 339FLQS and I had to move to the middle of the road for a brief moment to avoid one of the trees.

It was a long straight stretch and a car was coming toward me, but a long ways off. When they neared me they swerved at me and both the driver and passenger were holding double-birdies in the windshield at me.

Apparently they felt I was threatening them by moving to the middle and their feeble brains couldn’t compute my need to avoid the tree.

I laughed the rest of the way home.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:41 PM   #51

I've seen lots of mention of "turnouts". If those are available, definitely use them. If I were driving a regular vehicle and a slow-mover refused to use the turnouts, that would annoy me greatly. I try to put myself in the other driver's shoes and stay out of the way as much as possible or reasonable. Same when I'm driving my daily driver. No way would I expect a slow-mover to drive on the shoulder for me, because I wouldn't do it for them. But they better move over into the designated area for slower traffic when it's available.

That's like our "passing lanes". As I mentioned before, we have lots of 2-lane rural roadways around here. Most of them are being modified or built with "passing lanes" every few miles. Not just a hashed center line, but an actual lane opens up for slower traffic to give faster traffic a chance to pass. For me it's automatic to move into the right side of the passing lane section, no matter what I'm driving.

The only thing that annoys me with those is that some people seem not to understand that lane is temporary. They'll just pace me in the left lane and not pass. Then when the lane comes to an end and I have to merge back over, they seem not to know or care they are now in the way.

I don't know about everyone else, but when I took driver's education, I learned to reside in the right most lane unless I was actively passing someone or there was a lighted emergency vehicle on the shoulder. Back then I think it may have just been polite, but now it's the law (at least here in TX). Thankfully tickets are being written for the abhorrent behavior of driving in the left lane every day.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:44 PM   #52

Talking

The only time I remember a "Road Rage" driver was on Interstate 8 in California near El Centro. For some reason California posts speed limits for vehicles with trailers at 55. Some "driver" blew past us flipped us off slowed down/sped up and exited at the next exit.
Still to this day don't know why he was so upset.... maybe late for duty at the NAS El Centro or really needed a restroom break......
snerdwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerdwack View Post
The only time I remember a "Road Rage" driver was on Interstate 8 in California near El Centro. For some reason California posts speed limits for vehicles with trailers at 55. Some "driver" blew past us flipped us off slowed down/sped up and exited at the next exit.
Still to this day don't know why he was so upset.... maybe late for duty at the NAS El Centro or really needed a restroom break......
My wife always says "remember, they could be speeding to the birth of their child" or "rushing someone to the hospital".

me: "mmm hmm sure honey..."

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #54

B RAD, I agree with you. On the other hand, I drove Tractor Trailer over the road for several years and I felt a bit nervous passing Rv'ers pulling tow behinds. I knew from first hand experience the wind effect on these white knuckle guy's tow combos. I would do my best to stay as far left as possible as not to create undo wind on those guy's. Now pulling my 5er I get the guys in their jacked up RAM's Chevy's etc. pulling right up on my arse end like I am going to pull over and let them pass! Mind you I am in the slow lane doing the speed limit or 5 under. I tow a max of 60 mph. I have my rear view Furrion camera running all the time and can't believe all the hand gestures etc. Gotta love it!
Old 07-31-2019, 01:46 PM   #55

Speed limit and towing - Hummingbird

We just returned with our Hummingbird from a trip around Michigan. We traveled at 60-65 mph and had no problems in the right lane when the speed limit was posted 70 mph. Most motorists and truckers understand and cut you some slack. Just be courteous and kind and they will respond with same. Enjoy your Hummingbird! We love ours.
Jack N Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:55 PM   #56

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJayco View Post
I always stay in the right lane unless I need to get in the left for turning.
If they want to get mad at me, that's fine, because I will never see them again anyway.
I have not had anyone cut me off, but I have had people get in front of me while merging on the highway doing slower speed then I was doing. I keep enough space between me and the vehicle in front of me.
I do the above as well and have not had any problems. I will say though that through saint Louis I sometimes drove in the center lane on the interstate to avoids the merging traffic. My wife, recommended it and said watch what the semis are doing.
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:29 PM   #57

Gad 36 H . Ditto.Why SOME people,and there are many,can't accelerate on the merge is beyond my comprehension. More than once my trailer was almos hit.I guss they didnt expect a towed vehicle. Scarey too,are the faces of horror.Those whom needed to brake at end of merge.Coming off cruise,slowing ,and flashing headlites just don't give them the idea.
John wedell from NY. My friend,you didn't need elaborate.I guessing you 2018 rig will soon need major repair. When you get lost in pot holes for what seems like minutes in NYC,a TANK wouldnt last.
mikesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:47 PM   #58

I try to drive in the middle lane when in city traffic. The road narrowed without warning, leaving me in the fast lane. Traffic was heavy and I couldn't move over. I was passed on the right by some DITWAD who cut back in front of me so closely it set off the collision alarm on my Subie. NOT a good experience! I'm usually cool behind the wheel but that one scared me!.
sailorpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:22 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
One of the worst are the drivers entering the freeway expecting you to slow down to let them in. I'm already on the highway. It's their responsibility (and it's the law) to adjust their speed to merge in with the flow of traffic. I will move over if and when I can but I don't slow down just so they can get in front of me. A few times, however, I've had to brake and lay on the horn. I'm not so stubborn as to let some obliviot run into me :-) I wonder how some of these people pass a driving test.
Also one of my pet peeves. The on coming traffic should as you said adjust their speed to the speed of the highway traffic, but, they will almost everytime, slow down to see what you are doing then after causing you to slow down they will speed back up and move into the fast lane. The operative word is MERGE.
1St SGT Pete
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:48 PM   #60

Southern California! I've driven in dozens of big city freeways and never seen so many drivers that drive up acceleration ramps without regard to vehicles in the lane they are going to enter and then drive all the way to the end of the merge lane and finally pull into the lane . And you just better get out of their way. It's as if they were taught to drive to the end of the merge lane.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote