Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2019, 05:54 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
She is not supposed to “let” you merge... reading a book has nothing to do with it. If you are merging onto the freeway it is your responsibility to do it in a legal and safe manner.

I was trying to merge in a safe and legal manner. Is is allowed to read a paperback book while driving where you're from?

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witt74 View Post
I was trying to merge in a safe and legal manner. Is is allowed to read a paperback book while driving where you're from?
As I said, reading a book has nothing to do with it. She has the right of way. Moving over may be the courteous thing to do but she was not obligated to do that. There are rules of the road for a reason.

2019 Jayco Precept Prestige 36H
GAD36H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAD36H View Post
As I said, reading a book has nothing to do with it. She has the right of way. Moving over may be the courteous thing to do but she was not obligated to do that. There are rules of the road for a reason.
Perhaps if she wasn’t breaking the law by having her head in a book, she might have done the “courteous thing.” So yeah, reading a book does have something to do with it. Just sayin’.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:04 PM   #84

Quote:
It's your job to speed up or slow down as necessary. You drive your car and let them drive theirs.

I move left if possible but, if not, I maintain my speed so the merging vehicle can judge whether to pull in front of me or drop in behind.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:39 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by B RAD View Post
I have many years and miles of towing experience but usually with a tow vehicle that has been rated way higher than needed for what I was towing so I was abe to keep up or maybe a little over speed limit. Now I am looking at purchasing a Hummingbird with loaded up weight around 3300 lbs and towing it with a 4400 lb rated Audi Q5 so I will stay under 6o or 65. Have you all had any problems with car or truck drivers that get mad when you are going slow. Don’t want people passing real close or cutting me off because of road rage. And please don’t make this post about my Audi not being a decent tow vehicle unless you have actual experience with it or something close.
There’s always gonna be Aholes on the road unfortunately. Get yourself a quality dash camera! I format the SD Card before every towing tripthen if something happens I can PROVE I wasn’t at fault! By reformating the SD card before the trip the ONLY information on the card is from the trip.
If there should be an accident, show the LEO the video do not give him/her card they can record the video with their body cam or cell phone. I also carry a spare SD card.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:10 PM   #86

The only ones I hate are this.

1. Pass me on a two lane road then you slow down.
2. Cut in front of me, expecting that I have fabulous breaking power.
3. Going 50 MPH on a two lane 65 MPH road, forcing me to pass you with a 33.5’ trailer.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #87

Right, definitely a valid concern. We pull a 3,000 lb. Jayflight 17 Slx with a small Mercedes glk250 diesel, rated to 3500. No issues yet, West coast trips we run 55-60 no problem. Next week is our first trip to altitude and traffic (Tahoe), if we survive I’ll update this post if any issues.
bchandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #88

Quote:
Driving distracted is not a new thing. Years ago, coming home for work, while getting off I12 to merge onto I59, a lady in a small car would not change lanes to let me merge. No traffic in any of the other lanes. Since I was in my F250, I had a good view into her car. She had a paperback book spread open on her steering wheel. Must have been a really good book!
Oh, I've seen that a lot over the years. My favorite was the guy eating a bowl of cereal while on his morning commute on the Interstate. At least he stayed in the right lane...
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote